What Did You Do With Your Rover Today?

AdvRovr

Did you do something interesting/out of the ordinary with your Rover, do some upgrades or work to it, or anything else worth sharing but not really thread-worthy? 

Well, post it here! 

This will be for those little moments to live on without tons of new threads. 

I'll start:

This weekend I decided to pick up a new (used) shed for the yard. One thing leads to another...it was just a few inches too wide for most trailers so I needed a large deck-over equipment trailer. That meant it was time to install 7-pin trailer wiring. 

As it turns out, I massively underestimated the weight of the shed (wood framed 7ft x 12ft x 8ft finished with drywall). It took every bit of gear I had. Winch, shackles, recovery straps, snatch block, Hi-lift, floor jacks, etc. Even used front and rear lockers to get out of the mud in my backyard....LOL!

I don't have any good pictures of the process, but it was quite a scene. Will post more of the hilarity when I get some from helpers. 

post-798-0-45734000-1460419018_thumb.jpgpost-798-0-45143400-1460419185_thumb.jpg

post-798-0-25633500-1460419004_thumb.jpg

Tues 4/5 - Lunch in the parking lot at work. Removed winchline and used CLR to clean up the rusty drum. Rinsed, dried, and sprayed with truck bed liner.

Thurs 4/7 - Lunch in the parking lot at work. Spooled newly spliced winchline back onto drum.

Fri 4/8 - Lunch in the parking lot at work. Replaced window regulator for the front passenger door.

Mon 4/11 - After work in the parking lot. Topped off the t-case with about 1/2 pt. of gear oil.

I've also been known to swap driveshafts during a lunch break. Though not at Telltale. This was when I was still at 2K Marin.

Guest Pedram

Brake-fest.  In the last two weeks I replaced the pads and rotors on the LR3, then the D90 and finally on the DII.  I am tired of doing brakes.

Looks like the brakes bled you.

Replaced spark plug wires on my D2. What a PITA!

I've never done a set of wires on a D2 but the RRC seemed easy enough -- curious as to what makes that job tough? Clearance?

I've never done a set of wires on a D2 but the RRC seemed easy enough -- curious as to what makes that job tough? Clearance?

I think it's the huge amount of stuff you have to take off. IIRC you have to remove the entire upper intake plenum.

Is that a Bosch change maybe? On the GEMS you don't have to, but the coil packs are mounted at the back of the engine and are a pain to reach. Definitely not as easy as a 3.9 with the dizzy up front.

Is that a Bosch change maybe? On the GEMS you don't have to, but the coil packs are mounted at the back of the engine and are a pain to reach. Definitely not as easy as a 3.9 with the dizzy up front.

It's because some DII and P38 models have SAI. It adds components so you have to pull the intake manifold. If you don't have secondary air injection they are accessible enough, and it shouldn't take long. (Of course I have SAI.)

Edited by lilcrawler

Well, yesterday I went out exploring. I drove to the top of North Baldy, the second highest peak in the county, just north of 9,000ft.

http://i.imgur.com/SgUNkVG.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NlCSfmZ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/usjN9P1.jpg

I also attempted a hill climb, where I had a slight disagreement with a tree. Does anyone have a D1 passenger mirror laying around?

Edited by lilcrawler

Tires.  I did tires.

First I pulled the Kelly 255/85-16s (33") off the '95, then pulled the smooth riding Michelin 205/80-16s (29") off the '88 and installed them on the '95 to test if the vibrations I was feeling were from the tires or something else.  Answer:  both.  The tires definitely helped up to 80 mph but there are still some vibrations in the driveline when 'floating'.  Then I put my 225/75-16 (29") BFG MTs on the '88 and gave it a test run which was louder and harsher but OK.

Now to pull the Michelins off the '95 and put the Kellys back on.  Or maybe I'll leave them this way and take the Kellys to a tire shop to have them checked out.

Front and rear diff guards on my dad's RRC. Added a fan belt to my dad's alternator (he said he was having the charging light come on and then the Rev counter stopped working.) Popped the bonnet and surprise surprise, literally no belt on the alternator pulley. Rovers.....

Swapped out the limb risers on my 110. Added a rear view camera to the 110 and ditched the huge rear view mirror.

Replaced the reservoir and rear valve blocks on the LR3.  Mostly a PM thing as they were working but original.  The old ones will go in the spares box.  Also painted the driver's side slider since I had it off to access the compressor.

Yeah....they often leave out 18mm to save money on sets of wrenches or sockets.  I always have to buy one seperately because you just KNOW you'll find that one 18mm nut somewhere....on the side of a road....in the middle of nowhere...at midnight....on a Sunday....with wolves howling in the distance....

got a renology 100 folding solar panel. finished wiring up my MPPT hardwired controller.  i have measured 85 watts with this panel!

today i replaced my ham antella bracket with another diamond, similar to the one i broke on a manzanita branch a while back.

I installed new left and right door latches on the series.  It is the first time in the 8 or 9 years I have owned it that I have lockable doors.  Oh, and the doors don't fly open when I am driving anymore, that is a bonus too.  Almost ready for the Mendo-recce trip this weekend.

Guest Pedram

I installed new left and right door latches on the series.  It is the first time in the 8 or 9 years I have owned it that I have lockable doors.  Oh, and the doors don't fly open when I am driving anymore, that is a bonus too.  Almost ready for the Mendo-recce trip this weekend.

I thought that was the air conditioning?

It's a 'feature'.