First Annual Overland Event (April 10th - 16th)

For those that want to do some research on the Mojave Heritage Trail, here is *the* resource. Well, this appears to correlate with Miles' reference info in post 1.

https://mdhca.org

- Set of 4 Guides ($100) Individual Sections can be purchased separately: https://mdhca.org/publications/east-mojave-heritage-trail

- Road Guide ($19.95): https://mdhca.org/publications/mojave-road-guide

There are a couple of Trip Reports listed, Trail supplements, GPX/KML 

I am planning on picking up copies of the books. The Section Guides look like they will have more about history, fauna, etc about the route. Might be something to keep passengers entertained. 

1 hour ago, Motobrewer said:

For those that want to do some research on the Mojave Heritage Trail, here is *the* resource. Well, this appears to correlate with Miles' reference info in post 1.

https://mdhca.org

- Set of 4 Guides ($100) Individual Sections can be purchased separately: https://mdhca.org/publications/east-mojave-heritage-trail

- Road Guide ($19.95): https://mdhca.org/publications/mojave-road-guide

There are a couple of Trip Reports listed, Trail supplements, GPX/KML 

I am planning on picking up copies of the books. The Section Guides look like they will have more about history, fauna, etc about the route. Might be something to keep passengers entertained. 

The links are correct : ).

The books are a great read for a history in the area we will be traveling through and I highly recommend. As we drive the trail I plan on pointing out as much of interest points/history as I can for entertainment value.

If you are ordering the books, don't forget to print out the supplemental guides (PDFs) as they contain the required re-route information to navigate the designated wilderness areas that cut up the original published guide book route.

A short typed up summary of the EMHT and a trip log of Segment 1 scouting trip can be found here for those wanting additional background: 

I haven't had a chance yet, but when I can get time to clean-up the GPX tracks from the November trip I will post them here as there are a few changes to our route that will differ from those on the MDHCA site.

I will say, running the trail without GPX tracks and navigating only by the books and map provided a good challenge and was incredibly enjoyable on the scouting run. Of course, it was not without a few wrong turns! 

Here's a pic of the Leiser-Ray Mine site from when I was last there (January 2021). The trail to and from the site is quite easy... But there's something about this area that keeps calling me back...!

--Paul

20210106_123241.jpg

The Arco just North of Needles, 10001 Harbor Ave., Mohave Valley, AZ is currently at $3.45 for regular, 3.64 for premium and 3.90 for diesel.

--Paul

Good point. I was going to address this issue soon.

I have stayed at this dive (3) times: River Valley Inn, 1707 Needles FWY. It's pretty much just good for a bed and a shower, which is all I want before a week in the desert. Price is around $53/night. I'm sure there are others on that strip of road.

One alternative is a camping spot that I have lunched at many times -- and where Mr. Blue Sky over-nighted on their recon trip last Fall. It's about 30 miles West of the EMHT starting point, just off the 40 FWY at 34.847 X -115.04119

Photo is from their camp spot. Last time I was there, there was a fire ring and extra firewood --)

--Paul

Miles_at_Camp.jpg

Edited by PaulD
spelling error

22 hours ago, CRYA said:

Has anyone looked at where they are staying Saturday night? Going all the way to Needles Saturday or camping out somewhere along the way and pushing in on Sunday?

As Paul said the hotel is a great idea - definitely jump on that if it interests you. At this point, unsure of my travel plans prior to the El Garces departure point as my passenger is from out of state.

Hopefully he will fly into the Bay area ahead of time and then we can all convoy together (or I have to drive to Vegas... : (  )

I have a Joolca ktichen/shower setup with the ensuite.  Are there water sources like springs around where we will be camping?

Nothing like a nice hot shower on the trail...  Be happy to bring and share.

Edited by jcb

PTPS: Yes... Pre-Trip Packing Stress. If you can swing it, pretend the trip starts in two weeks. Get packed now, except food and fuel. I am famous for over-packing. As Don Happel said, "You have a fair amount of camp kit." Yeah, I am trying to whittle that down to minimize the overall volume of "stuff."

--Paul

20210402_174431.jpg

23 hours ago, jcb said:

I have a Joolca ktichen/shower setup with the ensuite.  Are there water sources like springs around where we will be camping?

Nothing like a nice hot shower on the trail...  Be happy to bring and share.

There was not any "running" water when we were out there in November. Most of the springs we will be passing by were marshy areas with brush. There were several "guzzlers" for wild game and the rare cattle tank that still holds water. 

Not sure how kosher it is to pull water from the guzzlers, but we won't be camping near those.

image.png

image.png

12 hours ago, PaulD said:

PTPS: Yes... Pre-Trip Packing Stress. If you can swing it, pretend the trip starts in two weeks. Get packed now, except food and fuel. I am famous for over-packing. As Don Happel said, "You have a fair amount of camp kit." Yeah, I am trying to whittle that down to minimize the overall volume of "stuff."

--Paul

20210402_174431.jpg

The trick is, when you get home to unload, make four piles - ”the 10 essentials”, used more than once, used one time and didn’t use. Next time you go out, leave the never used behind… scrutinize the used once pile. Think of it as a backpacking trip and you need to carry upwards of a week’s supplies. With vehicle travel, you gain space cooler, bigger stoves, chairs, better food and most importantly, beer. Keep it simple, compact and light, and you’ll have plenty of space for a few luxury items. 

When you get your gear right, you’ll be saying “but I have so much room!”  

And with groups this size, if you forget something, there’s bound to be someone who is overpacked… 

21 hours ago, Mr.BlueSky said:

There was not any "running" water when we were out there in November. Most of the springs we will be passing by were marshy areas with brush. There were several "guzzlers" for wild game and the rare cattle tank that still holds water. 

Not sure how kosher it is to pull water from the guzzlers, but we won't be camping near those.

image.png

image.png

I've tried not to shower from anything called a "guzzler" since college.  Don't ask.

I wonder if a full-body Mitchum dip is available.

Edited by jcb