2023 Annual Overland Trip - Oregon BDR #5 South

Hello all.

I’ve decided to bring Disco Stu, the D2. There is just too much stuff in there to transfer to another vehicle. This means that I will have the big water tank with up to 50 litres of water and the 65 litre fridge/freezer.   And the small oven, don’t forget the oven. 

I’ll also bring a Joolca Hottap hot water system and privacy tent just like Jeff. I’ll bring two 5lb propane bottles and try to fit in a 4 gallon rotopax. I will also have a chainsaw. 

I will have plenty of D2 spares  I am not sure if there will be any other D2s there but if so, let me know (4086370426) and we should coordinate spares  

For fuel stops planning, we will need to assume 12 mpg at absolute best and a useable 22 gallons plus a 4 gallon rotopax for Disco Stu. That equates to just over 300 miles but I would be more comfortable with a -200 mile target with this load  

I am definitely going to have to get my rear airbag helper springs working.

Looking forward to seeing you all soon. 

On 6/12/2023 at 7:41 PM, Mr.BlueSky said:

Behold the rotisserie of the gods!

I'm all in for the lamb! 

Let us know what we should acquire!

What day (probably) is the lamb barbecue?  We’ll plan on grilled asparagus as a group side, not sure whether to bring from home or pick up at a market enroute.

Nate from the Dirt Lifestyle YouTube channel is about to share his YT video from his recent Oregon BDR trail trip. This may or may not cover the trails that we will be running but might be interesting to watch for those that have never ventured into this part of the world. The video premieres at 12 noon on Father’s Day 6/18

https://youtu.be/BBj7i9cqy9g

Edited by RobertDingli

1 hour ago, RobertDingli said:

Nate from the Dirt Lifestyle YouTube channel is about to share his YT video from his recent Oregon BDR trail trip. This may or may not cover the trails that we will be running but might be interesting to watch for those that have never ventured into this part of the world. The video premieres at 12 noon on Father’s Day 6/18

https://youtu.be/BBj7i9cqy9g

Excited for that video! Shame he didn't take his rover.

12 hours ago, RobertDingli said:

For fuel stops planning, we will need to assume 12 mpg at absolute best and a useable 22 gallons plus a 4 gallon rotopax for Disco Stu. That equates to just over 300 miles but I would be more comfortable with a -200 mile target with this load  

Fuel stops are already marked on the itinerary - most are under 200 miles, only a few will stretch this. If you are concerned on gas I will join the club... first time Snowflake is running with a roof-top tent and mileage was already not great...

5 hours ago, Mffoster said:

What day (probably) is the lamb barbecue?  We’ll plan on grilled asparagus as a group side, not sure whether to bring from home or pick up at a market enroute.

We are usually trying to get to camp by 5pm, so most days should work. But I'd avoid Saturday and Thursday as they are the longest trail days by mileage. Monday could be the longest by time, but will depend on road conditions.

K. Just watched the whole 1 hour, 17 minutes of the Nate Youtube vid...

Take home message: don't drive a Jeep or a Chevy. The Jeep winch bumper blowing up section is all-time. But I love his down-home honesty.

Seems like Section 5 will be much easier than the 1st 50 minutes of his account.

--Paul

21 hours ago, Mr.BlueSky said:

Fuel stops are already marked on the itinerary - most are under 200 miles, only a few will stretch this. If you are concerned on gas I will join the club... first time Snowflake is running with a roof-top tent and mileage was already not great...

We are usually trying to get to camp by 5pm, so most days should work. But I'd avoid Saturday and Thursday as they are the longest trail days by mileage. Monday could be the longest by time, but will depend on road conditions.

I will bring 10 gallons of fuel and don't expect to need much of it, so it can be used as reserve.

Miles, are you planning to camp @ Driftwood Sunday night?   we are taking the 5 to Redding & then heading NE up the 395 to Alturas for the night, then to Dale area. Do not have a HAM radio. 

We plan to carry 10 gallons of gas also.

Edited by SLOHybrid

1 minute ago, PaulD said:

If I go and bring the RRC, I am bringing capacity to carry 20 gallons. Yes, 20 extra gallons.

Will know late today what's in store for me...

--Paul

8 minutes ago, SLOHybrid said:

Miles, are you planning to camp @ Driftwood Sunday night?   we are taking the 5 to Redding & then heading NE up the 395 to Alturas for the night, then to Dale area. Do not have a HAM radio. 

I've got 10 gallons as well. might as well bring a tanker at this point

Is anyone bring a high lift jack, bottle jack, or jack stands? Curious to see what recovery gear we will have. 

I'm planning on bringing a tow strap, kinetic rope, bottle jack, and a very very very basic set of tools.

Maxtracs! Is anyone bringing those? Watching the DL video is scaring me in the good way.

Edited by drafdog
new information!

So I am gonna get my Baofeng hand-held over to SLOHybrid... But the wall-charger is toast.

Anyone have and can bring a standard charger for these guys?

--Paul

Edited by PaulD

1 hour ago, PaulD said:

So I am gonna get my Baofeng hand-held over to SLOHybrid... But the wall-charger is toast.

Anyone have and can bring a standard charger for these guys?

--Paul

I plan to bring a standard (110/120V) charger for Baofeng and a 12V one for the larger capacity battery I have. I'm happy to give the standard one to Nathan. He'll need an inverter to use it though.

7 minutes ago, SDS said:

I plan to bring a standard (110/120V) charger for Baofeng and a 12V one for the larger capacity battery I have. I'm happy to give the standard one to Nathan. He'll need an inverter to use it though.

AWESOME! Sasha   we have a Jackery to plug it into👊

14 hours ago, PaulD said:

K. Just watched the whole 1 hour, 17 minutes of the Nate Youtube vid...

Take home message: don't drive a Jeep or a Chevy. The Jeep winch bumper blowing up section is all-time. But I love his down-home honesty.

Seems like Section 5 will be much easier than the 1st 50 minutes of his account.

--Paul

Yes it should be, satellite snow reports said no snow back on June 1st. And we are starting more to the East. I don't expect too much snow if any to be found.

They also ran it in mid May. So we've gained some melt time.

39 minutes ago, drafdog said:

Is anyone bring a high lift jack, bottle jack, or jack stands? Curious to see what recovery gear we will have. 

I'm planning on bringing a tow strap, kinetic rope, bottle jack, and a very very very basic set of tools.

Maxtracs! Is anyone bringing those? Watching the DL video is scaring me in the good way.

I personally don't love the plastiplanks, but I will be brining a improved equivalent. I don't recall the brand off hand, but they are flexible and can attach to the tire so not to jettison 50ft under a snowbank - great for mud, snow, and everything in between.

POSSIBLE CHANCE OF THUNDER STORMS IN THE MTNS... perhaps I should bring chains too for the mud fest🙂

I am also bringing a full size jumper box.. 5w/20 oil & coolant/ rtv & various tool sundries.. that's about it on a L322 ... the rest is out of my hands... kinda like owning a D2 again.

Edited by SLOHybrid

Oh man, I am insanely jealous you guys are about to head out on this!!!

I just got back yesterday evening from completing the second half of the OR BDR (NE corner to south SE corner at the 395).

We did nearly 400 miles from Seneca, OR working our way SW to Hwy 140, heading S/SW through Christmas Valley to Hwy 31 where we hit the mountains again till Paisley, OR. We finished the rest of the section down to the 395 a couple days ago. And so sad it's over.

Please ask me any questions, and I'll put up a few photos. Oregon is my new overlanding mecca, and I've hardly scratched the surface.

There is zero snow along the route unless you're in the northern sections of the cascades, or in the Dismal Swamp to the SE near the California border, and even that is pretty much melted. Expect fun water crossings, some light mud, beautiful forests, etc. It is such a change of scenery to what we're used to here in the California desserts.

so no chains required PILOTGABE

Haha, correct, no chains required.

Just chatted with Miles a bit about my route notes, but expect a slow pace over chunky terrain the last several miles before Hwy 40/Gap Ranch, and a section of Christmas Valley for several miles before the dunes.

I was on LT275/65-18 KO2’s with zero issues, and not aired down. It was just slow going.

Expect some mud on the route, but nothing my 8600lb LR4 couldn’t handle. Only got stuck once in a “dry” lake with about 3” of water then 3” of mud. It was just too slick for my KO2’s at full pressure and at my heavy weight. A quick winch over to Nick’s 110 and Maxtrax got me to firm ground. I was the only one out of the 5 trucks that didn’t make it through without stopping. Got a great foot mud bath for free .
fedbadf735264b9aa2fd35f6ba14ada1.jpg
ee95dc3254c6718c63ee0c3083d25c6c.jpg
8a0e442ca5d7c76fca458b5acc66a006.jpg

I’m sending Miles my actual track so there’ll be no route surprises between Seneca and Paisley. I’m even throwing in two awesome camp spots that we loved.

Ask me any questions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, SLOHybrid said:

@SLOHybrid (and everyone) I am slowly updating the itinerary as new information comes in.

For those traveling separately to the start - please download and print the itinerary. I've added a Page 2 showing the campsites we hope to nab (in order). 

I don't expect them to be packed on a Sunday night, but worst case... here is a backup to a backup to a...

image.png

27 minutes ago, Mr.BlueSky said:

@SLOHybrid (and everyone) I am slowly updating the itinerary as new information comes in.

For those traveling separately to the start - please download and print the itinerary. I've added a Page 2 showing the campsites we hope to nab (in order). 

I don't expect them to be packed on a Sunday night, but worst case... here is a backup to a backup to a...

image.png

Oriental is a homerun of a camp ground. 12 miles from the main road. There was no one there when we went this same time last year.