2023 Annual Overland Trip - Oregon BDR #5 South

15 minutes ago, SLOHybrid said:

you city folks buy wood in a box ha ha !   

Yep! I remember hearing abound “bundles” and “cords”, but I keep asking for them at Safeway and they say they never heard of those. I think they are just urban legends🤔

12 hours ago, Motobrewer said:

Mostly organized for the last pack. Feeling I am going on the lighter side of things. May add some more luxury once I load the truck. Still need a trip to the grocery store to round up the last of food. 

The L322 gets an alignment tomorrow morning and hoping to find time to make a mount for the dune flag to attach to the rack. Need to get some fluids, which may lead me to buy a bucket of kitty litter so I can use the square bucket for said fluids. And I could use some for the garage and some extra for the spill kit. 

I won’t have spares, I may bring the takeoff control arms - haven’t collected many spares for this truck. I will have a repair wire harness Adaptive Suspension connection but I might be brave and try to replace both sides tomorrow if I have time after groceries and a REI wagbag run. 

Tool kit, compressor, recovery gear, pruning saw, hatchet, fuses, MOST bypass, flat kit. 

Friday, I’ll use the forklift to get the tire on the roof rack and secured. Stage to the beer to pickup Saturday- I’ll do my best to keep it cold to those that ordered. 

Sorry that @PaulD cannot make it, and I’ll miss the bar and shower setup, so dig out the solar shower from burning man (think it will strap inside the spare nicely) and I’ll have to get a bottle of  bourbon, whisky or scotch… 

other than that, I’m completely ready. 

Can’t imagine that you’d need spare control arms for an L322

1 hour ago, SDS said:

What is the plan for firewood?

I might have missed the answer in all the posting, but I’m getting close to the shopping and it would be good to know if I should get a box.

I have not yet had a chance to check the latest fire restrictions (if any - I expect we are in the clear), but we should plan on bringing boxed wood or picking up locally. 

I recommend we purchase wood at a gas station in Mt. Vernon - less weight to haul and wood sourced locally (we aren't bringing potentially diseased wood across 100s of miles to a new forest)

1 minute ago, Mr.BlueSky said:

I have not yet had a chance to check the latest fire restrictions (if any - I expect we are in the clear), but we should plan on bringing boxed wood or picking up locally. 

I recommend we purchase wood at a gas station in Mt. Vernon - less weight to haul and wood sourced locally (we aren't bringing potentially diseased wood across 100s of miles to a new forest)

Sounds even better. One less thing to do before Saturday!

6 minutes ago, Mr.BlueSky said:

🙂I am sure the wood pellets we have are completely sterilized & homogenized lol

14 minutes ago, SLOHybrid said:

🙂I am sure the wood pellets we have are completely sterilized & homogenized lol

They certainly are not, but as we won't be bringing any pallets to burn, (it is strongly frowned upon and prohibited in several national forests due to leftover nails, toxins from wood preservatives, pests, etc) I guess we won't have to worry about it!

: )

6 hours ago, Motobrewer said:

“Working” today. Just got done entering waypoints into Gaia between emails and fighting fires. 

Get your beer orders in! 

Not drinking much these days but hard to imagine a trail without some suds.  12 pack of Red Lager please!

7 hours ago, Motobrewer said:

I am aiming to meet up in Auburn. I can text an eta once I am moving in the right direction. 

cell: 415-533-1298

Sounds like a plan, we will keep an eye out for you!

We found plenty of wood at camp or along the route. Burn local wood is the best way to go about it. We didn’t have any fire restrictions. At Paisley there was one but then we were out of that jurisdiction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am aiming to meet up in Auburn. I can text an eta once I am moving in the right direction. 
cell: 415-533-1298

Where in Auburn? Maybe I’ll come hang for a ceremonial send-off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to bring an extra flag in case anyone forgets or loses one. As for the dunes requirements, it states we need an out of state permit.. "A State of Oregon off-highway vehicle sticker is required to operate on all lands managed by the Bureau of Land Management in Oregon. Stickers may be purchased at All Terrain Vehicle dealerships or by calling 1 (800) 551-6949". Has anyone gotten a sticker yet? As well as are we going to stop by a dealership to get them?

24 minutes ago, drafdog said:

I'm going to bring an extra flag in case anyone forgets or loses one. As for the dunes requirements, it states we need an out of state permit.. "A State of Oregon off-highway vehicle sticker is required to operate on all lands managed by the Bureau of Land Management in Oregon. Stickers may be purchased at All Terrain Vehicle dealerships or by calling 1 (800) 551-6949". Has anyone gotten a sticker yet? As well as are we going to stop by a dealership to get them?

OHV's are motorcycles and ATV's.    This does not apply to Land Rovers

An off-highway vehicle (OHV) is a motor vehicle capable of off-highway travel during winter or summer. OHV’s include all-terrain vehicles (ATV’s), four-wheelers, threewheelers, dirt bikes, motorcycles, trail bikes, and snowmobiles. 

We are aiming to meet up with the group on Sunday at the 4:00 Chevron fuel stop in Mt.Vernon. We will text when we arrive. We should get there before everyone.

Mike’s cell              775-501-2991

Leigh Anne’s cell   775-501-2998