First Annual Overland Event (April 10th - 16th)

Hello Land Rover People!

We are thrilled to announce that the club will be hosting the First Annual Overland Event in 2022. 

The goal for the Overland Event will be to provide a once yearly, multi-day, club sponsored overland event. Think Rovicon, but with less rocks ; ). We will aim for a relaxed, exploratory pace. 

The location will change each year so that we have a chance to explore all that the West Coast and beyond has to offer!

That said, I am still working to form a committee to help plan this year's and next, if you are interested - let me know. Help us make this a successful event for years to come!

_____

2022 Overland Event Location:

For 2022, we plan on traversing Legs 1 & 2 of the Eastern Mojave Heritage Trail in Southern California. The route will start in Needles and conclude in Ludlow covering approximately 412 miles.

The trip highlights are many including petroglyphs, old wagon roads, railroad berms, local history, mines, sprawling Joshua tree forest, and of course, incredible desert camping opportunities galore!

Dates and Itinerary:  April 10th to April 16th

Itinerary outline is attached. As always our pace will depend on a variety of factors including road conditions, speed, interest in stops, etc.

• Cost per driver is $40, $15 per Passenger
    • Members will get a discount and get first grabs at the open slots before we open this to the public.
    • The registration fees will go towards T-shirts, patches and other goodies - we aim to make this a break even event.
  • Registration will go live on February 10th.    is LIVE! --> https://forum.norcalrovers.org/store/category/8-trips-events/
  • Registration will be limited to 15 vehicles in order to maintain a manageable event.

Difficulty & Vehicle Requirements:

Stock vehicles are certainly welcome and will likely have no issues on the trail. While the trail is certainly not easy in all places, I expect we can get everyone through without major difficulty.

Things to expect:

• Pinstripes are 100% going to happen. Divorce yourself from your paint now.
  • There are many steep drops and rises in and out of washes, depending on what this year's winter brings, the roads could be fine, or a washed out disaster. Vehicles that have low profile front and rear bumpers may see scuffing/contact.

Minimum Vehicle Requirements

• Mechanically Sound Rover (as best as they are)
  • Working E-Brake/Parking Brake
  • 30" tires including full-size spare
  • Recovery Points front and rear
  • Center Differential Lock (CDL) (or other modern equivalent)

Minimum Gear Requirements:

• Enough water for each participant for multiple days
  • Extra Fuel
  • Spare parts and tools
  • Fire Extinguisher
  • First Aid kit

Recommended Vehicle Requirements and gear:

• Armor (rear bumpers, diff guards, sliders)
  • Working winch
  • Vehicle Jack and Tire patch kit
  • Shovel

Attendee Drivers:

1. Andrew Wood
  2. Bondomoto
  3. CRYA
  4. El Chapomint
  5. Gotrover
  6. jcb
  7. Mffoster
  8. motobrewer
  9. Mr. Bluesky
  10. PaulD
  11. SDS
  12. SLOHybrid
  13. Valentin
  14. yokreiger
  15. pilotgabe

22.02.07_EMHT_SEG1-2_NCLR.pdf

I am volunteering to be on the committee. Reasons: 1) I dig the desert, 2) I am more of an "overlander" (we used to just call it "camping" than a crawler, 3) I love Land-Rovers. Logistics will be challenged by the whole Spring Break issue, but since I don't have kids, not an issue for me.

Kudos to the Board for launching this concept...!

--Paul

IMG_0107.JPG

2 hours ago, CRYA said:

Woah this sounds amazing! Hoping the week works out. When do you all anticipate closing the survey and setting the dates?

If we get enough responses, I'd like to aim to close it Feb 1. Should give folks plenty of time to sign up.

1 hour ago, PaulD said:

I am volunteering to be on the committee. Reasons: 1) I dig the desert, 2) I am more of an "overlander" (we used to just call it "camping" than a crawler, 3) I love Land-Rovers. Logistics will be challenged by the whole Spring Break issue, but since I don't have kids, not an issue for me.

Kudos to the Board for launching this concept...!

--Paul

IMG_0107.JPG

Thanks Paul! Greatly appreciated :)

11 hours ago, Mffoster said:

Looks like a fun trip, Leigh Anne and I would prefer one of the first 2 weeks.  Have filled in the survey.

Same here .Being April unless it rains ill most likely miss it due to work 😭

47 minutes ago, drafdog said:

Ack! Me and Oliver would love to go but Oliver's spring break is the last week of March! 

If there is a large contingent of folks that prefer this week; I am pretty sure we can make that happen too. I don't know that I can update the voting link : /.

If the people doth prefer the week of 27th to April 2nd, let me know.

4 hours ago, pilotgabe said:

I love the idea, what differentiates this from what we did last year on the Mojave? Length of trip? Might Mojave be a bit over-used and maybe something this special be set in a place we haven't been to very often?

1. This event has been something the board has been discussing for at least two year. Arguably there are three main interest groups in the club. 

• Brand
  • Overlanding/Camping
  • Rock Crawling

image.png

For the last few years, the Rovicon has served as the big main event for club members interested in rock crawling. The goal with this event, is to further provide opportunity at a similar scale for those members not interested in the Rovicon. Likewise, someday, hopefully we can aim to have an event that focuses solely on the "brand" for those who are not interested in either camping or rocks but do love Land Rovers. There is a lot of other historical to-do I could get into, but I won't here - maybe over a beer ;) .

2. Length of organized trip 

3. Trip locations will change every year. The Eastern Mojave Heritage Trail was selected this year as we were able to pre-run and plan the event around the first two segments of the EMHT. It will traverse through more varied terrain and hit more of the Mojave than just the Mojave Road alone.  If you have suggestions / improvements / future locations - please reach out to Paul and myself (maybe we will abduct... induct? you into the planning committee? : )  

Some of my personal hopes for future trips would be - Baja, Oregon, North-Western Nevada, Alaska the list goes on etc. We will need to start talking about 2023 soon as well if we are to have an organized route.

Ok full noob question, and I never go full noob. From what I can tell this is mainly a HAM based club. Assuming I can make whichever dates are selected, are all participants expected to be HAM licensed for comms? I currently have no radio system so happy to pursue whichever system is mainly used on these adventures. Cheers, Chris

20 hours ago, CRYA said:

Ok full noob question, and I never go full noob. From what I can tell this is mainly a HAM based club. Assuming I can make whichever dates are selected, are all participants expected to be HAM licensed for comms? I currently have no radio system so happy to pursue whichever system is mainly used on these adventures. Cheers, Chris

The club is HAM based and our traditional radio frequency is 146.460 MHz.

It will not be required, though highly recommended.

The license is worthwhile, inexpensive, and lasts for 10 years. For study prep I've used hamstudy.org They have digital flashcards and you can pretty much pass the test in a week or less.

I expect you have a local amateur radio club in your area that would provide testing.

On 1/20/2022 at 9:33 PM, Elherbinator said:

Why is the HAM license worthwhile?

The take-home with HAM for off-roading is the ability to communicate over long distances... In the old days with CB you could be stuck in a creek bed somewhere and not be able to reach another CB to due the relatively weak wave propagation. With a HAM set, and the skills to program it, you can (in most cases using repeaters) reach hundreds if not thousands of miles to communicate. I took a one-day "HAM-Cram" course at a local sheriff office. With my experience in marine radio (I had a FCC license) it was a breeze.

--Paul

2 hours ago, PaulD said:

The take-home with HAM for off-roading is the ability to communicate over long distances... In the old days with CB you could be stuck in a creek bed somewhere and not be able to reach another CB to due the relatively weak wave propagation. With a HAM set, and the skills to program it, you can (in most cases using repeaters) reach hundreds if not thousands of miles to communicate. I took a one-day "HAM-Cram" course at a local sheriff office. With my experience in marine radio (I had a FCC license) it was a breeze.

--Paul

Nice. I’m working through the hamstudy.org flashcards now and hope to have a Kenwood or Baofeng in time for Shaver. It’s definitely an overwhelming amount of technical stuff to learn.

On 1/22/2022 at 11:26 AM, motobrewer said:

Schedule a test sooner than later. Appointments fill up quickly and it’s all virtual. The sample questions are the same as the test questions. 

Baofeng handhelds are a cheap way to get going. 

Yeah buddy! Hamstudy FTW. Scored 35/35 today. And within two hours had my call sign KN6SNX. Guess I need to learn how to actually use a radio now lol