What Did You Do With Your Rover Today?

AdvRovr

Only from the garage to driveway and back. I need a loading dock to see how bad it rubs after my cutting

Got an engine hoist?  Just throw a chain on the wheel and start jacking.

Now I pulled a failed front drive shaft! I guess 1:00a.m counts as today.

Tyler,

Before I decide whether or not to post pictures of that driveshaft, perhaps you'd like to tell the world when you last actually greased that joint, and with what (type of tool and type of grease).  Think carefully before answering, as I am dismantling that joint .....

Graeme

Guest Pedram

Tyler,

Before I decide whether or not to post pictures of that driveshaft, perhaps you'd like to tell the world when you last actually greased that joint, and with what (type of tool and type of grease).  Think carefully before answering, as I am dismantling that joint .....

Graeme

Careful Graeme.... Some might say this is a personal attack.... Lol. Yeah please grease your fittings. I tend to check mine at almost every diff oil change. Maybe more often than you think. High maintenance Rovers.

Spent a good hour with the pressure washer on mud eradication duty. Then did front brakes and took a tire with a big chunk out of the sidewall in for replacement.

Careful Graeme.... Some might say this is a personal attack.... Lol. Yeah please grease your fittings. I tend to check mine at almost every diff oil change. Maybe more often than you think. High maintenance Rovers.

Pedram,

That would seem about right .... judging by the color of the diff oil ..... it was probably planned for when the diff oil was changed ....

Regards,

Graeme

Got my engine almost back together - stopped due to spending a day watching my kids baseball torni @ twin creaks

All that left is to change the fuel filter, replace a rear ujoint that I broke the grease nipple on, a few other small jobs,then prey it works!

Edited by Timbo

Drove the P38.  So far so good.  New thermostat and a cooling flush seems to be working.  Now to figure out what happened to that heater core.

Good luck!

When I took mine out, the plastic was so brittle that it had completly split down one side and one if the pipes snapped clean off.

Guest Pedram

Swapped the clutch master cylinder on the series last night.  Taking out the entire pedal assembly makes the job relatively straight forward, much easier than the D90.

Only a handful of people have those. And mine went out last year.

Guest Pedram

Pedram,

RoverWare.US has them in stock ....

Graeme

Fred?

That's great. But meant a handful of people who have that issue. Most are automatic

Literally was just washing it. Glass must have been too hot compared to the water. I had hosed it down, washed it, and rinsed it. Then noticed the crack on the passenger side. It definitely wasn't there when I started washing. No noise. Good thing I have a tolerant wife as I keep beating the poop out of her car.

Now I pulled a failed front drive shaft! I guess 1:00a.m counts as today.

Tyler,

Graeme

When a driveshaft is greased, it is almost impossible to clean up the grease that oozes from the seals and from the nipple (zirk) and fitting on the gun.  Clearly, in these pictures, the last time they were greased a toothbrush and q-tips (cotton swabs) were used to clean these areas as they are so nice and grease free.  Odd how the mud and dust wasn't cleaned off though .... and doesn't grease prevent rust .... and the interior of the joint is totally devoid of grease ... mmmmm

My estimation is that these haven't seen grease for 10,000 miles.

Did you know that sometimes when you don't grease driveshafts they break and throw the front UJ through the side of the gearbox/transmission?

https://goo.gl/photos/bNrK1fvUNEVnngVD9

The rear shaft has so much play in the front joint that it can't be driven .... for the same reason.

Regards,

Graeme

Edited by GraemeWare

Fred?

That's great. But meant a handful of people who have that issue. Most are automatic

There never was a factory automatic Land Rover Series Pedram!  deee ddeee deee

Replaced the inner and outer tie rods on the steering of the LR3.  Turns out the loose joint I was feeling wasn't so much bad as a loose connection to the rack - probably didn't have to do them after all but it's done and now I have spares.

Tomorrow it get's a fresh 4-wheel alignment.

Maybe Sunday I'll drop the armor and do some painting.  Getting pretty beat up and needs to be touched up to avoid rust.

Guest Pedram

Just picked up some steel tubing to rebuild my maxtrax holder for the bigger tires

Checked your Rover pics and don't see the modified tubes. But I do see the bigger tires.... very nice.