2023 Annual Overland Trip - Oregon BDR #5 South

On 6/10/2023 at 10:57 AM, jcb said:

Oh heck yea.  Spit roasted leg 'o lamb, anyone?  Pork rib roast?  Prime rib?

Bueller?  Bueller?

nomad-roto.jpg

Behold the rotisserie of the gods!

I'm all in for the lamb! 

Let us know what we should acquire!

I am behind... but my goal in getting shipped off to Texas this week is to finish the last two days to get us home. 

Currently I am waiting on a call back from a lady with a cow (I'll leave you in suspense)... before I can plan the last two days.

Two details folks should know come to mind:

1. A heads up that we will have one or two "in-town" food days similar to the year we ran EMHT. 
  2. We won't have quite the "open range" we did on EMHT - for anyone running a BoaFeng Handheld radio, I highly recommend ordering an external antenna and an adaptor at a minimum so that you can catch the communications
    1. One option for antenna with a BaoFeng adapter  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XQ9H9OC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Of course, if you have any targeted questions please let me know either here or otherwise

13 hours ago, Mr.BlueSky said:

I am behind... but my goal in getting shipped off to Texas this week is to finish the last two days to get us home. 

Currently I am waiting on a call back from a lady with a cow (I'll leave you in suspense)... before I can plan the last two days.

Two details folks should know come to mind:

1. A heads up that we will have one or two "in-town" food days similar to the year we ran EMHT. 
  2. We won't have quite the "open range" we did on EMHT - for anyone running a BoaFeng Handheld radio, I highly recommend ordering an external antenna and an adaptor at a minimum so that you can catch the communications
    1. One option for antenna with a BaoFeng adapter  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XQ9H9OC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Of course, if you have any targeted questions please let me know either here or otherwise

Where will we end the trail? I’m trying to figure out if I will be able to make it home by the end of June 2, or if it will have to be a two day drive.

22 hours ago, Mr.BlueSky said:

Behold the rotisserie of the gods!

I'm all in for the lamb! 

Let us know what we should acquire!

I'll bring the lego lambo, so feel free to bring any desired sides or greenery.  I was thinking of doing some roast taters but we could do a big batch on the campfire with the dutch oven...  The world is our oyster.

This is not going to suck.  At all.

22 hours ago, Mr.BlueSky said:

Texas, eh?  If I ever get out of the burbs, I'm rolling with one of these...

long-hair-cow-1.jpg

Edited by jcb

12 hours ago, SLOHybrid said:

SASHA.. July 2nd   definitely a 1 1/2 days journey @ least back to SLO and south bay. We plan to take the 3rd & 4th as heading home time.

Got it. Thank you Nathan. I’ll plan to be back on the 3rd.

On 6/13/2023 at 9:37 AM, SDS said:

Where will we end the trail? I’m trying to figure out if I will be able to make it home by the end of June 2, or if it will have to be a two day drive.

As of right now, we are ending Thursday near Burns area, so by Saturday we should be another good 80-100 miles south. This should put us within striking distance of home in a day (Our Paso Robles friends may find this more painful, but it's the farthest I reasonably expect to get).

IF stars align, we could make it as far as Fariport/Goose Lake on the CA-OR boarder.

22 hours ago, jcb said:

Texas, eh?  If I ever get out of the burbs, I'm rolling with one of these...

long-hair-cow-1.jpg

I feel like we need to trade off our ranchette for a real ranch so we can have some proper moos. Currently though, it is 96* in Austin, Texas with 58% humidity. I, nor this cow... are fans.

Thus I do not expect to be moving down here anytime soon.

4 hours ago, JeffBlake said:

I’m driving from Tahoe to Seattle to see my folks this weekend, I’m so tempted to join you guys on the way south! But my new rover isn’t outfitted at all yet for camping, but I could cobble something together… 

Outfitted for camping can mean as simple as packing a tent. You don't really need much more.  

16 hours ago, JeffBlake said:

I’m driving from Tahoe to Seattle to see my folks this weekend, I’m so tempted to join you guys on the way south! But my new rover isn’t outfitted at all yet for camping, but I could cobble something together… 

Hope you have time to get outfitted!

So many posts to catch up! 

- if we we are stopping for supplies on the way up, I’ll grab some stuff for the @jcb meat frenzy. 

- planning on returning 2-July. I have a beer festival on the afternoon of the third. 

- my first “stop” will be the brewery to grab necessary supplies and order fulfillment, but I may just do that Friday. Haven’t yet figured out where the potential SF/South Bay intercept will be on I-80. 

getting excited and looking forward to some time on the trail. 

13 minutes ago, Motobrewer said:

- if we we are stopping for supplies on the way up, I’ll grab some stuff for the @jcb meat frenzy. 

- planning on returning 2-July. I have a beer festival on the afternoon of the third. 

- my first “stop” will be the brewery to grab necessary supplies and order fulfillment, but I may just do that Friday. Haven’t yet figured out where the potential SF/South Bay intercept will be on I-80. 

AWESOME glad you and the L322 can make it.    (do you have a Gap tool) I do not

bring some of that Belgian Tripel👊

Just now, Motobrewer said:

I do have the gap tool. I’ll be sure to have lots of tripel with me.   just ordered 2  4 packs👊

planning to do the shocks Monday and should be set. 

bring the tool also. thanks Paul

3 hours ago, Motobrewer said:

I plan to get home by July 3rd, have a July 4th parade & bbq to prepare for. NCLR always welcomed. 

Should have final itinerary up tonight - pushing hard to get it done. Looks like our fuel stops once we drop south into the Oregon Outback are limited, closed, or just plain nonexistent. I've got one section that I am trying to determine if we (*cough* older trucks *cough*) can make the stretch.

Everyone must plan on 5 gallons minimum of extra fuel AND cash. In some places assume $6 / gallon.

Behold, Oregon outback Chevron equivalent : ).

image.png

Alrighty folks - the not-so-rough-draft has been attached here and to the first post.

I'll continue to refine during the week, but this is the plan. I'd plan on expecting the unexpected on this one...

- Sand flag needed - yes, please obtain a whip and sand flag for this trip. It will be necessary when we cross into the Christmas Valley dunes. This has been added to the minimum vehicle requirement list.

Rain, could be

- Run out of fuel? - Only if you forget your friend Jerry ; ).

- Trees down? - Johann and I have chainsaws

- Rivers too high to cross... well then this is gonna be an (alternate) adventure

- Satellites mis-reading snow levels - recoveries are in order

- Mosquitos? - Bring 100% Deet

- Mud, I bet so.

23.06.16_ORBDR_5-South_NCLR.pdf

Itinerary looks great, thanks for putting this together!  Leigh Anne and I will be leaving Reno Sun morning.  Per Google maps if we leave Reno at 8:00 AM we should catch up or possibly be ahead of the group by the Vernon Chevron station.  Should actually connect somewhere between Burns and Mt Vernon.

Found a flag, looking for the whip/pole part.  if you have a link on amazon or somewhere please post - want to make sure I have time to make a little bracket to mount on my truck.  And what's the height requirement?  8 feet above ground, or less if mounted on my roof rack (already 7 feet up)

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Mffoster said:

Itinerary looks great, thanks for putting this together!  Leigh Anne and I will be leaving Reno Sun morning.  Per Google maps if we leave Reno at 8:00 AM we should catch up or possibly be ahead of the group by the Vernon Chevron station.  Should actually connect somewhere between Burns and Mt Vernon.

Found a flag, looking for the whip/pole part.  if you have a link on amazon or somewhere please post - want to make sure I have time to make a little bracket to mount on my truck.  And what's the height requirement?  8 feet above ground, or less if mounted on my roof rack (already 7 feet up)

Thanks!

Attached is the Brochure for Christmas Valley Dunes - looks like they actually specify 9ft tall from the ground. (I expect the typical 8ft is going to get us by fine).

In the past, I've wedged, zip tied, and clamped the whip to the roof rack. A quick Amazon search shows that most of the ATV mounts should work I expect.

https://www.amazon.com/atv-flag-mount/s?k=atv+flag+mount

I might pick one up as well!

Christmas_Valley_Sand_Dunes.pdf

Picked up the  NCLR flag at the meeting of members and this flag pole before the 9ft requirement.  It’s 24” tall and relatively stiff (for boats). probably better used for this is the NCLR camp here, stationary flag. Likely just under 9ft tall. 

Affordura Boat American Flag with Pole 12x18 Boat Flag Pole Mount for 0.5-1.33 Inch Round and Pontoon Square Rails with 2 American Boat Flag Clips https://a.co/d/5Oy8UMC

Leaning towards a more flexible whip pole but coming up empty on Amazon searches as well. Might pick up a bike flag, zip tie the club flag to it and mount off the roof rack.  Maybe a cheap CB antenna? What have people used?