What Did You Do With Your Rover Today?

AdvRovr

Lr3 got new rear diff fluid now just need to do front diff,trafercase and trans filter. Dragging my feet. D2 had here shock bolts tighten and a overall check .

Yup - got a full set of fluids sitting on the bench ready to go for mine.  Will probably happen during the wrenching day on the 25th as this weekend is already booked out for me.

• 1 month later...

Finished up installing dif gaurds on the D1. Still working to finish the steering damper relocation kit/upgrade.

Kit doesn't work well with stock steering so looking like I'll upgrade the steering links earlier than originally planned. But can think of worse...

377fa5f3cfc5eda727214cba600d71d2.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to score a complete ARB locker set from a D90 that was being brought back to stock. Has 4.11 GBR gears and the rear is running upgraded axels from summers brothers racing that come in a 30 spline. All switches and the compressor are included. Ideally I'll just need to run new air hoses and set the electrical up.

Really excited to get some proper gear on this thing and the lockers are awesome as well!

Hopefully I'll get some great beers and bring them to Don's for remedial electrical lessons and a wrenching day.🤘

My wife is fearing this will speed up my desire to run 35s or dare say 37s...😁

http://www.ebay.com/itm/142384979753

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Nice! so they shipped them too?

All you need now is a rear U-joint style driveshaft ;)

Yes, shipping was included and I paid less than what they offered so feel good about that...even better once they arrive!

I did already swap to 98 rear DS. My angles at the moment work for the stock.

But I can see some maintenance coming up on the front.

Once I do change tires I'll change spring height too so that will require new DS.

Maybe next year...

I was able to score a complete ARB locker set from a D90 that was being brought back to stock. Has 4.11 GBR gears and the rear is running upgraded axels from summers brothers racing that come in a 30 spline. All switches and the compressor are included. Ideally I'll just need to run new air hoses and set the electrical up.

Really excited to get some proper gear on this thing and the lockers are awesome as well!

Hopefully I'll get some great beers and bring them to Don's for remedial electrical lessons and a wrenching day.

My wife is fearing this will speed up my desire to run 35s or dare say 37s...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/142384979753

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

NIce score. I would order new o rings before install and to test them .They look like the old RD56 that had a plastic cage inside them.It's know for failing and locking up the diff.

On another note started putting new watts bushings in the d2

Edited by lutz

Removed the RoadShower - need to have a crack welded up

Removed the roof rack mounts for the (now busted) traction jacks.

The RoadShower aluminum started cracking?  Where?

What caused the TJs to fail?  Did I miss a story someplace?

The RoadShower aluminum started cracking?  Where?

What caused the TJs to fail?  Did I miss a story someplace?

Holy zombie-post batman!  That was from over a year ago!

I killed the traction jack at Shaver last year trying to escape a rather large hole.  Snapped one section in half.  I've since upgraded to MaxTrax.

The roadshower got whacked by one too many trees and had torn off the cap which cracked the filler neck.  It's since been repaired and seems to hold pressure again.

I actually did do something in the present.  Today I installed a radio in the D1.

I went with a much more basic radio this time, a Kenwood 281A.  Your basic 65w 2m radio without any fancy bells and whistles.  

Since this one doesn't have a removable faceplate I decided to mount it overhead.  So I welded in a piece of 1/8" steel to the cage to support it.

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/zelatore/96%20Disco/IMG_20170525_125113957_HDR_zpspdhxe3uk.jpg

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/zelatore/96%20Disco/IMG_20170525_173415739_zps4vkrgqru.jpg

I also conveniently ran out of shielding gas as I was doing this so a couple of the welds got a little funky but it's not like it's got to support a lot of weight.

Once that was up, I put an NMO mount above the driver's tail light.  I had ordered a mount with cable when I bought the radio but that wouldn't work for the spot I was putting it; it would only work on thin sheetmetal and this was 1/4" plate.  So while I was in Oakland this week I stopped by HRO and picked up a thick-material NMO.  This one didn't include a cable but I have a couple hundred feet of RG8x on hand so figured no big deal.

But...turns out that mount won't accept RG8x so I had to take an hour out to run down to Stockton and pick up some RG58c/u.

That in hand, I soldered up my connectors and mounted everything up.  The antenna is a Larson 5/8 whip, 150B.

I haven't actually tested it other than making sure I could talk to it with my hand held from 20' away.  I should get a better change to try it out tomorrow as Greg and I are going up to Prairie City for a couple hours.

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/zelatore/96%20Disco/IMG_20170525_213012472_zpsnfvu3xvv.jpg

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/zelatore/96%20Disco/IMG_20170525_213033584_zpscenneoyo.jpg

I'm not super-stoked about that mounting location but hopefully it'll work.  There is no good ground plane on this truck since it doesn't have a roof.  

Nice radio work Don.

Swapped out the cyclone breather (PCV) on the 110 this am. Changed swivel ball grease in the disco after work. Brown sludge came out when old fluid was emptied... sorry Elizabeth. 

Stocked up on a buttload of oils, Ron gave me some old fluids from storage too! Enough diesel oil for the next few years. 

Nice radio work Don.

Swapped out the cyclone breather (PCV) on the 110 this am. Changed swivel ball grease in the disco after work. Brown sludge came out when old fluid was emptied... sorry Elizabeth.

Stocked up on a buttload of oils, Ron gave me some old fluids from storage too! Enough diesel oil for the next few years.

Love to see a write up on the 110...

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced the crusty fan belt, decided the fan mount rubbers were shot too so I ordered those and a spare rim. And today the steering guards came in so hopefully they will get put on tonight as well  ;).

Got off my ass and finally switched out my steel cable for the synthetic line I picked up from Don last summer at Coyote Flats.  Removed the stock roof rails and put rubber plugs in their place. Did some maintenance ahead of my trip the first week of July to Lassen and Crater Lake. Still trying to trace down a miss on cylinder 3. Going to pop off the trans inspection plate and see if there is a bent reluctor tab on the flexplate. I've ruled out everything else other than an injector or a bent reluctor tab at this point..