What Did You Do With Your Rover Today?

AdvRovr

Is it pre-smog? Because I feel like two letters could really improve things here....

Got the Pacer off the ground and got a good look at her. Some ominous looking dents and a hole coming from the inside out on the oil pan. Looking at an LS swap and a T56 6 speed swap. Was hoping to get it driveable in the interim before I can find the right drivetrain to swap, but don’t think it will be worth the work now. I have a few vehicle to do’s to knock out before I can devote time to the Pacer, but I’ll probably pull the drivetrain out in the next month or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the Pacer off the ground and got a good look at her. Some ominous looking dents and a hole coming from the inside out on the oil pan. Looking at an LS swap and a T56 6 speed swap. Was hoping to get it driveable in the interim before I can find the right drivetrain to swap, but don’t think it will be worth the work now. I have a few vehicle to do’s to knock out before I can devote time to the Pacer, but I’ll probably pull the drivetrain out in the next month or so.

So random but saw one today with a track setup and internal cage blast past me going the other way...sounded sick

Finally got my rear diff back together and installed today. I needed to replace the internal locker air line which had cracked. Thanks to Eric for helping me check the gear mesh and setting the back lash.

d23997eb52d564f65482cd423f5676cf.jpg

ee78d6dc35683469863321a0aba707ad.jpg

d907a06b65ee507eb5594039ed4df8c0.jpg

It was interesting to note that this professionally built diff had been set to a back lash of 12 thou which is 2 to 3 times the correct spec. Next time I will build it myself.

Edited by RobertDingli

Spliced in new hard line for the rear brakes on Snowflake. 

Had to back off and seat a few times to get the brake fluid to stop ruining my clothes. 

Finally got it after shirt was completely ruined and the leak was satisfied.

I am seriously considering the next time I have a brake job to add in brake shut-off valves. Should be handy both on and off trail : )

So my big event for the rover was to take it out for a spin. It’s been sitting since late September. And would have probably sat for longer except my 4 year old daughter says “daddy can we go for a ride in the bumpy truckâ€. She has named my rover the bumpy truck and my Tacoma the camping truck. I was sort of surprised so I had to ask her twice that she did in fact want to ride in the bumpy truck. It is also sort of buried tandem in my garage and I need to clear a path to get it out. So before I start a project I wanted to make su re. And she definitely wanted to ride in it. After about 30 minutes of clearing and filling the slow leak tire up with air we were on the road. She gave the ride a big thumbs up when we were done. Now just to go find some mud or dirt.

5ede2c541e5e1dcb73bac6a91e11376f.jpg

I was also glad that everything seems to be working... except for a strange random short interval squeal when I’m going 20-30 (and not all the time). I thought it was a belt. But they are all tight. It seams like it could be coming from inside. Maybe the speedo? any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You don't want my shop - it's overrun with old RRCs!

Actually, spent Sunday on Greg's RRC again.  We got a new battery and alternator in, added a battery disconnect, cowl on, suspension bushings changed, new steering box in, and did some alignment work.  If his new tail lights had arrived it would be on the road!

Started the fun process of the range rover classic heater blower. This is not a job I would wish on the devil himself. The range rover may be a marvel of engineering but the heater box was definitely built on a Friday before a 3 day weekend.

post-1380-0-03182300-1612236210_thumb.jpg

I used the LR3 to drag my trailer around the yard collecting all the debris from the last wind storm.  Normally I'd use one of the RRCs for this but I decided to use the young 'un this time.

My yard is still too wet to drive the classics on it : (

Spent some time on Sunday doing a seat swap on a classic for the snow run.

Out with the old -

e0af17683a6aef200ef92a1ff1bc60ca.jpg

a57738a41d7c3d451e831cadd5003a3a.jpg

And in with the new(ish).

5ad264ae537d84fe48ca865e6a8fcf54.jpg

Someday... I'll need to reupholster these but that day is not today. ;)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

More progress on the RRC this past Saturday, Don, Luke and myself had some fun finishing up projects.

Lights are done, which setup, some doors repaired and broken () and wheel arches done.

I have one door to fix and then I need to figure out why I continue to blow fuses on the turn signals.

Then some maintenance on leaking hubs and brakes that can use some help, also doing good straps.

Once it's all set I plan to do a diy Paint job.

81ab421f240c6de4a16dbe19b5074a97.jpg

336bc154911ae3a9cea1b1a6a6526e5d.jpg

b1ca695fa52f18e78a3110d030e3ceb4.jpg

0740f381e84be333fa70fc04fc29e73c.jpg

837de8cebeb8714d8b9957683f9b0979.jpg

a25c839b775dff36bf9675def73c0115.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Welp, not today, but just before the snow run:

Did a suspension swap onto Eleven and added 3" springs I happened to have on hand in the barn and swapped over some 32" tires.

Before:

19e2a0061e01e87b9998b457d1d0f824.jpg

c77ed8f0b92c769a3a41a3a6e23939cd.jpg

After:

3065b3d436221f7ccd18e29a6395e9d1.jpg

d41c8fdcfd60988298d20bf191032cc9.jpg

Also swapped the seats to make the journey marginally more comfortable.

Amazingly both sets of seats are waaaaay harder than Snowflake's. So at some point I'll need to redo foam and trim.

6d7daff9189e1442506bea93d2aa2eea.jpg

So this didn't happen today, but over the weekend, and it's not the weekend anymore.

I'm finally getting around to posting and getting the D1 fixed.

The driver side CV went out on the D1 on the way home from the High Lakes trip from last year.

IMG_6687.JPG

Had to build a little shelter from the elements.

IMG_6688.JPG

So I believe thats not supposed to stay in there like that.

Also if you notice I busted off a bolt in the process.  Argh.

image000000.jpg

There's the rest of it.  Not good.