2023 Annual Overland Trip - Oregon BDR #5 South

So Mark as of now can't make it. But Amelia and Cassidy are in! This does mean I will be solo driving the road miles. Any advice for prepping for such mileage? I haven't done more than 400 miles in a day since 2021.

8 minutes ago, drafdog said:

So Mark as of now can't make it. But Amelia and Cassidy are in! This does mean I will be solo driving the road miles. Any advice for prepping for such mileage? I haven't done more than 400 miles in a day since 2021.

how old are your kids?   I am bringing a 13 year old

23 hours ago, drafdog said:

Since you’re driving a rover, at least couple of credit cards with high spending limits for gas. 😂 

But seriously, besides the credit cards, extra fluid (oil, coolant, etc.) and snacks. 
my 3yo will be riding shotgun, so I’m sure that 400mi drive will be broken up into at least 3 stops. 

On 5/31/2023 at 1:13 PM, drafdog said:

Comfortable clothes/shoes and breathable underwear 😉👌🏼

12 hours ago, Elherbinator said:

Comfortable clothes/shoes and breathable underwear 😉👌🏼

Not to brag, but I got the ball vents. 

But I plan on lots of snacks, food, energy drinks, and Amelia on aux. Well, until I override her. I've got a couple supplies (MAF, GAP tool, basic wrench set, etc) but need to stock up on fluids. My main concern now is stamina.

On 5/31/2023 at 1:13 PM, drafdog said:

A bunch of NCLR podcasts in the queue to put you in the mood. Or make you sick of land rover talk by the time you get there. 

On 5/12/2023 at 9:13 PM, jcb said:

@RobertDingli I am planning on bringing the Joolca HOTTAP Nomad and double ensuite, but maybe we both can bring one each to save space and weight?

Also, I plan to bring my new GuzzleH20 since it looks like we will be near water sources.  Happy to refill any and all containers to cut down on the amount of water we might otherwise bring.

Finally, any interest in divvying up cooking meals and/or food consolidation?  I'm happy to cover a dinner and/or breakfast or two.

I will bring might HOTTAP and a single ensuit as well. At this stage, I am thinking of taking the L322 but I have a spare pump to bring along as part of the kit. My original pump is mounted in the D2. 

On 6/3/2023 at 5:47 PM, PaulD said:

@Motobrewer any beer orders being offered up???

--Paul

Kelly's_Field_3.jpg

I have been fighting some issues with the truck to get it ready for the trip. There is a chance that I will have to bail at the last minute, in which case, I will make arrangements to get the load to you. If all goes well, I will be picking up the beer on Saturday morning with the goal of joining the South Bay Convoy somewhere on I-80. 

What is available: 

- Bo Pils

- Red Lager

- Gold IPA

- Red IPA

- Oatmeal Stout

- Blonde Ale (our newest core beer) 4.2% ABV, 12 IBUs "An easy-drinking American classic, golden with a touch of honey- crisp, refreshing, and exceptionally clean." (our version of 805).  

- Helles (newest addition to our Lager Series): Will be in very limited supply. I will set aside a few cases for the trip, but if you want it, please order sooner than later. 

- Belgian Tripel (canning in the next 10 days - Super fresh): 8.6% ABV

Order Herehttps://forms.gle/6CRSS3MF7qcdUr2m8

Edited by Motobrewer
grammar

1 hour ago, Motobrewer said:

I have been fighting some issues with the truck to get it ready for the trip. There is a chance that I will have to bail at the last minute, in which case, I will make arrangements to get the load to you. If all goes well, I will be picking up the beer on Saturday morning with the goal of joining the South Bay Convoy somewhere on I-80. 

Youuuuuuu shhaaaaaallllll nnnoooooottttt Baaaaaaaiiiiilllll

Seriously, I'll be back in the bay on the 19th, maybe I can squeeze in a tech day to make sure you make this trip.

20 hours ago, Motobrewer said:

What is available: 

- Bo Pils

- Red Lager

- Gold IPA

- Red IPA

- Oatmeal Stout

- Blonde Ale (our newest core beer) 4.2% ABV, 12 IBUs "An easy-drinking American classic, golden with a touch of honey- crisp, refreshing, and exceptionally clean." (our version of 805).  

- Helles (newest addition to our Lager Series): Will be in very limited supply. I will set aside a few cases for the trip, but if you want it, please order sooner than later. 

- Belgian Tripel (canning in the next 10 days - Super fresh): 8.6% ABV

Order Herehttps://forms.gle/6CRSS3MF7qcdUr2m8

what are you fighting? I have the same rig.. can I help

Belgian Tripel (canning in the next 10 days - Super fresh): 8.6% ABV  Sounds Bril to me

Edited by SLOHybrid

Had a small coolant leak last week that looked like a lot of oil. Luckily it was the small plug at the top of crossover. 

just need to do rear shocks and I should be set. Planning a short “tech” day at the brewery on Monday, June 19th. Flat ground, plenty of beer close by and we are closed that day. Going to see who is around. Really just need help starting the nuts on the top of the shocks, drinking buddy and possibly moral support.

The rest are just weird Rover issues that won’t stop me. Why does my window automatically roll down when trying to put up then suddenly work - not always reproducible? Why does my passenger mirror not adjust as much as the drivers? And the collection of electronics codes that don’t seem to impact anything? Might be the drivers door collection of switches? Or I need to dig around the BCM/fuse panel, but I don’t think the L322 are subject to leaks in that area like the LR3/4’s are. (Shrug). 

Would anyone like to coordinate spares, fuel, water, and food? I have 2, 5 gallon water and fuel tanks. For spares I have a MAF and a GAP tool with limited features for LR3-LR4. Food wise I have started to plan out meals. I have an ARB fridge to work with.

22 hours ago, Motobrewer said:

Had a small coolant leak last week that looked like a lot of oil. Luckily it was the small plug at the top of crossover. 

just need to do rear shocks and I should be set. Planning a short “tech” day at the brewery on Monday, June 19th. Flat ground, plenty of beer close by and we are closed that day. Going to see who is around. Really just need help starting the nuts on the top of the shocks, drinking buddy and possibly moral support.

The rest are just weird Rover issues that won’t stop me. Why does my window automatically roll down when trying to put up then suddenly work - not always reproducible? Why does my passenger mirror not adjust as much as the drivers? And the collection of electronics codes that don’t seem to impact anything? Might be the drivers door collection of switches? Or I need to dig around the BCM/fuse panel, but I don’t think the L322 are subject to leaks in that area like the LR3/4’s are. (Shrug). 

Hope the shocks get fitted, electrical gremlins do not go above "annoying" level, and we'll see you on the trail!

21 hours ago, drafdog said:

Would anyone like to coordinate spares, fuel, water, and food? I have 2, 5 gallon water and fuel tanks. For spares I have a MAF and a GAP tool with limited features for LR3-LR4. Food wise I have started to plan out meals. I have an ARB fridge to work with.

I'm bringing an ignition coil, break light switch, bulbs, plastic thermostat crossover housing, used sway bar links, coolant overflow bottle, and possibly an alternator.

On 6/4/2023 at 11:35 AM, RobertDingli said:

I will bring might HOTTAP and a single ensuit as well. At this stage, I am thinking of taking the L322 but I have a spare pump to bring along as part of the kit. My original pump is mounted in the D2. 

Bribed my oncologist to agree to a hemlock hiatus and to clear me for the trip so I'm good to go.  Stoked is an understatement.

I have the Joolca Nomad kit that fits into the sink bucket for dishes etc., plus ~100 ft of hoses to reach those pesky guzzlers Miles was on about for Mojave.  Happy to bring that, the double ensuite, both or neither as the case may be.

Also just got a Nomad grill & smoker and broke her in last night and she rules.  Enough space to que up a feast and can run multiple shifts.

@Draftdog I'm bringing the Dometic 75 dual zone, two VASST 18L water tanks and one or two 4G gas Rotopax, and as per previous, the Guzzle H20.  Happy to share/divvy up cooking, whatever works.

4 hours ago, jcb said:

Bribed my oncologist to agree to a hemlock hiatus and to clear me for the trip so I'm good to go.  Stoked is an understatement.

I have the Joolca Nomad kit that fits into the sink bucket for dishes etc., plus ~100 ft of hoses to reach those pesky guzzlers Miles was on about for Mojave.  Happy to bring that, the double ensuite, both or neither as the case may be.

Also just got a Nomad grill & smoker and broke her in last night and she rules.  Enough space to que up a feast and can run multiple shifts.

@Draftdog I'm bringing the Dometic 75 dual zone, two VASST 18L water tanks and one or two 4G gas Rotopax, and as per previous, the Guzzle H20.  Happy to share/divvy up cooking, whatever works.

WOOOOOOO

So happy you can join us Jeff! Looking forward to catch up!

5 hours ago, jcb said:

AWESOME! what about the rotisserie😀

On 6/9/2023 at 11:49 AM, jcb said:

I'm currently planning the meals for my group. We have 4 people (Me, Mark, Cassidy, and Amelia) with a total of 27 meals to be made. This is including travel days. I'm definitely down to coordinate meals, and storage stuff. I have 10 gallons of gas, and up to 20 gallons of water. We could definitely cut down on water storage if we are able to fill up the water. I can share our plan through google docs/text. Or possibly a google sheets with multiple people. You can reach me @ 650 918 9823 for more details.

How many LR3s will there be? I have a swing out tire carrier and can carry up to 2 tires. I have a 275 65 R18 K02 on the swingout, and a free spot underneath.