What Did You Do With Your Rover Today?

AdvRovr

First, I took a sledge and piece of 2x4 to the slider on the D1 ... now the passenger door doesn't rub when opening.  :)

Then I got the '88 RRC out, put some fresh gas in it, pumped a couple shots of grease into the u-joints, hosed it off, and took it for a little spin in prep for passing it along to a new owner.  I really like this truck, and it drives pretty well.  But with the D1 'roadster' I don't think I'll be building it into the crawler I had originally planned.   Besides, I still have the Portland RRC to play with should I feel the need.  :)

https://goo.gl/photos/qBgisQ5puk6CFp616

Then I got the '88 RRC out, put some fresh gas in it, pumped a couple shots of grease into the u-joints, hosed it off, and took it for a little spin in prep for passing it along to a new owner.  I really like this truck, and it drives pretty well.  But with the D1 'roadster' I don't think I'll be building it into the crawler I had originally planned.   Besides, I still have the Portland RRC to play with should I feel the need.   :)

https://goo.gl/photos/qBgisQ5puk6CFp616

Don,

Sounds like a John Deere engine is installed ...

Graeme

I assume you're talking about the noise of the broken speedo cable?  Otherwise, you've got some pretty good ears to pick up something wrong with the motor in those videos!

Besides, if it WAS a Deere, I'd have to charge extra.  After all, people are all worked up about wanting diesels in their Rovers on this side of the pond!

Yes, that's why the GPS.  Speedo was in/op when I got it.  Sounds worse in the video than reality but you certainly hear the cable rotating around back there.  tack tack tack tack...

Re-painted the rear bumper and had to use the Hi-Lift and ratchet strap to get the slider parts into position. In between that, Bill Wester and I figured out how to install the Terratrip in Erin's rig for the Rebelle Rally.

Hmmm...it looks like both legs are in use in that pic.

installed the poultry flooring. roof rack looking pretty sweet :-)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5-huD-U6okIaEp5dkw2dkxsYlU

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5-huD-U6okINEZvX19pZUYyNHc

ps: still deciding on the gap at the front. if i don't fill it in, i have one 2'x4' piece for sale :-)

pps: so, in this forum, you insert pics as links, yes? i couldn't find a "attachment" icon. plmk!

installed the poultry flooring. roof rack looking pretty sweet :-)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5-huD-U6okIaEp5dkw2dkxsYlU

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5-huD-U6okINEZvX19pZUYyNHc

ps: still deciding on the gap at the front. if i don't fill it in, i have one 2'x4' piece for sale :-)

pps: so, in this forum, you insert pics as links, yes? i couldn't find a "attachment" icon. plmk!

This looks excellent! Never though of using poultry flooring.  :lol:

This last weekend Theresa and I scrubbed out the Defender, tracked down some rattles, ordered far too many parts, and did an oil change. As an added bonus we got booted from the HOA guest parking spot :mellow: for scrubbing the interior....

If only my garage were taller...

Don it looks like you got that lawn mower issue sorted out. 

ha....yes.  Snapper 0, Honda 1

Even broke out the weed eater and trimmed up the edges.  How domestic of me.

This looks excellent! Never though of using poultry flooring.  :lol:

This last weekend Theresa and I scrubbed out the Defender, tracked down some rattles, ordered far too many parts, and did an oil change. As an added bonus we got booted from the HOA guest parking spot :mellow: for scrubbing the interior....

If only my garage were taller...

Has anybody ever NOT complained about HOAs??

If only you knew somebody who had a shop and was willing to let Rover people come play in it.   :)

Edited by DHappel

Changed injectors last night with a low mileage set I was given some time back. While I was in there I cleaned the throttle body, bypassed the throttle body heater, and changed a leaky drivers side valve cover gasket.

Tonight I pulled the inspection cover on the trans and checked the reluctor tabs on the flex plate to make sure none were bent or otherwise looking worse for wear. Spacing was consistent and pretty close to spec of 4.5mm all throughout. Fixed passenger rear window regulator with a couple of fifty cent nylon washers.

Need to replace my front motor mounts, again... hopefully the JAG V12 mounts I picked up will last a bit longer. And I might just have time to do my headliner and reinstall it before we lave to make the drive up to Lassen via Paradise this weekend. 

Changed injectors last night with a low mileage set I was given some time back. While I was in there I cleaned the throttle body, bypassed the throttle body heater, and changed a leaky drivers side valve cover gasket.

Tonight I pulled the inspection cover on the trans and checked the reluctor tabs on the flex plate to make sure none were bent or otherwise looking worse for wear. Spacing was consistent and pretty close to spec of 4.5mm all throughout. Fixed passenger rear window regulator with a couple of fifty cent nylon washers.

Need to replace my front motor mounts, again... hopefully the JAG V12 mounts I picked up will last a bit longer. And I might just have time to do my headliner and reinstall it before we lave to make the drive up to Lassen via Paradise this weekend. 

So productive!

I ordered a 1/4 wave mag mount antenna to try out....

If only you knew somebody who had a shop and was willing to let Rover people come play in it.   :)

This sounds a bit like an offer  ;)

$%!!! Went to go get the truck smogged this morning and every thing was looking good.. Readiness monitors set, checked for codes and all was good. Smog guy pulls it into the bay and was letting it idle and it popped a CEL before he hooked it up.  Of course.. like I didn't have enough crap to worry about..

$%!!! Went to go get the truck smogged this morning and every thing was looking good.. Readiness monitors set, checked for codes and all was good. Smog guy pulls it into the bay and was letting it idle and it popped a CEL before he hooked it up.  Of course.. like I didn't have enough crap to worry about..

I feel your pain brother...

Well, managed to get the heatshield off the CKPS so I could replace it with a new one I had and found this by the connector:

35464474702_b1c73ae57e_c.jpg

yeah, that looks suspect. quality lucas wiring :/ So patched that up, replaced a leaking downpipe gasket and cleaned up the plugs and tightened the gap on them. Reset the adaptives in the ECU, drove to work and cleared any fault codes. Went and got a couple of gallons of 100 octane unleaded the night before, ran the tank near empty on the way to workand then put the 100 octane in on my lunch. Warmed the truck up and revved it to 2.5k a few times like they do during the smog test. No codes so looking good. Drove home from the office and all of the readiness monitors reset except for one on the way home. Good, no codes and the one monitor you are allowed to have not ready. Got up this morning and drove straight to the smog shop which is about a quarter of a mile from my house. Engine was pretty cold so that worked out since he let it idle for what seems like forever... Passed with flying colors! 

Now time to pack and get ready to make the long trip north through the State of Jefferson to my in-laws house in Paradise, then two nights up near Chester in Lassen NF just outside the park, and two more nights up at Crater Lake NP. Back to Paradise on Friday and home on Saturday.

hey don .... so ... who is this somebody you speak of (apologies for not knowing!!) ??

my rear axle is currently leaking all over the garage floor and am sure my management company will not be happy once they see it

looking for someone to help me and a place to work on it ... thanks!

Us Jeffersonians will be at hand should you need anything.  Just shout!

Thank you sir! 1754 miles later and we're back home with no issues other than the trucks temp getting a bit on the high side yesterday at the end of the leg from Crater Lake to my in laws place in Paradise. 

Temps were a bit warm on this trip. Camping up by Lassen/Almanor was great, hardly any bugs. Crater Lake was good, a bit too early in the season after this past winter though. Lots of stuff in the park was still closed. The campground in the park was full so we camped in a forestry campground just north of the park near Diamond Lake. Nice campground, but the mozzies were SUPER thick. Made sitting outside the tent in the evening and morning quite unpleasant.

hey don .... so ... who is this somebody you speak of (apologies for not knowing!!) ??

my rear axle is currently leaking all over the garage floor and am sure my management company will not be happy once they see it

looking for someone to help me and a place to work on it ... thanks!

Oh, that would be your friendly neighborhood Happel (me).

Actually I'm afraid I'm not exactly in your neighborhood since I'm up in Walnut Grove (south of Sacramento) but I'm always willing to help out with work space for a club member.  I have this nifty thing that magically makes the truck go up in the air so you can walk under it.... :)

Just a matter of timing.  I'm full-up this weekend on another project, next is the Gold Lakes trip, and I believe I'm going to be helping install some sliders on an LR4 the following, but I might be able to do some work with you that weekend as well.  Of course somewhere in there I need to work on my own junk too.