What Did You Do With Your Rover Today?

AdvRovr

Usal Beach Electrical Fail!

On Day 3 about 45 minutes wheeling up the North road got a big bad red Charging System Fault.  High-tailed it back down to camp but she died at the camp site.

Got all packed up and hit up the neighbors for a 30 minute jump, hoping that would be enough to get back to Hwy. 1, but sadly, no.  It took 6 jumps from the mercy of strangers to get to the road, and then a 2 hour wait for a flatbed tow to Fr. Bragg.  Jump, drive for 10 minutes until suspension failure warning, rinse, repeat.

Good times.

New alternator and battery and two night in Ft. Bragg.  A rather expensive excursion, to say the least.  At least they had great fish and chips and we sussed out a Lost Coast fishing charter we booked for first week of August.

How it started:

post-1389-0-02283800-1626137025_thumb.jpeg

How it went:

post-1389-0-22661300-1626137083_thumb.jpeg

post-1389-0-27677200-1626137132_thumb.jpeg

How it ended, among the sadder sights in the world:

post-1389-0-36616400-1626137186_thumb.jpeg

Edited by jcb

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Replaced my steering box today. Nothing too exciting about that, but I did take apart the old to examine the failure. The worm gear had been chewed up pretty good and had a decent sized area that had no remaining gear. Makes sense with my symptoms I was experiencing. I also noticed the bearing on the sector shaft area that engages with the worm gear was seized. The metal chunks from the worm gear could have ruined the bearing, or the seized bearing and roller could have caused a worm gear failure. Chicken or the egg I guess. I don’t have enough experience with this issue to know which one it was, but here are some pics of the damage

734b7413cd7755dbebe9b4ab0b49deeb.jpg

bb56b43ca32a51435960584984d31c02.jpg

bba1af74b3bc8658476a1698900d27f7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took apart my front axle to replace my cv’s and to remove the differential and reapply rtv. Found a cracked boot on one of my guide pins for the brakes. Found it just in time too as it wasn’t hard to get out but would have been in the near future. Some of you may remember earlier this year I had a completely seized guide pin that required me to replace the caliper carrier. So buy a set of guide pins and boots, they’re cheap, and keep them on hand for when you need them.

77cb11708ef5d787af0bf09c4f612a0a.jpg

093a9179fe40bc9b4c7a84013aec579b.jpg

The diff looked good when I took it out. Happy to get that resealed

f6bf45273c6938ab5664bc8463aa855b.jpg

Cv job started off smooth. Got the dust shield thing onto the new shafts easily. Slipped it into the diff easily. The hub would not go one though. The splines on the new Ashcroft 300M cv’s don’t fit in the hub. My old cv’s are also Ashcroft and they slide in easily. The differential side of the shafts fit into the hub splines easily. So I don’t know why the cv’s don’t. I emailed Ashcroft and will call them at like midnight or whatever and try to get this figured out as I would like to have a functioning front axle for the Rovicon. Any feedback on this issue is appreciated. Here are some pics of the two cv’s

18ad529c96e70a36d7c55d3e44bcc8e9.jpg

Old cv

1d05fb824611b4542c09de85122331ec.jpg

New cv

707bcba25dde6875c801f26d635fe8d0.jpg

Old cv

1b4ce4b0ce336347ef2308bd14669c90.jpg

New cv at this point I can pick up the hub by lifting the cv. It’s jammed in the splines

Finished the steering box setup, fairly straightforward. So fingers crossed this solves my problem.

Tyler came by for a beer and to make sure I didn't procrastinate anymore and picked up series parts too.

While we were looking into the transmission issue realized my trailing arm spacers broke and fell away.

So going to scramble to get replacement and get them installed.

Phoned a friend Colin today and learned the deal on the transmission luckily before digging into it!

Looks like I'm more or less ready... looking for a Jerry can if I can get one.

Took apart my front axle to replace my cv’s and to remove the differential and reapply rtv. Found a cracked boot on one of my guide pins for the brakes. Found it just in time too as it wasn’t hard to get out but would have been in the near future. Some of you may remember earlier this year I had a completely seized guide pin that required me to replace the caliper carrier. So buy a set of guide pins and boots, they’re cheap, and keep them on hand for when you need them.

77cb11708ef5d787af0bf09c4f612a0a.jpg

093a9179fe40bc9b4c7a84013aec579b.jpg

The diff looked good when I took it out. Happy to get that resealed

f6bf45273c6938ab5664bc8463aa855b.jpg

Cv job started off smooth. Got the dust shield thing onto the new shafts easily. Slipped it into the diff easily. The hub would not go one though. The splines on the new Ashcroft 300M cv’s don’t fit in the hub. My old cv’s are also Ashcroft and they slide in easily. The differential side of the shafts fit into the hub splines easily. So I don’t know why the cv’s don’t. I emailed Ashcroft and will call them at like midnight or whatever and try to get this figured out as I would like to have a functioning front axle for the Rovicon. Any feedback on this issue is appreciated. Here are some pics of the two cv’s

18ad529c96e70a36d7c55d3e44bcc8e9.jpg

Old cv

1d05fb824611b4542c09de85122331ec.jpg

New cv

707bcba25dde6875c801f26d635fe8d0.jpg

Old cv

1b4ce4b0ce336347ef2308bd14669c90.jpg

New cv at this point I can pick up the hub by lifting the cv. It’s jammed in the splines

Most likely just need to deburr them with a file . I have that happen all the time with the baja bug cv's

Most likely just need to deburr them with a file . I have that happen all the time with the baja bug cv's

I don’t know. The machining is pretty clean. Plus the new 300M shaft fits fine into the hub splines. Both Cv’s get stuck at pretty much the exact same point into the splines. I’ll see what they have to say but I’d be pretty surprised if I could make these work.

On Sunday, I tracked down an oil leak from the rear output flange of the transfer case in the D2. I was ready to replace the shaft seal but found that the leak was actually from the felt seal under the large nylock nut. The nut itself was quite loose and took very little effort to remove.

I didn’t change the shaft seal as there was zero sign of leaking there. I didn’t have a new felt seal and used a little thread sealer under the big washer and nylock nut to hopefully seal the machines surfaces. I also added a little locktite to the nut since I didn’t have a replacement.

The symptom was evidence of oil spraying from the outside rear of the brake drum. The oil is sprayed tangentially to the drum and mostly ends up spraying upwards and to the passenger side. The leak was initially small but eventually led to a drip on the driveway which is the threshold for remedial action at our place.

There was no oil inside the brake drum. If you have oil inside the brake drum, this will most certainly be from the shaft seal and your brake pads may need replacement.

I have always had variable vibration from my driveline since moving to the large tyres. I wonder if this loose nut could be contributing. I can’t wait to test it on the freeway.

Edited by RobertDingli

Thanks to Don, we spent Saturday rebuilding the front of the Classic. New timing chain and sprockets, oil pump, pressure relief, front main seal, water pump and gaskets, distributor cap and rotor and all coolant hoses.

As always, most of the time was spent cleaning parts.

The timing chain was a little loose but most other components were in pretty good shape. I had new parts on hand and so everything was refreshed anyway.

We checked one of the main bearings and discovered a reasonable amount of wear. Looks like the sump will come off again in the next few months to replace main and big end bearings.

It was great to see the oil pressure come up a second after starting. The idle quality was smoother than previously.

We worked until 3am hoping to be able to drive it home, but the brake pump started playing up after the engine was sorted, and so we came home empty handed.

2d11b9b074b506ea6cd6fb133948c302.jpg

42c1daf3b7cc0ebadf7e432220a06c52.jpg

10775447e01255af2e9edd8cac8bd520.jpg

23674422ec175ebf7d4843af7a028b45.jpg

823de89ae0d064c4eaaa247a16631880.jpg

bd29fac9c0eb0132e8793d95daf5c4cc.jpg

16bcfb5802a200100c92eed44d4fab20.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Robert and Scott stopped by today to discuss L405 life.

Fabbed up one more set of brackets to finalize the mounting of Scott's roof rack (no more flappy rack I'm afraid).

2021-09-06 20_50_19-Photo - Google Photos.png

We also spent some time thinking out a plan for sliders...

2021-09-06 20_50_34-Photo - Google Photos.png

Will they be complete for Moab? Will Scott get any actual (paid) work done? We may never know... 

• 3 weeks later...

Walked past Eleven today as I went out to the barn to organize the multiplying tires and rims...

It appears, par for the course, Eleven has a rather egregious leak.

image.png

I'll take it as "axle tears" and that I probably need to re-seal them. While I have the axles out, I may as well install true trac and detroit differentials. I suppose I should improve the gears too.... and then....

In better news, it only took an hour to get the rack built and the tires up off the floor. Someday... the tractor might actually fit in here.

image.png

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend was a busy one!

On Saturday when we loaded Snowflake onto the trailer to leave Moab the steering box lower seal gave way and gushed fluid... So yesterday and today was spent swapping in a box I had on the shelf off a pick - n - pull truck for another project... hopefully it doesn't leak as bad...

Sunday afternoon a rescue mission was set into motion - Johann's LR3 had a parking brake "stuck-on" issue that led to hot and smoking brakes after driving down from Summit to Blossom Hill.

image.png

After a quick run back up the hill and down again with the Silverado, we dropped it off at Alvin's hoping that they can sort it in time for the annual!

image.png

My working theory is that the LR3 was tired of mall crawling and this was a cry for help to get out on the trails!!

I took Snowflake to work on Tuesday to do a test run on the steering box. No leaks!

However on the way home as I started up the grade on 17 I started getting the oil burning smell, then shortly after a wisp of smoke drifts in through the pass-through hood vents. Almost immediately I get a honk from behind and sure enough, Snowflake is the cloud producer. 

I pulled over, and could not find the source with the engine off, so started it and found the oil line spraying directly onto the exhaust manifold.

I called Johann thinking he might be home and could bring down the trailer... but he was broken down in the LR3 on the next exit!! His parking brake was still dragging.

So... I dug around, found the silicone hose tape (thanks Cris for the tip) and wrapped up the hose and limped over to the Bear Creek exit. There Johann was sitting waiting for the AAA. 

The tape held pretty well:

image.png

Theresa came down and got me, and we went back to the house and grabbed the Silverado and trailer and towed it home. Of course I hadn't unloaded the barn roofing metal yet off the trailer... so that was oil soaked and required an immediate washing. 

image.png

New Theory - If I don't unload the steel off the trailer I will continue to be forced to use it. As soon as the trailer is unloaded... I won't need it anymore. ; ).

• 3 weeks later...

Removed the old oil lines last weekend and dropped them off at Royal Brass in San Jose for a rebuild.

Not only was it cheaper to have them rebuilt than to buy OEM, but they finished them in a day : ).

Very happy with the quality of work.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Today got the oil cooler lines reinstalled and added some Alisport bling... been meaning to replace the old stock coolant reservoir ever since Scott's Classic reservoir failed on the snow run. Some additional overdue wiring cleanup was performed as well.

image.png

image.png

image.png