What Did You Do With Your Rover Today?

AdvRovr

I didn't do much of anything to MY rover.  

Now, I might have spent all day doing something to somebody ELSE'S rover....  Not gonna tell just yet as the project is on-going...    :D

Oh, that would be your friendly neighborhood Happel (me).

Actually I'm afraid I'm not exactly in your neighborhood since I'm up in Walnut Grove (south of Sacramento) but I'm always willing to help out with work space for a club member.  I have this nifty thing that magically makes the truck go up in the air so you can walk under it.... :)

Just a matter of timing.  I'm full-up this weekend on another project, next is the Gold Lakes trip, and I believe I'm going to be helping install some sliders on an LR4 the following, but I might be able to do some work with you that weekend as well.  Of course somewhere in there I need to work on my own junk too.

hi don! ok. good to know. yeah, walnut grove is a bit of a hike but would be cool to do some work out there at some point :-) leme see what my own schedule looks like and see if  we can work anything out!

for now, i am gonna have my neighborhood shop take care of the leak. one of the bummers of living in the city ... no room to work !! :-)

Day two of working on the Mystery Guest Rover has not gone as smoothly as hoped.  A few set-backs mean the mystery guest will have to return after Gold Lakes for a follow-up.  It did leave under it's own power with shiny new parts installed but not completed.  Pics have been taken, but you'll have to wait for the full report.

Seriously - it was a big job.  Swapping a motor would have been easier!

Nice Don.  Sounds like my 2-1/2 day estimate was a little light then?

We did two LONG days and didn't finish.  There were some set-backs that cost us some time but I'd say 2.5 is still tight.  Mystery Guest didn't arrive as early on Saturday as we'd hoped but we still got going around 10AM when we'd hoped to start closer to 8.  He forgot to bring the gear puller so we had to go into town on the first night and rent one of those - that's about 90 minutes lost.  Then on Sunday we had to return the puller and go 3 places trying to find steel to build things up - that was about 2.5 hrs lost.  And we lost about an hour trying to figure out what happened to his hand brake - the lever actually broke internally.  That will have to be replaced but it was late and we didn't feel like diving into my parts rig at that point.

Having done it once, we could do it now MUCH faster.  I'm sure you'll understand since you're the only one of us who's actually done this before.  We tried to sneak up on the cut-out, so mark, cut, test-fit, repeat - several times.  Knowing now we would just dive in and start cutting.  Neither of us realized how much tear down there would be on the TC either or we could have just torn straight into it instead of poking around and pulling up videos of how to rebuild one.

He'll be back after Gold Lakes and we'll finish it off.  That will give him a chance to sort out a few other questions, plus we'll have a better idea of what we need to do so we can be better prepared.  Still, if I were telling somebody about it I'd probably tell them 3 days minimum and definitely you'll need 2 people.  

I think Mystery Guest got home around 3AM. He reported the drive home went fine but was extremely hot even with my welding blanket blocking some of the openings.  He may need some asbestos pants for the drive back up here in 2 weeks :)

But hey, we're freakin' experts now, so if anybody else wants to take this on we've got it DIALED baby!

Edited by DHappel

• 2 weeks later...

On Friday I drilled out some broken slider bolts, tapped them for M10s, and installed new hardware on the LR3

On Saturday morning I replaced the rear driveshaft on the LR3 - while checking up on those broken bolts I saw the boot had torn and slung grease everywhere.  Bummer as that wasn't very old at all.

About 9:00 Saturday Antonio arrived and we installed sliders on his LR4.

Around 11:00 (?) a friend of his arrived who had just installed sliders on his LR4 and I helped him sort out some of the trim bits.

About lunch time (strange how that worked) Graeme arrived.

About 2:30 we dove back into his truck and completed the shift and brake linkages for his underdrive as well as sheeted in the opened-up transmission tunnel.  We stopped about 11:30 and started again this morning around 8:00, finishing up about 11:30.  

We learned that in low-low-1st, you can't even get the speedo to move at redline.... :)

On Friday I drilled out some broken slider bolts, tapped them for M10s, and installed new hardware on the LR3

On Saturday morning I replaced the rear driveshaft on the LR3 - while checking up on those broken bolts I saw the boot had torn and slung grease everywhere. Bummer as that wasn't very old at all.

About 9:00 Saturday Antonio arrived and we installed sliders on his LR4.

Around 11:00 (?) a friend of his arrived who had just installed sliders on his LR4 and I helped him sort out some of the trim bits.

About lunch time (strange how that worked) Graeme arrived.

About 2:30 we dove back into his truck and completed the shift and brake linkages for his underdrive as well as sheeted in the opened-up transmission tunnel. We stopped about 11:30 and started again this morning around 8:00, finishing up about 11:30.

We learned that in low-low-1st, you can't even get the speedo to move at redline.... :)

I so want one!! Are they still available??

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

It's pretty cool, no doubt, but certainly not for everybody.  It's a LOT of work to install one and requires a fair bit of fabrication.  It would go much faster now having done one already but it's no simple bolt-on to be sure.

It's pretty cool, no doubt, but certainly not for everybody. It's a LOT of work to install one and requires a fair bit of fabrication. It would go much faster now having done one already but it's no simple bolt-on to be sure.

Well I know where to go whenever I get one...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last week at Casa de Happel....

It was invasion of the LR4s

A couple pics of Antonio and Louis's LR4s getting sliders, and some old guy covetously looking on  ;)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Gm1YqwpJXpe3WdUN2

Speaking of which, said old guy should post up some pics of his little project.  I have a few, but not many.

Put a new switch for my remote winch control and put two automatic door locks from my donor truck.. Now on to Dusy prep

That's something I've meant to do for years and just never get around to.  I don't know why more people don't do it.

Yea it makes things easy. Only downside is when you need to re-spoil yourself have to get the old remote out.If i had to redo it prob just go with the new wireless setup and have the original as backup.

Edited by lutz

installed new tie rod ends to the track rod. What a pain to remove and replace parts gunked up with 20yrs of dust and crap.

Took a bench vise, a cheater bar and help from Naplm00 to remove the tie rod ends and then to put new ones on - naturally bar tore one of the new boots. Replacing the boot was easier than R&R the tie rod ends. 

Still have to mount and run power for the radio before next Sunday's trip. 

Yea it makes things easy. Only downside is when you need to re-spoil yourself have to get the old remote out.If i had to redo it prob just go with the new wireless setup and have the original as backup.

ha....just caught the typo.  I need to be re-spoiled!

installed new tie rod ends to the track rod. What a pain to remove and replace parts gunked up with 20yrs of dust and crap.

Took a bench vise, a cheater bar and help from Naplm00 to remove the tie rod ends and then to put new ones on - naturally bar tore one of the new boots. Replacing the boot was easier than R&R the tie rod ends. 

Still have to mount and run power for the radio before next Sunday's trip. 

Wow - I would have expected that to go pretty easy.  But at least you're making progress!  

Wow - I would have expected that to go pretty easy.  But at least you're making progress!  

Don,

It isn't unusual  for them to be frozen.  The slot allows water ingress and corrosion (no anti-seize).  Many alignment places give up trying to do them.  That white D1 I had was totally solid, so I just put on a heavy duty one.  No amount of heat and a 4' lever would move it.

Regards,

Graeme

I must be spoiled ... the LR3 steering rod ends were easy.  Of course, it's always been a CA car too.

And most of the parts on your vehicle have been changed within the last few years.  We're talking about vehicle with 20 years of deferred maintenance ...

On Katrina you can undo the locknuts and the bars can be turned by hand .... because she has an automatic anti-seize and rust prevention mechanism fitted .... (okay, so some would say she leaks oil, but it amounts to the same thing).

Regards,

Graeme