What Did You Do With Your Rover Today?

AdvRovr

awesome! now you need those wheels & tires
Are you heading down the 1 to the July Morg this weekend?

I am going to the MORG, but I won’t have room to haul wheels. I’ll have 2 people, 2 dogs, and camping gear. I’ll have to find some time to come down in my truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dad wanted to be an old man and go to the car show so I carted his 88 down and he took his ambulance.  In the end the ambulance took best in show in the 4x4 division, granted it was us 2 old jeeps and a d90 in the running so a hollow victory but a trophy none the less. FB_IMG_1657591881466.jpg.804297867a402275fe486773d526815e.jpg

4 hours ago, Renorover said:

My dad wanted to be an old man and go to the car show so I carted his 88 down and he took his ambulance.  In the end the ambulance took best in show in the 4x4 division, granted it was us 2 old jeeps and a d90 in the running so a hollow victory but a trophy none the less. FB_IMG_1657591881466.jpg.804297867a402275fe486773d526815e.jpg

That's pretty cool!!

• 4 weeks later...

In preparation for rovicon and the never ending desire for more storage in an 88 I started looking at the Exmoor trim door storage cards. But finding they will cost me my first born and block my tootsie vents I went looking for a work around, and found some 20 doller Kelty seat storage thingys. Some drilling later and they more or less fit the bill.20220806_115612.thumb.jpg.397c99ae570a9b85e20e3aef25062e65.jpg

12 minutes ago, Renorover said:

In preparation for rovicon and the never ending desire for more storage in an 88 I started looking at the Exmoor trim door storage cards. But finding they will cost me my first born and block my tootsie vents I went looking for a work around, and found some 20 doller Kelty seat storage thingys. Some drilling later and they more or less fit the bill.20220806_115612.thumb.jpg.397c99ae570a9b85e20e3aef25062e65.jpg

Slick! :)

• 3 months later...

Today - between downpours, I was able to get Snowflake and the little trailer across the muddy orchard and picked up a load of scrap steel to take down to recycle tomorrow.

Normally 11 would be doing the "tractor" work... but alas, I have a head gasket that needs replacing and an electrical short to track down.

image.png

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so this didn't happen today, but who's checking.  I'm sure glad Miles let me pull the D1 into the garage for this job, cause it was dumping rain outside.  Brake pads are weird, one was okay still but the other took a dump on the way home from work.  So a brake job was in order.

1639275B-9D91-48B4-AC15-0B039A6A5C3E_1_105_c.jpeg

DDA43B0B-B88C-4377-A4F4-B532C324FD65_1_105_c.jpeg

15A1DAD4-DEF9-41EB-A9E3-D8CF2674199F_1_105_c.jpeg

48DC5387-3682-491C-8CF9-0CCE0CC39201_1_105_c.jpeg

0080AADC-4CCA-41AF-AB99-9D73863C5917_1_105_c.jpeg

0469A740-7F87-4563-8321-C566504B29D9_1_105_c.jpeg

12 minutes ago, yokrieger said:

Okay so this didn't happen today, but who's checking.  I'm sure glad Miles let me pull the D1 into the garage for this job, cause it was dumping rain outside.  Brake pads are weird, one was okay still but the other took a dump on the way home from work.  So a brake job was in order.

15A1DAD4-DEF9-41EB-A9E3-D8CF2674199F_1_105_c.jpeg

0080AADC-4CCA-41AF-AB99-9D73863C5917_1_105_c.jpeg

Got your money's worth out of those!

• 4 months later...

Today Henry and I did a bit of maintenance on Snowflake

1. Re-shimmed the axles

2. Fixed the AC drain tube

3. Began troubleshooting some new electrical issues  :(

Henry is incredibly good at ensuring the dial indicator is fastened securely. 

image.png

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I finally made time to work on the rover!

Nothing major, but I was able to mess my disc brake conversion kit and now know how it all bolts together.

Hopefully some more progress this week!

3 hours ago, Jethro said:

Last night I finally made time to work on the rover! emoji33.png

Nothing major, but I was able to mess my disc brake conversion kit and now know how it all bolts together.

Every little bit adds up to big progress! : ).

I'm in the same boat, my life is becoming consumed by home renovation and trip planning... the rover projects are now maintenance oriented and less awesome possum upgrades.

52 minutes ago, Pointman0853 said:

Had a day free and always wondered what was on the east side of Walker lake Nevada. Bindi the Wonder-Pup navigated and we had the whole place to ourselves. Must come back and camp here for sure. 

Daisy at Walker Lake 1.jpg

Daisy at Walker Lake 2.jpg

Daisy at Walker Lake 3.jpg

Radical way to spend the day!

Finally out in some work on the Buggy Classic. Fixed the 3 transmission leaks it had. The dip stick and the plug were quick and easy. The shifter seal was a major pain. Getting out the old seal took hours due to the frame rail getting in the way and prevented me from using the special shifter seal removal tool. But after a while, it got done. Also got rid of the old shifter and installed a Sidewinder. The old shifter was stock, and it has a Turbo 350 transmission in it. The old shifter wasn’t the right throw and it wasn’t engaging in Park properly. 

IMG_3124.jpeg

IMG_3125.jpeg

IMG_3132.jpeg

IMG_3133.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Last year on my home from Rovicon 4, I got misfire on the highway just past Sac. Only last a handful of seconds and didn’t happen again on the way home. I also got it on the way to the Annual, but didn’t experience on trail or on the way home. Didn’t get it any other time until I started the D2 up over the weekend to make sure it ready for this weekend. Since Hell Hole will be hard enough this weekend without engine issues I decided to do a tune up. So I gave myself a short work day yesterday and today to do it. I replaced the the coils, injectors, plugs, and wires. I also installed a coil relocation kit while I had everything torn apart. The job took a while and was kind of a pain in the ass due to lack of room. Removing the secondary air system would have made it a lot easier to get around, but I didn’t want to mess around with that this week. Everything is up and running again. Fingers crossed I don’t get a misfire anymore. I’m pretty sure it was due to the spark plugs.

IMG_3242.jpeg

IMG_3244.jpeg

IMG_3246.jpeg

IMG_3251.jpeg

Put in a new tank, pump, and sending unit. Got the buggy running and driving again. The kingpins need rebuilding before it can drive without the wheels nearly falling off. But this is progress.
http://content.invisioncic.com/j299939/monthly_2023_06/IMG_3362.thumb.jpeg.415ca8edbfc12c3e75d1d55281e1a05f.jpeg
http://content.invisioncic.com/j299939/monthly_2023_06/IMG_3360.thumb.jpeg.36034dcb3314278de82c471cd03a4943.jpeg

That's awesome!!

Some last prep items before we took off concluded this weekend.

1. Replaced all rotors and discs... the "rock squeal" was glazed discs, likely stemming from last year's ABS computer nightmare that locked up brakes.

2. While digging out brake parts, found some additional bump stop spaces to add to the already extended rear bumps. This should stop the occasional fender drag.

image.png

3. Re-wired the front passenger side to clean-up the winch and compressor lines and fit the new battery from Mike (thanks!)

4. Eliminated some electrical draws, but could not isolate all. 

5. Swapped the Brownchurch rack for a MUCH lighter Front Runner rack, swapped over the mini-Jerry mounts, and snuck Johann's rooftop tent up there. (Maybe he won't notice?)

6. Welded the "two-piece" exhaust split at the muffler back into one piece.... (there seems to be a theme here with our classics as I had to do this with Eleven after the Mojave scouting trip).

7. Checked all fluids and topped up power steering. 

Now I just need to start packing... but first... whiskey and bed.

image.png

I am not making this trip, and am sort of the main representative for the opposite site of the wheeling spectrum compared to the overland guys, but I am still excited for this trip. Miles does, and continues to do, such an excellent job of planning this trip that I have little doubt that it will go off without a hitch. The overall planning from miles and the participants make it seem like it will be an epic and comfortable excursion across a fantastic swath of the north western americas. I look forward to hearing about it and hope some of you’s can join me on a podcast and tell us all about it!

Years of extended travel suspension finally killed one of my radius arm brackets. Also managed to nearly totally pop out a bushing on the opposite side. Requires a little straightening out of the twisted bracket and some welding to fix. You have to be pretty precise for the bolt holes to line up with the radius arm, but I got lucky and it worked out. Replaced the 5 year old Johnny Joints and the bushings with Super Pro ones. Good to go!

IMG_3512.jpeg

IMG_3514.jpeg

IMG_3516.jpeg

IMG_3517.jpeg

IMG_3528.jpeg

IMG_3527.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
Last night I finally made time to work on the rover!

Well I bolted the entire setup together with disc and put the tire back on!

Now on to transmission mounts!

3258bb01ffa6f4fb71747632502bb701.jpg
d4826051548184beee0eb9840a0bef4a.jpg