First Annual Overland Event (April 10th - 16th)

12 hours ago, CRYA said:

Less than 3 weeks out and trying to prioritize projects. Do I need a few jerry cans mounted on board? With stops in towns Tuesday and Thursday, I'm leaning towards putting them in the "nice to have" category and not the "must have". Am I wrong? I have the cans, just would need to get them rack mounted. I recognize the question fully reveals my noobiness and the gear list does say to bring extra fuel so...Ok.

I highly recommend trying to find a solution if possible. For the "just in case."  Realistically though, if you aren't pulling a trailer or an absurd amount of weight you should be able to manage.

In the deep sand washes with the trailer I only averaged 7mpg, though Johann fared better in the D1. I think he was hitting around 10-11mpg. That said... I did run out of fuel about 5mi from Primm, NV on the scouting run. (non functional fuel gauge...). 

Also regarding 5 gal jerry cans, I will be trying out something new...

image.png

Thinking the smaller form factor may provide some benefits and the 1.25 gallon can is going to be used for spare coolant. I always seem to puncture or crush my spare coolant jugs somewhere around the 4th trip...

9 hours ago, Motobrewer said:

9 hours of "Are we there yet?" I'm down. My in-laws are in town so I will be trying to get on the road as early as possible. 

Great minds.... ; )

10 hours ago, Mr.BlueSky said:

Definitely interested in seeing how you ended up setting up the dual ARB. I stashed mine in the passenger rear quarter and used a left-over air suspension reservoir from a LWB.

You still have two weekends to figure it out ;). !

I removed the washer reservoir and mounted it there with some old aluminium brackets I had...is tight but made it work... I now have a on board air but may consider running an LWB tank also in the future! will need to see how well the stand alone dual compressors work with just an air hose attachment... Sean Wheeler says they work well!  looking forward to having actual air lockers in a rig again as it has been over 10 years!

10 hours ago, Mr.BlueSky said:

I highly recommend trying to find a solution if possible. For the "just in case."  Realistically though, if you aren't pulling a trailer or an absurd amount of weight you should be able to manage.

In the deep sand washes with the trailer I only averaged 7mpg, though Johann fared better in the D1. I think he was hitting around 10-11mpg. That said... I did run out of fuel about 5mi from Primm, NV on the scouting run. (non functional fuel gauge...). 

Also regarding 5 gal jerry cans, I will be trying out something new...

image.png

Thinking the smaller form factor may provide some benefits and the 1.25 gallon can is going to be used for spare coolant. I always seem to puncture or crush my spare coolant jugs somewhere around the 4th trip...

I have a few of those 2.5 gallon tanks and use them for my chainsaw with the 2 stroke mix.. they are handy

2 hours ago, PaulD said:

@Motobrewer Since my daily drinker down here is Lagunitas IPA, what do you recommend from your place? Thinking the Gold IPA...?

--Paul

Gold IPA will be a good fit. It is pretty similar to Lil Sumpin' Sumpin'. The Red IPA is maltier IPA with Simcoe and Mosaic hops. 

Our Lagers are our highlight. 

I will post an order sheet soon, but if you want a sneak peek to what  we offer:

https://www.eastbrotherbeer.com/beer

• Bo Pils: Bohemian Style Pilsner, 5.0% 
  • Red Lager: Vienna Style Lager, 4.7%
  • Oatmeal Stout, 5.4%
  • Gold IPA, 7.3%
  • Red IPA, 6.5%

I will try to save some Maibock (7.0%), which is our Spring Lager Seasonal release for the group: https://www.eastbrotherbeer.com/about-maibock

I will supply every rig one mix 6-pack. We typically sell the beer by the 4-pack.

If you want to gear up: https://www.eastbrotherbeer.com/shop

* Delivery Notes: I will try my best to keep the beer cool from SF to Needles. I'm staying at a hotel on Saturday, maybe I will empty their ice machine... I will distribute the beer at the starting point, and it should be nice and cool for afternoon happy hour. I am staying at the Day's Inn Saturday night, and I am not sure what my ETA will be; I can distribute from there too. 

28 minutes ago, Motobrewer said:

I will post an order sheet soon, but if you want a sneak peek to what  we offer:

https://www.eastbrotherbeer.com/beer

• Bo Pils: Bohemian Style Pilsner, 5.0% 
  • Red Lager: Vienna Style Lager, 4.7%
  • Oatmeal Stout, 5.4%
  • Gold IPA, 7.3%
  • Red IPA, 6.5%

I will try to save some Maibock (7.0%), which is our Spring Lager Seasonal release for the group: https://www.eastbrotherbeer.com/about-maibock

I will supply every rig one mix 6-pack. We typically sell the beer by the 4-pack.

If you want to gear up: https://www.eastbrotherbeer.com/shop

* Delivery Notes: I will try my best to keep the beer cool from SF to Needles. I'm staying at a hotel on Saturday, maybe I will empty their ice machine... I will distribute the beer at the starting point, and it should be nice and cool for afternoon happy hour. I am staying at the Day's Inn Saturday night, and I am not sure what my ETA will be; I can distribute from there too. 

Oatmeal Stout, 5.4% for me and thank you for all your effort.

East Brother Beer and Gear Order Form: https://forms.gle/hTo8xAxKzwPZWwrh8

NOTE: First time using Google Forms. Looks pretty straight-forward, but if there are issues, we will get it sorted.

- yes, I am collecting your email, but it is for order verification. And, well I can probably find your email from the forum anyway... 

- 20% Discount is included in the prices. More details on the form. 

Order Deadline is Wednesday 7-April. I will be loading the beer up on Friday and distribute Sunday morning. I will be staying at the Day's Inn Saturday night, I am unsure of my arrival time, but if it works out, I can deliver then too. 

For T-Shirts and Sweatshirts, we cover S-XXXL. There is very limited availability for S, M, XXL and XXXL. If you need these sizes, I can let you know what is available. The sweatshirts are "hipster-sized", so they are a bit snug/trim. 

Edited by Motobrewer
updated link

Folks were asking about spares for RRC and what was being brought for tools. 

Here is a link to what I will be bringing for the Classic. TBD on some of it as I am not sure the trailer is headed out this go round. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EpD6Tche09GJH1teZtKJ3igyvBDWvkeh/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=114937878491483888929&rtpof=true&sd=true

Great tools list! I really need to start putting one together for my rig. For now, my current tool kit is a hidden 6-Pack White Claw, See Miles. 

I am debating now on how much I want to "cook" vs a week of Backpacker Pantry... and if I want to upgrade to a Megamat... and my on-going internal debate of cooler vs refrigerator... The Quarterly REI Member Sale often leads to gear upgrades.

At least "most" of my gear is in bins and ready. Might not be the "right" bin, but I'll let my OCD run wild to deal with that. 

Great tools list! I really need to start putting one together for my rig. For now, my current tool kit is a hidden 6-Pack White Claw, See Miles. 
I am debating now on how much I want to "cook" vs a week of Backpacker Pantry... and if I want to upgrade to a Megamat... and my on-going internal debate of cooler vs refrigerator... The Quarterly REI Member Sale often leads to gear upgrades.
At least "most" of my gear is in bins and ready. Might not be the "right" bin, but I'll let my OCD run wild to deal with that. 

There are a lot of cheap refrigerator option from China on Amazon and other sites. Probably can find something for like 1/4 of the REI price. May not last as long, but could probably nearly pay for itself after this trip via space and ice savings. I bet you could get something to meet your needs for under $300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, Elherbinator said:

There are a lot of cheap refrigerator option from China on Amazon and other sites. Probably can find something for like 1/4 of the REI price. May not last as long, but could probably nearly pay for itself after this trip via space and ice savings. I bet you could get something to meet your needs for under $300

Thanks for the tip. Too focussed on one solution and not the original 'problem'. Found one on Amazon for $225 that is about the same size as my Plano Storage Trunk. Worth a shot...

2 hours ago, CRYA said:

Hey all. Miles was there a gpx file from your pre-run you’ll be sharing or are we good downloading the file from the EHMT website? Just curious. Two week countdown!!!!

Yes, Paul and I will be sending some information out. Hopefully by Monday! ;)

The file from the EMHT website is good too, we will only deviate from that file slightly.

Hi All,

As an Overland 2022 Committee member, and having run at least 1/2 of the proposed route, I just want to summarize a few thoughts and advice for this week-long event.

1.  Your Rig. Looks like most peeps are bringing pretty new-ish trucks, but there are always issues. Know your faults and fixes. Sometimes the ECU just needs a re-boot to get her to come alive again. Don't worry about bringing every recovery item known to man strapped to all available points on your truck. My example here is the Hi-Lift jack: Out of 12 trucks, we'll only need (and never use!) a maximum (3) Hi-Lifts. Bring suitable spares and light tools. Since our intrepid Club Prez is basically loading his entire tool chest along, we should be okay on the tool front.

2. The Drive: Expect everything from cake-walk open roads to cobbly climbs, deep sandy washes and some nasty washboard. Keep your group friend in your rear view mirror. If you don't see him or her, stop and wait. Maintain radio contact.

3. The Mission: this trip is a driving experience through some of the coolest history of the Mojave. It isn't a high-speed desert run (not this time!) . It IS a great way to squint your eyes and imagine what life was like 150 years ago when much of this area was explored and tamed (as best they could). Broken dreams are scattered all along the 422 or so miles of Segments 1 & 2 of the EMHT.

Other Bits:

A)  We will be attending to all aspects of the "Tread Lightly" principle. This, as we all pretty know, means the usual pack-in, pack-out stuff, but for vehicular travel it means staying on designated roads, camping in known sites with a fire ring (or bring your own fire pan), etc.

B) On the subject of human waste, the BLM and NPS would REALLY want us to either use your portable method or, in the words of NPS, dig yourself a "cat-hole," a minimum 8-inch deep hole for your "business." I do this, then burn the TP with a lighter and bury it. Make sure to leave a softball-to-football sized rock on top... the universal indicator that someone has left their mark at that spot. For those so inclined, you might try WAG bags (Google it)... This is the new preference due to increased desert traffic.

C) Coach Miles says: We are covering a good bit of ground so morning wake up and roll out needs to be efficient. We should all be ready to roll by 9 AM each day.

D) Be prepared, we may see temperatures up to the 100s and possible nightly lows into the 60s, pack accordingly and ensure at least 1 gal of water per person per day. I am desperately trying to concoct a swamp cooler for my Perentie. This could be interesting...!

E) Fire wood: bring as much as you can. If you have one of those slick portable propane-fired boxes, so much the better.

F) We are here to have fun! Let's enjoy this week in the spirit of adventure and camaraderie. We will always help each other -- that's why we you are a club member!

G) The .gpx files are all downloaded to your esteemed trail leaders, so all you have to do now is finish packing...!

H) We will be heading out from the historical El Garces Hotel, 950 Front St, Needles, CA 92363 on Sunday, 4/10 at 0900 in at least (3) groups: Alpha, Beta and Gamma. Miles will lead the Alpha group, I will head the Beta team, and Johann will guide the Gamma guys. We are proposing to stage each group about 15 minutes apart. Gryphon! That does NOT mean you can sleep in...!

There will be no advanced sign-ups for each group. Just fall in line and go with it. If you can't stand the group leader, then defect to another group the next day😀.

I) Our designated HAM freq's will be: Alpha = 146.420, Beta = 146.460, Gamma = 146.550, unless we encounter other HAM traffic. We should not have to use repeaters for HAM traffic. If you are not a HAM, ask your group leader for a temporary mobile unit that you can monitor only.

This run will be epic..! see ya'll soon,

--Paul

Silurian_Lake.jpg

Edited by PaulD

1 hour ago, pilotgabe said:

I’m super late to the party because we have a Baja trip April 7-25, but we’re canceling it, so if there’s a waitlist, we’d like to be on it. Lemme know!

PAID and got the last spot.

Also, I saw a couple people chatting about fridge's...I have a spare Dometic 40L fridge if anyone needs one. I am near Folsom. Lemme know.

See you guys soon!

EDIT: Booked the Best Western for Saturday night, we'll be coming up from San Diego.

Edited by pilotgabe

20 hours ago, pilotgabe said:

PAID and got the last spot.

Also, I saw a couple people chatting about fridge's...I have a spare Dometic 40L fridge if anyone needs one. I am near Folsom. Lemme know.

See you guys soon!

EDIT: Booked the Best Western for Saturday night, we'll be coming up from San Diego.

Welcome Gabe!

So far we have a solid range of vehicles!

This will be the first trip I have led where LR4s will be in majority, I am excited to see them out there doing their thang ; ).

• LR4s                                 - 5
  • LR3s                                 - 2
  • RRCs                                - 2
  • Defender 110                   - Uno
  • Discovery II                     - Uno
  • Range Rover L405          - Uno
  • Newfender                       - Uno <-- Someone correct me if this term is not Kosher.
  • Perentie                            - Uno