What Did You Do With Your Rover Today?

AdvRovr

2 hours ago, Mr.BlueSky said:

Details!!! :)

Details,  Gustav showed interest when I bought this a year ago...

Plan was to use for Rovicon 3, which we did then find a new owner to fund the Series 2 build. 

So plan is in flight and more parts for the series truck will come now, key one being a transfer case of some sort and then axle shafts, lockers and misc. items to get the engine to fire up.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/27/2021 at 7:24 PM, Mr.BlueSky said:

Removed the old oil lines last weekend and dropped them off at Royal Brass in San Jose for a rebuild.

Not only was it cheaper to have them rebuilt than to buy OEM, but they finished them in a day : ).

Very happy with the quality of work.

image.png

image.png

image.png

I need to take my leaky transmission cooler lines there! 

On 11/27/2021 at 4:26 PM, SplurGn said:

This past week I had a new A-frame installed from Adrenaline 4x4 (with new bushings), got my heating vents sorted, new wiper motor, and some other random bits....

Nice! The Adrenaline looks sweet ; ).

I have the same RAM mount, though with the suction cup for the windshield, they work great. I've had ours for at least 3 years now and it is still going strong.

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely check out this location.

421 N Buchanan Cir #18
Pacheco, CA 94553

I am 90% sure they trucked my parts here for the rebuild - they don't really rebuild any automotive stuff in the bay area they said - it's all construction equipment.

21 hours ago, DHappel said:

wish they were closer for me - could be handy.

R & R'd the windshield wiper motor out of the Perentie. Seems the gear assembly didn't like a bunch of gummie grease in this cold weather. Re-packed it with white lithium AND adjusted the end-play on the run-out of the worm gear. Seems to be going pretty good now. And yes, I backed the mounting screws out all the way from the U-shaped mounting strap and had to have wifey help me get the backing plate to line-up to re-mount the strap.

Pic is from our DV run last Spring.

--Paul

20210401_170536.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

While not explicitly done with the rover... it was certainly done for them ; ).

Picked up what I expect will be the first of several, 20ft shipping containers. Eleven did an excellent job extracting the 32ft trailer out of the mud, until the mud swallowed the trailer. Eleven barely escaped the back lot...

Johann came to the rescue with the LR3 and we winched the trailer out to dry ground to hook it up to the Silverado.

15 hours later the 20ft container was finally extracted down the narrow mountain roads of Lompico and awaiting final placement on the hill.

(If anyone wants to play you are more than welcome! We plan on having the ground cleared and setting it down by Sunday)

image.png

image.png

image.png

4 hours ago, Mr.BlueSky said:

While not explicitly done with the rover... it was certainly done for them ; ).

Picked up what I expect will be the first of several, 20ft shipping containers. Eleven did an excellent job extracting the 32ft trailer out of the mud, until the mud swallowed the trailer. Eleven barely escaped the back lot...

Johann came to the rescue with the LR3 and we winched the trailer out to dry ground to hook it up to the Silverado.

15 hours later the 20ft container was finally extracted down the narrow mountain roads of Lompico and awaiting final placement on the hill.

(If anyone wants to play you are more than welcome! We plan on having the ground cleared and setting it down by Sunday)

image.png

image.png

image.png

What are you building?  Garage space, storage....very interesting.

45 minutes ago, astateofmike said:

What are you building?  Garage space, storage....very interesting.

I don't expect the shop to be built this year, and likely not in the next two... but there are plans with containers involved ; ).

For now, they will be used for storage. The barn and garage are so stuffed with raw building materials for the house I don't have anywhere to actually do the work. (or the rover work ... ) 

This container will help to start alleviating that issue and I can put all the renovation materials in there until they can be processed.

1 hour ago, Mr.BlueSky said:

I don't expect the shop to be built this year, and likely not in the next two... but there are plans with containers involved ; ).

For now, they will be used for storage. The barn and garage are so stuffed with raw building materials for the house I don't have anywhere to actually do the work. (or the rover work ... ) 

This container will help to start alleviating that issue and I can put all the renovation materials in there until they can be processed.

Are you doing the tent over container thing ...give yourself a covered workspace @Mr.BlueSky

On 1/12/2022 at 9:05 PM, astateofmike said:

Are you doing the tent over container thing ...give yourself a covered workspace @Mr.BlueSky

No probably not for the long term. Though in the short term this could be nice... although windy

Swapped the old style front Defender/Series vent flap seals for the new foam type on the Perentie. Total hassle removing the old glue that held the older rubber-style seal in the vent flap groove. Now... HUGE difference in interior comfort and way less noise (the Isuzu 4BD1 is not exactly a hush-tone diesel.)

If anyone needs/wants my only 1-year old rubber style vent flap seals, I am happy to give them away to a clubbie.

--Paul

1 hour ago, PaulD said:

Swapped the old style front Defender/Series vent flap seals for the new foam type on the Perentie. Total hassle removing the old glue that held the older rubber-style seal in the vent flap groove. Now... HUGE difference in interior comfort and way less noise (the Isuzu 4BD1 is not exactly a hush-tone diesel.)

If anyone needs/wants my only 1-year old rubber style vent flap seals, I am happy to give them away to a clubbie.

--Paul

who did yo go with ? i have the old rubber ones and they leak badly 

On Sunday, a few folks came over and we played a nice game of musical trailers in order to get the container rotated 180 degrees so that once unloaded, the doors faced the correct way.

image.png

image.png

image.png

All set down now, and the real work can begin...

image.png

The ground was not as level as anticipated, so a short ramp will be in order...

Time to evacuate the barn and garage of building material chaos!

• 3 weeks later...

So last snow run to Bowman, I shredded my rear pinion gear on the ride home. It was kind of weird considering it was on the freeway and has had no known issues on the trail. I suspect it was a failing pinion gear based on examination, but I am not really experienced with examining used pinion bearing to really know. But either way it was something that needed fixing and a good opportunity for an upgrade. I was running KAM 4.10 gears (10 pinion gear teeth and 41 ring gear teeth) with 36” tires. I decided to go to Ashcroft 4.75 gears (8 pinion gear teeth and 38 ring gear teeth). 
The pinion break also did some damage to the Ashcroft air locker, so I had them ship me a few parts to fix that as well. I also replaced a failing ujoint on my rear driveshaft which had shredded some needle bearings and my rear brake pads. Waiting for parts and a couple specialty tools made this take forever. Finally got it done today and removed the front driveshaft to take it for a spin. So far so good. No weird sounds or behavior. I was a little nervous about driving it, but it feels great. I will be doing my front this weekend. Plan is to dismantle on Saturday and do the gears, then put everything back together on Sunday. If anyone is interested in seeing how it’s done feel free to come by and hang out. It’s often a job that many DIY guys still pay others to do, but it really isn’t that intimidating when you get into it. And with the proper beer you may be able to get me to help you regear your own.

FDEDC650-D19A-49E9-B3E1-FE8D63B7510E.jpeg

60D1CBD7-B57B-45D2-AD0D-B2288E06DF19.jpeg

59548A53-5A3A-42D3-A825-2A551602737C.jpeg

3F8ABC0F-6D87-48C5-BABE-28B8D6BF2762.jpeg

AF47F3E2-4BE3-45F4-840C-F68924B0B296.jpeg

ACEBDDF4-E96F-4E1A-9E74-D0BD8428771B.jpeg

8BCA1DC6-A9B2-41E7-961A-E965FE2FE6E4.jpeg

22018F7E-051C-4E7A-AB7B-7851B2E2415F.jpeg

7623FFAC-9743-40D5-B512-0B2FF6553BB2.jpeg

F6D6295D-8C4B-4BEC-B468-6D77D2E84F2D.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Took apart my rear axle… again. Had an air leak in my locker show up at the Shaver trip. Made for a fun time doing the trail without my lockers, but I still decided I should fix it. I had replaced the air line when I did the new gears due to my exploded pinion gear shredding the old copper line. Unfortunately I did not have the correct ferrule for the fitting and with the help of Robert, was forced to modify the fitting to work with the ferrule I had. We got it to work in my garage, but I figured that was the problem with the air leak. Below is a pic of the correct ferrule (big one) and the one I had used (small one)
b1d06d6626013825e5c2d6ab64ccb3c4.jpg
My plan was to remove the third and just replace the copper line and ferrule. Simple and relatively quick repair. I took the driveshaft and axle shafts out and then was going to drain the gear oil from the plug. I pulled out the plug and got a very disturbing surprise.
890291462d90a8cc90042bfa5affee81.jpg
24c6f6bd5d49e23f4e03ce2240ec4e34.jpg

There was a giant metal chunk along with some a bunch of small pieces of similar looking metal. I thought I had somehow lost some of my new ring gear. I hadn’t experienced any weird noises or clunking during break in or on the Shaver trip, but still was expecting to have to regear again. I took out the third member and inspected everything. The ring gear was fully intact and the wear markings looked good. The pinion gear also looked fine. I was relieved, but also perplexed as to where this came from. I had done a truncated break in due to lack of time and wanting to go on the Shaver trip, but I still did get in almost 300 miles of break in and then a gear oil change without any chunks of metal, so I figured it had to come from my new gears. I still had the old ring gear in the garage so I tried to match up the chunk with that. The size, color, shape, and machine marks seem to fit the old ring gear pretty well. I think I was even able to find the exact spot it came from. I think it was just an old chunk that was stuck in an oil channel and got dislodged on the trip.
d20d6df743980ca99b3a1b779a7ca780.jpg
So I decided everything was going to be fine and I fit the new air line on the locker and prepared to reinstall it. I hooked it up to the compressor and heard a loud air leak. I tried to feel around the fittings for the leak but nothing. I determined it was coming from inside the locker. So my quick and easy repair was now going to be a pain in the ass. I was going to have to remove the locker from the third member and then take it apart to find the problem. So I reluctantly started the process. The Ashcroft air locker is pretty simple and easy to work on so I was able to go right to the source and find the problem after consulting the parts diagram for the locker. There’s only really one small section that takes air and that has a couple orings that it uses to hold the pressure, so I figured that’s where the would be. I was right.
f7e7dabacaeb99c2b8b29af443d86902.jpg
One of those little chunks of metal escaped my magnetic drain plug and lodged itself into the brass part that seals the air. It was deforming the oring enough to leak. Best I could do was to remove the foreign metal and reform the brass a little. Seemed to hold air, so I’m going to run it for now and order a replacement part. I’ll put it all back together tomorrow and reset the backlash. Probably put the axle back together Tuesday. Either way I’m running it at the Bowman trip this weekend. About 50/50 on whether the lockers will actually engage for the whole trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fitted the roof top tent with the help of a hand winch mounted to the upper balcony

c75e73b111305e6cba95922c3606d373.jpg

8b3eca0db33448ccbcfe29346cda2680.jpg

Needed to modify some tent shell clamp mounts to avoid the driving lights (two of which are now wired)

Now I feel extra cool parking at work

260b11f04d4ebd49949f16f573b53318.jpg

All set for Bowman Lake this weekend.

16 hours ago, RobertDingli said:

Fitted the roof top tent with the help of a hand winch mounted to the upper balcony

c75e73b111305e6cba95922c3606d373.jpg

8b3eca0db33448ccbcfe29346cda2680.jpg

Needed to modify some tent shell clamp mounts to avoid the driving lights (two of which are now wired)

Now I feel extra cool parking at work

260b11f04d4ebd49949f16f573b53318.jpg

All set for Bowman Lake this weekend.

All balconies dream of being this useful, I am sure! : )

Gustav came by yesterday with his rear diff so we could get it ready for this weekends trip. Robert also swung by to lend a hand. His Trutrac had some bolts back out and dig into his carrier. It made quite a mess but in the end it was all salvageable… we think. 

We ended up replacing the bolts that backed out and also replaced the carrier bearing bolts. We also swapped out the carrier bearings with some new ones. The smaller pinion bearing was making some nasty sounds so we swapped it with a used, but in better shape, bearing I had laying around. In the end I think we have a good rear diff. 

B4840E1C-6D87-4D0C-9554-D5EBD220EDB4.jpeg

D77882B0-FF63-44DF-988B-E99C66308064.jpeg

A4B018AE-D702-4966-9B48-F862570F37C7.jpeg

463F4BAD-5736-4FC2-B817-AF0470B0A711.jpeg

CD83490B-39A7-4F20-85FB-2BC4306A201D.jpeg

A0DCD822-4C10-4663-AF98-89C8A12FD165.jpeg

Edited by Elherbinator

• 3 weeks later...

A few weeks back I finally got Snowflake back on the road with functional brakes.

The original failure ended up being multi-pronged - but that is probably worth a Range Rover Classic brakes thread in itself.

Anyhow, after a discussion with Allan at Falcon Works we isolated the remaining issue to be the pump. Prior to the original failure, Snowflake's bump had never operated out of expected parameters. However, after completely draining the system to replace the brake module I just could not get the pump and accumulator to bleed.

An infinite stream of microbubbles was ever present during the power bleed step of the accumulator.

Allan and I hypothesized that the inlet screen (not visible) internal to the ABS pump was clogged and a large bubble was too big to pass through the fine mesh screen. The microbubbles were the shavings if you will off this large trapped bubble.

As suspected a good tear down, soapy bath, and a syringe to cycle water and back forth through the inlet screen of the pump was all it needed to enable a good bleed.

The brakes feel better than ever and passed a half day run to Hollister OHV for shakedown.

___

I also spent some time after bleeding Snowflake to clean and prepare a second ABS pump for the spares bin. 

image.png

There was some evil lurking in there:

image.png

To compare, this next picture is the inside of Snowflake's original pump before cleaning:

image.png

13 hours ago, Mr.BlueSky said:

A few weeks back I finally got Snowflake back on the road with functional brakes.

The original failure ended up being multi-pronged - but that is probably worth a Range Rover Classic brakes thread in itself.

Anyhow, after a discussion with Allan at Falcon Works we isolated the remaining issue to be the pump. Prior to the original failure, Snowflake's bump had never operated out of expected parameters. However, after completely draining the system to replace the brake module I just could not get the pump and accumulator to bleed.

An infinite stream of microbubbles was ever present during the power bleed step of the accumulator.

Allan and I hypothesized that the inlet screen (not visible) internal to the ABS pump was clogged and a large bubble was too big to pass through the fine mesh screen. The microbubbles were the shavings if you will off this large trapped bubble.

As suspected a good tear down, soapy bath, and a syringe to cycle water and back forth through the inlet screen of the pump was all it needed to enable a good bleed.

The brakes feel better than ever and passed a half day run to Hollister OHV for shakedown.

___

I also spent some time after bleeding Snowflake to clean and prepare a second ABS pump for the spares bin. 

image.png

There was some evil lurking in there:

image.png

To compare, this next picture is the inside of Snowflake's original pump before cleaning:

image.png

WHAT was wrong with the module??  never needed to replace one in all my years other than converting one to a non ABS servo style.  The pump switch usually fails... just blead the brakes on my LWB over the weekend and forgot what a PITA it was 11 bleeder screws but boy they now feel great.  BTW I too carry a spare ABS pump always on trips.  that is kinda why I wanted to know what other Classic's were coming so we could compare spares.