What Did You Do With Your Rover Today?

AdvRovr

Getting the old d2 ready for sale .cleaning it and putting parts back on so it can go down the road.

Say what?? No more trail rig? What's your plans?

Discovered a coolant leak during my lunch run, then spent the remaining time digging tools out of boxes and secured the leak.

Got the Classic out today and drove it a good 60 miles with no issues, took it to British Car service and he hooked up the auto logic to find out the engine light was from a bad throttle position sensor, replaced that and some minor air hoses. Took it and got it smogged. 

This weekend I did doors. Pulled the latch out of the fifth door and replaced the broken spring. I also adjusted the link rods in the drivers door, so I can get in from the outside again!

I attempted to get the rear windows working, but the problem isn't with the ECU. I still don't know what is wrong with them. I'll check switches next.

yes, P38.   Got half way to work and the high temp light caught my eye.  Weird thing was i wasn't getting much heat out of the heater and wanted it because it was a bit brisk.  Shut it down, pulled over (in that order) and spent a minute freaking out.   Turned the key back to the on position and the temp light had gone out and the temp was almost out of the red, strange.  Then popped the hood expecting to see a green mess everywhere.  But, all looked pretty normal.  The coolant tank was full and the hoses had pressure.  The upper hose wasn't too hot and I could squeeze it a bit with a bare hand.  Also strange.  Gently cracked the coolant tank cap and heard boiling, so I shut it.  Went back to the cab and the temp was back in the middle of the gauge!!  Over the span of maybe 2 minutes.  Started it up, stayed in the range.  So I closed the hood and drove to work and it didn't miss a beat the rest of the way.  The heater also worked great after that.  So if the heads, head gaskets and liners didn't let go then maybe I will get away with just changing the thermostat.  We will see what happens when I TRY to go home.  

Well who knows what the cause is but the current symptom is coolant all over the floor. Never been stranded in a rover before. Kinda stinks.

Collant in the car? - Sounds like you've got a blown heater core.

Had that in mine - bypassed the core till I got the enthusiasm to take the dash out to rebuilt the heater box. That was on a classic - no idea how bad that job would be on a P38

Edited by Timbo

Guest Pedram
Coolant on the passenger side floor on a p38 is either a bad clamp on the heater core or bad heater core. It's a full days work pulling that out. Did it twice on two different P38's.

replaced yet another lost exhaust manifold bolt..  checked the rest and found 5 lose ones..re-torqued them all..  i can always tell when they get lose as i get the nice brap brap brap sound...

Nick if you don't already have these on your truck I would suggest you do!  they will never come loose and they are a Rover product used on D2's!

ERR6734 & ERR6318