2023 Annual Overland Trip - Oregon BDR #5 South

On 6/18/2023 at 12:17 AM, RobertDingli said:

Hello all.

I’ve decided to bring Disco Stu, the D2. There is just too much stuff in there to transfer to another vehicle. This means that I will have the big water tank with up to 50 litres of water and the 65 litre fridge/freezer.   And the small oven, don’t forget the oven. 

I’ll also bring a Joolca Hottap hot water system and privacy tent just like Jeff. I’ll bring two 5lb propane bottles and try to fit in a 4 gallon rotopax. I will also have a chainsaw. 

I will have plenty of D2 spares  I am not sure if there will be any other D2s there but if so, let me know (4086370426) and we should coordinate spares  

For fuel stops planning, we will need to assume 12 mpg at absolute best and a useable 22 gallons plus a 4 gallon rotopax for Disco Stu. That equates to just over 300 miles but I would be more comfortable with a -200 mile target with this load  

I am definitely going to have to get my rear airbag helper springs working.

Looking forward to seeing you all soon. 

Gryphon is asking if your son is coming?

Edited by SLOHybrid

Not to beat a dead horse, however just confirming the flag requirements for Christmas Valley dunes is a whip extending to 9' above the ground with a flag of color either red or orange and with a minimum dimension of 8" x 12".   Not a 9' flag whip.

• Safety Flag: When operating an ATV, ORM, or side-by-side on sand or in dune areas—including Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area, Sand Lake, and Christmas Valley—you must display a red or orange flag that is at least 8 x 12 inches in size. The flag must be displayed 9 feet above the ground on the ORV.

There was a question about recovery gear. I will have my full compliment including winch, bubba kinetic rope, ARB snatch strap, hydraulic high lift jack, 6T bottle jack and a single jack stand.

I also have four handheld baofengs and have the external aerial on order.  I don’t have a 12V charger but I do have a battery replacement 12V power unit that will work when all the batteries run out.

I don’t know if anyone else is bringing a D2, but I have packed an alternator, starter, most engine bay hoses, engine sensors, fuse box, engine belt, front driveshaft etc  

The more I bring, the less I will use. I hope. 

5 hours ago, RobertDingli said:

There was a question about recovery gear. I will have my full compliment including winch, bubba kinetic rope, ARB snatch strap, hydraulic high lift jack, 6T bottle jack and a single jack stand.

I also have four handheld baofengs and have the external aerial on order.  I don’t have a 12V charger but I do have a battery replacement 12V power unit that will work when all the batteries run out.

I don’t know if anyone else is bringing a D2, but I have packed an alternator, starter, most engine bay hoses, engine sensors, fuse box, engine belt, front driveshaft etc  

There's definitely several opportunities for recovery gear. Your load out should work great. Recovery boards are good too.

If you have the rechargeable Baofeng batteries, you can get their USB-A charger, that's what I use. They do have a 12V charger, but the USB one works well too.

9 hours ago, RobertDingli said:

I shall leave my bottle jacks at home : ).

"Send Lawyers, Guns and Money..."

Gotta drop out of the trip. Too much "life" in the way... This is a Family First decision, not work, thank God.

I will skulk (and sulk) from here on out.

--Paul

34 minutes ago, PaulD said:

"Send Lawyers, Guns and Money..."

Gotta drop out of the trip. Too much "life" in the way... This is a Family First decision, not work, thank God.

I will skulk (and sulk) from here on out.

--Paul

Sorry to hear that Paul, we shall camp and raise a glass in your honor!
In all seriousness, take care, and let us know if you need anything!

I’ll be bringing a large selection of hand tools including a Mikita impact wrench, plenty of recovery gear, and spares to fit my Defender (and classic range rovers). Including panhard rod bushings, ball joints, steering drop arm joint, brake line tools and parts, tire plug kit, multimeter, fuses and relays, top up fluids and probably more stuff that I can’t remember.

I’ll bring a miscellaneous collection of LR3 parts. Of note is an alternator and an AMK style compressor.

The hope is that it means neither will malfunction 😉

1 hour ago, yokrieger said:

The way you guys are talking with all the spare parts you'd think Land Rovers are unreliable.

We are just extra cautious. We won't let anything stop us!

2 hours ago, yokrieger said:

The way you guys are talking with all the spare parts you'd think Land Rovers are unreliable.

Aren't you brining 3 parking brake assemblies???

i have spare-parts box stuffed with alternator, serp belt, drop arm repair kit, jack & stand, spare brake hose, 1qt diff/TC squeeze pouch + usual extra quart of oil, trans/steering fluid and 1g of coolant. Recovery kit, and adding toilet, pop-up tent and wag bag kit.
Plus, camp kitchen stuff and fridge-food, water. Oh, let's not forget clothes and sleeping bags.
Not sure how I'll stuff everything into the truck at this point. I may need to put cargo box on the roof.

I don't do one of these trips and everything is again foreign to me. 😕 

Mostly organized for the last pack. Feeling I am going on the lighter side of things. May add some more luxury once I load the truck. Still need a trip to the grocery store to round up the last of food. 

The L322 gets an alignment tomorrow morning and hoping to find time to make a mount for the dune flag to attach to the rack. Need to get some fluids, which may lead me to buy a bucket of kitty litter so I can use the square bucket for said fluids. And I could use some for the garage and some extra for the spill kit. 

I won’t have spares, I may bring the takeoff control arms - haven’t collected many spares for this truck. I will have a repair wire harness Adaptive Suspension connection but I might be brave and try to replace both sides tomorrow if I have time after groceries and a REI wagbag run. 

Tool kit, compressor, recovery gear, pruning saw, hatchet, fuses, MOST bypass, flat kit. 

Friday, I’ll use the forklift to get the tire on the roof rack and secured. Stage to the beer to pickup Saturday- I’ll do my best to keep it cold to those that ordered. 

Sorry that @PaulD cannot make it, and I’ll miss the bar and shower setup, so dig out the solar shower from burning man (think it will strap inside the spare nicely) and I’ll have to get a bottle of  bourbon, whisky or scotch… 

other than that, I’m completely ready. 

What is the plan for firewood?

I might have missed the answer in all the posting, but I’m getting close to the shopping and it would be good to know if I should get a box.

17 minutes ago, SDS said:

What is the plan for firewood?

I might have missed the answer in all the posting, but I’m getting close to the shopping and it would be good to know if I should get a box.

We are bringing our Solo stove and a bag of chips but if we want to go big lumber is always good for an open pit