What Did You Do With Your Rover Today?

AdvRovr

Installed Rovertym rear links and front arms.

Note to everyone use Anti seize on the bolts... the PO did not and I had to cut 3 bolts off... what a pain.

Did a quick oil change and cleared the clogged AC drain lines. I was going to change the diff oil until I discovered both drain plugs were completely deformed from being dragged across rocks, so I need to figure out how to get those out.

post-798-0-82907100-1462287664_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile my buddy was track prepping his bike. He takes it very seriously:

post-798-0-30333700-1462287700_thumb.jpg

I got a very late start due to getting an unexpected call from my brother who was supposed to meet us at the warehouse to do some work on his 4Runner at the same time. He needed a jump, it wouldn't start.

I headed over to his place, which was 30 minutes in the opposite direction. I jumped it and it wouldn't stay running and the battery light was on, so I got to change the alternator in his apartment parking lot, which was loads of fun. At least it was relatively easy.

Definitely a longer night than I had planned.

Ha. I wish.

The buddy that was with me on the trip a couple weekends ago works for a wheel manufacturer so I get to use their warehouse lift occasionally.

A wheel manufacturer you say...hmm. Do we have Nexus options there? LR4 steel wheels sound interesting...

They make lightweight race wheels, primarily for BMWs. They tend to be some variation of BBS designs (I know, big shock). 

Here's a quick 'shop of an LR4 with some of their wheels....LOL

post-798-0-17470600-1462301278_thumb.jpg

Did a quick oil change and cleared the clogged AC drain lines. I was going to change the diff oil until I discovered both drain plugs were completely deformed from being dragged across rocks, so I need to figure out how to get those out.

attachicon.gif20160502_222911.jpg

Meanwhile my buddy was track prepping his bike. He takes it very seriously:

attachicon.gif20160502_231742.jpg

I got a very late start due to getting an unexpected call from my brother who was supposed to meet us at the warehouse to do some work on his 4Runner at the same time. He needed a jump, it wouldn't start.

I headed over to his place, which was 30 minutes in the opposite direction. I jumped it and it wouldn't stay running and the battery light was on, so I got to change the alternator in his apartment parking lot, which was loads of fun. At least it was relatively easy.

Definitely a longer night than I had planned.

But...but...Toyotas never break!

Removed water pump hoping to find a sheared impeller, but didn't. Then cursed myself for removing a perfectly good water pump and spent the better part of the next 2 hours trying to clean the old gasket off. Ordered new thermostat. Bypassed heater core while the wife detailed the coolant out of the carpet. Q

Guest Pedram

Removed water pump hoping to find a sheared impeller, but didn't. Then cursed myself for removing a perfectly good water pump and spent the better part of the next 2 hours trying to clean the old gasket off. Ordered new thermostat. Bypassed heater core while the wife detailed the coolant out of the carpet. Q

The P38 life ain't so breezy huh. Glad your fixing it up. It's a great truck when they work..... But that sums up every Rover. I have to say I can't the rangies though.

The heater core isn't the worst thing but it's a pain. If you skip the removing the dash part you can manage to cut the duct midway to get access to the HC. I use a wire saw used for camping. I had pulled the entire dash on one and installed a brand new HC. Once that was installed I continued to button everything back up. After I was done we fired up the truck and ran the heater full blast to confirm I was done. Wouldn't you know, the crappy clamp they provided failed to hold so it was like I just wasted my entire day.

Pulling the dash was not an option I wanted to repeat. So we opted for the short "cut" which requires cutting the right vent to allow access to the HC and clamp. There's instructions on the web somewhere. Antonio pulled them for me. So double check with him first if you plan to go either route.

Next time I would test everything while it's half a part. But with a missing dash and vents it's kinda hard. I don't recommend the short cut but it's your rig. If you do cut the plastic ducting, I would recommend using foil tape to seal off the cut. Most hardware stores carry the foil tape. Be careful, the foil can cut your fingers if you don't watch out. Like a paper cut.... Ouch! No blood, no gain... This message is Johnson and Johnson approved.

Well a fried alternator can't be such a bad DIY  (or maybe you are still under warranty) , but I'm surprised so many LR3/4's had the same issue ? Sounds like they are missing a splash guard or something on the design .... perhaps an opportunity for Graeme to tool something up on the 3D printer and get into that business :)