2023 Annual Overland Trip - Oregon BDR #5 South

**PHOTOS LINK HERE* https://photos.app.goo.gl/GRv1Hmg3wnbJ2qC67

Hello Land Rover People!

We are thrilled to announce that the club will be hosting the Second Annual Overland Event this year!

The goal for the Overland Event will be to provide a once yearly, multi-day, club sponsored overland event. Think Rovicon, but with less rocks ; ). We will aim for a relaxed, exploratory pace. 

The location will change each year so that we have a chance to explore all that the West Coast and beyond has to offer!

_____

2023 Overland Event Location:

For 2023, we plan to traverse a good portion of the Oregon BDR Route #5. We will start at the Northern End (pain at the beginning to get there) in order to end our journey in the south, closer to home.

The trip highlights are high Oregon Desert, Pine forests, mining history, water crossings, and rivers (with water in them!).

Dates and Itinerary:  June 24th to July 2nd

As always our pace will depend on a variety of factors including road conditions, speed, interest in stops, etc. Additionally this year we have an extra challenge from high-water crossings and potentially snow. Hopefully by running the route the last week in June we will see less or no snow.

We will be running the route from North to South so as to make our return trip home much less painful than the long trek up. With luck, we will hit the CA-OR border.

Below is a rough itinerary as planned so far, as we get a bit closer, the full itinerary will be shared. For folks not starting in the Bay area we will scoop you up along the I-80 corridor.

• June 24th, Transit Day 1: Bay Area, CA to Rye Patch, NV
  • June 25th, Transit Day 2: Rye Patch, NV to Dale, OR area 
  • June 26th, Trail Day 1: Dale to Sumpter
  • June 27th, Trail Day 3: Sumpter to Crane Creek
  • June 28th, Trail Day 4: Crane Creek to Cheatum Holler
  • June 29th, Trail Day 5: Cheatum Holler to Jew Valley
  • June 30th, Trail Day 6: Jew Valley to Mud Spring
  • July 1st,      Trail Day 7: Mud Spring to Crane Mountain
  • July 2nd, Transit Day: OR Border to Home

• Cost per driver is $60, $18 per Passenger
    • Members will get a discount and get first grabs at the open slots before we open this to the public.
    • The registration fees will go towards T-shirts, patches and other goodies - we aim to make this a break even event.
  • Registration is LIVE! --> https://forum.norcalrovers.org/store/category/8-trips-events/
  • Registration will be limited to 15 vehicles in order to maintain a manageable event.

Difficulty & Vehicle Requirements:

Stock vehicles are certainly welcome and will likely have no issues on the trail. 

Things to expect:

• Mileage, don't bring your lease vehicle because we have quite the jaunt to arrive at the starting point! In all we should expect to cover around 1800-2000 miles on this trip. 
  • Potential for weather events - this year has been unpredictable at best. We could run into snow, impassable water crossings, rain, forest fires etc - bring what you need to be prepared.

Minimum Vehicle Requirements

• Mechanically Sound Rover (as best as they are)
  • Working E-Brake/Parking Brake
  • 30" tires including full-size spare
  • Recovery Points front and rear
  • Center Differential Lock (CDL) (or other modern equivalent)

Minimum Gear Requirements:

• Enough water for each participant for multiple days
  • Extra Fuel
  • Spare parts and tools
  • Fire Extinguisher
  • First Aid kit
  • 8ft whip + Sand Flag (if no flag contact Yokrieger)

Recommended Vehicle Requirements and gear:

• Vehicle Jack and Tire patch kit
  • Spare tires (LR3 owners... bring extras! Gabe will need them ; )....
  • Shovel
  • Traction Boards
  • Swim Trunks!
  • Wag Bags - Pack out yo Poo

Attendee Drivers:

1. Sasha / SDS
  2. Mike and Leigh Anne / Mffoster
  3. Johann / yokrieger
  4. Jeff / jcb
  5. Cris and Sebastian / lithium1330
  6. RobertDingli / RobertDingli
  7. Oliver / drafdog
  8. Paul / Motobrewer
  9. Will / Gotrovr
  10. Nathan / SLOHybrid
  11. Paul D. / PaulD
  15. Miles, Theresa, and Henry Wynn / Mr.BlueSky

Christmas_Valley_Sand_Dunes.pdf

23.06.18_ORBDR_5-South_NCLR.pdf

2023 ORBDR5 Planned Route.zip

On 4/24/2023 at 12:46 PM, Mffoster said:

Leigh Anne and I are signed up. 

Wonderful, and our route up North will take us right by you, we will pick you up along the way ; ). 

I just signed up but m not entirely sure I can make it as I am in chemo and am not certain exactly how long it will last.

If I can't make it and there are more than 15 I am happy to gift the spot to whoever is next on the list.

Hard to describe how much I want to do this and see you guys again...  Still dreaming of the Mojave.

Cheers.

jcb

16 hours ago, jcb said:

I just signed up but m not entirely sure I can make it as I am in chemo and am not certain exactly how long it will last.

If I can't make it and there are more than 15 I am happy to gift the spot to whoever is next on the list.

Hard to describe how much I want to do this and see you guys again...  Still dreaming of the Mojave.

Cheers.

jcb

Hope you can make! It would be great to catch up.

17 hours ago, jcb said:

Cheers.

jcb

Jeff, hope to see you there! Mojave was a blast and I still reminisce - if I could take a month and go we would!

Also, if you ever want to head up into the hills and visit, let us know! I've got whiskey and beer here for you ; ).

1 hour ago, Mr.BlueSky said:

Jeff, hope to see you there! Mojave was a blast and I still reminisce - if I could take a month and go we would!

Also, if you ever want to head up into the hills and visit, let us know! I've got whiskey and beer here for you ; ).

Yea me too...  often look at the photos and videos from that trip.  Just an awesome adventure.  Overlanding vicariously via Instagram only goes so far...

Would love to come up for a bevvy but sadly I'm off the sauce until the hemlock works its magic, but will definitely take you up on it once it does.

8 hours ago, jcb said:

Yea me too...  often look at the photos and videos from that trip.  Just an awesome adventure.  Overlanding vicariously via Instagram only goes so far...

Would love to come up for a bevvy but sadly I'm off the sauce until the hemlock works its magic, but will definitely take you up on it once it does.

Agreed, Instagram just doesn't feel the same ; ).

Miles, do you think we will run the trail into the night or just during the day? Looking for justifications to add more lights and figured this may be a good reason :).

Edited by drafdog

53 minutes ago, drafdog said:

Miles, do you think we will run the trail into the night or just during the day? Looking for justifications to add more lights and figured this may be a good reason :).

You can never have too many lights (says the guy with an extra 600W of front facing lights). 

4 hours ago, drafdog said:

The goal will be to get into camp most nights before dark. Right now for on trail days I think we are managing around 5pm to 6:30pm Mon-Wed.

The final itinerary is coming along... there is a (surprising) amount of history in the area to be uncovered! 

Roughly, the route shown below will be traversed on Monday-Wednesday trail days. This section our club member Gabe pre-ran last year. (Thanks Gabe!) More details to follow!

image.png

Update to first post above:

We will be running the route from North to South so as to make our return trip home much less painful than the long trek up. With luck, we will hit the CA-OR border.

Below is a rough itinerary as planned so far, as we get a bit closer, the full itinerary will be shared. For folks not starting in the Bay area we will scoop you up along the I-80 corridor.

• June 24th, Transit Day 1: Bay Area, CA to Rye Patch, NV
  • June 25th, Transit Day 2: Rye Patch, NV to Dale, OR area 
  • June 26th, Trail Day 1: Dale to Sumpter
  • June 27th, Trail Day 3: Sumpter to Crane Creek
  • June 28th, Trail Day 4: ...
  • June 29th, Trail Day 5: ...
  • June 30th, Trail Day 6 ...
  • July 1st, TBD
  • July 2nd, Transit Day ?: to Home

My work schedule is pretty much clear right now, so I am really hoping I can make this. I will literally becoming off the second half of Section 5 of the ORBDR (June 10-18), the part we didn't have time to do last year. Taking a different pace on the same route and learning the history and sights of the region would be a whole new experience.

And BTW, my LR4 now has KO2's hahaha (my LR3 has had them forever and they've been great performers; my spare is still brand new after more than 2.5 years and 55K miles).

On 5/5/2023 at 12:09 AM, pilotgabe said:

My work schedule is pretty much clear right now, so I am really hoping I can make this. I will literally becoming off the second half of Section 5 of the ORBDR (June 10-18), the part we didn't have time to do last year. Taking a different pace on the same route and learning the history and sights of the region would be a whole new experience.

And BTW, my LR4 now has KO2's hahaha (my LR3 has had them forever and they've been great performers; my spare is still brand new after more than 2.5 years and 55K miles).

Are those the wheels I sold you from my LR4? If so, that set will be on its second club Overland trip. 

Signed up. Have a list of things to do for the new truck but should be able to get it done.

Will have to judge how “good” of a decision this is with the wife as we get closer. 

we can also make the brewery a meet up point for the first day, but from the list, it looks heavy South Bay. Yet, it would be easier to shuffle beer. 

1 hour ago, SplurGn said:

This might be a possibility for me - however - are there possibilities of cutting out early - in case of scheduling conflicts?  (Is it easy to get back to a main road?)

On a similar note, what is the realistic assessment of joining up several days late? I’d love to make it but will be on a family vacation. I could possibly be able to meet up on the 27th or 28th if the group is in a reachable area then. 

1 hour ago, SplurGn said:

This might be a possibility for me - however - are there possibilities of cutting out early - in case of scheduling conflicts?  (Is it easy to get back to a main road?)

40 minutes ago, CRYA said:

On a similar note, what is the realistic assessment of joining up several days late? I’d love to make it but will be on a family vacation. I could possibly be able to meet up on the 27th or 28th if the group is in a reachable area then. 

Once the full itinerary is iron clad planned I’ll post it up. But yes there are a good number of spots where folks could join or depart. 

This trip won’t be near as remote as the EMHT or DV trips… though civilization in this case will basically be defined as having a gas pump, burgers, and asphalt - not much else.

if you can give details on the day of join/departure I can have a better idea of feasibility.

tomorrow I’ll try to figure out where we will be on the 27th-28th