What Did You Do With Your Rover Today?

AdvRovr

• 1 month later...

Spent the early AM yesterday installing new headlamps from JW Speaker.  I got a 2 pack of them in via Amazon Prime.  Here is the model:

JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 - 7" Round LED Headlight - Chrome

Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 2.55.21 PM.png

End result:

truck_front.jpg

Afterward, I finally had a chance to re-attach the aluminum trim that holds down the carpets.  It took forever for the rubber pads and carpets to dry out from the deep water crossing on the Mojave trip (the constant rain and humidity for the past two weeks has not helped.). I knocked down any sharp nicks or gouges in the metal and replaced all of the screws with new 1.0" stainless ones.

Al_rails.jpg

Did a nice 'sprucing-up' of the interior;  wiped down as much dust as I could get to and generally vacuumed up the French fries and Pringles from various trips that had made their way past the Range Rover classic seat controls...

Last thing I needed to refresh was the rear ladder.  The roller bearing assemblies got destroyed by the endless rain we've had the past couple of weeks, so I rehabilitated those -- while at it, I decided to remove the roller frame assembly from the rear tailgate to clean out the detritus that had built up over the years (mainly pine needles and mud.)

I got through the first 3 bolts that attached using rivnuts -- the final (of course) pulled the rivnut out with the bolt, so I created a new project while working on another.

Three bolts are still pretty good, so I put it back together until I can figure out this whole rivnut thing.

Not the rover, but I got another step closer to having it's new home functional.  Got the new bench built and a coat of primer and a coat of paint on it.  Now waiting for it to dry, then I can load the tool boxes into it and put it in it's final position.  Then just have to mount the bench top. (2 layers of 3/4" ply sandwiching a layer of 3/4" particle board with 12 ga s/s over the top  - going for sheer mass!)

Well, my Rover is miles away but I am thinking of her...

Ordered up some parts to take home on the plane. New polybushings for my front radius arms plus some Wheel Arches so I can finally do some cutting on the wheel wells using them as a template and get more clearance. Hopefully the arches will be transportable as my checked luggage and aren't too big...

Getting ready for my trip to Solihull and poking around the Birmingham area over the weekend looking for Rover parts.

In the last couple of weeks I finally installed a new blue tooth sound system in the Defender, and also replaced the shift lever in the Series after a mid-shift break.  No bueno.  It was a slow ride home, but the new shifter works great.

post-436-0-48758900-1484668996_thumb.jpg

Finished 2 projects between rains from last week.

Spare tire carrier and flooring on roof basket.

No more wheel/tire rattling the crap out of the door driving down those corrugated roads.

And if you ask how I know the spare carrier was installed successfully and correctly?

Like all other Land Rover projects before this, you find yourself with few left over parts you have no clue where they go or are from... yet, not enough to make you say you got it wrong ;)

post-999-0-61220400-1485100259_thumb.jpg

post-999-0-27983200-1485100278_thumb.jpg

post-999-0-67153700-1485100294_thumb.jpg

post-999-0-54731200-1485100321_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Took MacDennis up to Cow Mountain yesterday! Got a little muddy, shot some guns, and saw a dumb kid in his fathers Duramax get super stuck. Its a good thing he had those chrome 20s. Even more fun to watch his buddy try and yank him out with a Tacoma. :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/UcKZgns.jpg

Edited by Rum_Ham

Just today:

>Power steering pump appears to have either grenaded or blown the gasket right behind the belt pulley. Leaks about a liter of ATF from the pump a day. That and now my stereo no longer drowns out all the whiney gears... 

>Also if I even look at her wrong she won't start. 45 min this morning at 0600 getting her to idle (ignition wires have to have their chakras aligned) . Guess I futzed with the IACV and didn't reset something so the CEL 048 comes on too. 

Not happy with her but magically she gets me to work every day so far! 3 months of commuting end of February!

This last Saturday:

>New EP90 in the transfer box

>changed oil to 15w-40 and swapped the filter

>diffs fluid level perfect, fluid gold (so weird coming from an LR3 where they're always dirty it seems)

>trans could use new fluid but level is perfect

>cleaned IACV

>cleaned vacuum hoses (1 was clogged with oil)

>vacuum leak went away as result

I was able to get some time in the garage and replace my alternator. Took me an hour or so as was my first time and had to sort out the proper tools.

Hardest part was getting the belt back on but managed that fairly well.

It's amazing how much quieter it is now. The old one had such a horrible vibration.

So now onto more projects as I'm trying to get it to a point where I feel comfortable driving it good distances as I do enjoy it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Why can't I mount the wheel...seems like something is missing ^_^

it's just for your entertainment-lol

Actually, I'm replacing the heavy duty CV joint and replacing  all seals, bearings and rebuilding the calipers on the 90 RRC, just waiting for parts to arrive.

post-416-0-16603300-1486629535_thumb.jpg

I can see the problem.  Your supposed to use salted mixed nuts in your front axle.  The unsalted ones go in the rear.  

I also put some inside the swivel ball... I read on the internet that it helps with lubrication. Good thing the Rover has no peanut allergy!!

Not to thrilled with how little air my power tank holds and how often I need to go fill it so I decided to install a ARB compressor in my Landy to make things easier. So far this unit has worked great. Did 8 tires, 4 32's and 4 33's with ease without heating up or shutting down. Now I can help air people up on trails without having to worry about not having enough air or my tank freezing over. Ever on the ropes about getting on board air I recommend it. Edited by renelozano

Not to thrilled with how little air my power tank holds and how often I need to go fill it so I decided to install a ARB compressor in my Landy to make things easier. So far this unit has worked great. Did 8 tires, 4 32's and 4 33's with ease without heating up or shutting down. Now I can help air people up on trails without having to worry about not having enough air or my tank freezing over. Ever on the ropes about getting on board air I recommend it.

Loves me some ARB compressor (I bought the Twin with tank.)  Which one did you go with and did you do a permanent installation or a mobile install?

The ARB-in-a-box is a nice way to share the love.  I can hand over the entire box and anyone can air up without driving over to me. 

Admittedly, the two Viairs Don installed in his truck look sweet...

Loves me some ARB compressor (I bought the Twin with tank.)  Which one did you go with and did you do a permanent installation or a mobile install?

The ARB-in-a-box is a nice way to share the love.  I can hand over the entire box and anyone can air up without driving over to me. 

Admittedly, the two Viairs Don installed in his truck look sweet...

I did a permanent install under the passenger seat, I to went with the twin compressor. I thought about getting the tank but didn't like the size and shape so have ideas in the future to custom make my own tank. I was told I could possibly run my impact on my setup with the tank but I'm not sure how that will work.

I did a permanent install under the passenger seat, I to went with the twin compressor. I thought about getting the tank but didn't like the size and shape so have ideas in the future to custom make my own tank. I was told I could possibly run my impact on my setup with the tank but I'm not sure how that will work.

I would also be curious how impact tools work.  The twin compressor in a box is also sold to work with impact wrenches and the like but I haven't actually tested it.  I don't have any preconceptions it will do a great job but might be passable when needed.