First Annual Overland Event (April 10th - 16th)

Forgot to mention: As part of your packing frenzy... Don't for get binoculars! Gotrover and I have really loved the additional benefits of being able to see what's in the distance -- especially at camp.

--PD

Edited by PaulD
Add

35 minutes ago, CRYA said:

Latest thoughts on caravan when/where, or is that a “next week” problem…lots to do 😬

I'll be posting something. 

I aim to sit down and do it before Monday! :)

But tomorrow will be dedicated to mowing and meetings most likely... Going to test my noise canceling headphones vs. Ford 8N 😂

Current prices at the ARCO that I stated before (4 miles from Needles start point):

Diesel
$5.02
Regular
$4.60
Midgrade
$4.73 *
Premium

$4.96

--Paul

2 minutes ago, PaulD said:
Current prices at the ARCO that I stated before (4 miles from Needles start point):

Diesel
$5.02
Regular
$4.60
Midgrade
$4.73 *
Premium

$4.96

--Paul

Cheaper than up here!!!

One week peeps...!

If you have the guide books and the supplements, make special note on the issue of Desert Tortoise. As Billy Creech states: They have the right of way. Hopefully we'll see some!

Since my Aussie rig has an ODO that is in km's -- it would be great if I can have someone in my group with an accurate ODO in miles... I have Gotrovr on the case... The other thing is that my outward visibility in the Perentie is really limited with the canvas down (I should be bringing my RRC for a lot of reasons on this trip!), so I am asking for others to keep their eyes peeled not only for way point items but interesting-looking things on the L and R of the trail. The guide book notes that there is STILL a lot of undiscovered remnants of cool former human and animal activity along the route.

--Paul

I feel like I need some group support. Is anyone else’s spouse sick of your trip planning, obsessing over gear, taking up garage space with staging? My wife told me this weekend she just needs me to go on the trip and get it over with already!! 🤪

Edited by CRYA

1 hour ago, CRYA said:

I feel like I need some group support. Is anyone else’s spouse sick of your trip planning, obsessing over gear, taking up garage space with staging? My wife told me this weekend she just needs me to go on the trip and get it over with already!! 🤪

I hear you! I have to get "spring cleaning" done by Tuesday too. A ton to do!

In other news, the baby Jerry can holder is in primer and the packing begins.

Found another benefit to being a cat owner... while I watched young Milo in a standoff against a wayward gopher I had the idea of stuffing a Tidy Cats litter bucket into a Trasharoo.

Turns out two fit perfectly.

1649018130649945750409898956376.jpg

The open bin will be for trash, the lidded one will hold a few quarts of oils etc that I'd prefer not to pack inside for this trip.

16490189988201145943422423651882.jpg

9 minutes ago, Mr.BlueSky said:

I hear you! I have to get "spring cleaning" done by Tuesday too. A ton to do!

In other news, the baby Jerry can holder is in primer and the packing begins.

Found another benefit to being a cat owner... while I watched young Milo in a standoff against a wayward gopher I had the idea of stuffing a Tidy Cats litter bucket into a Trasharoo.

Turns out two fit perfectly.

1649018130649945750409898956376.jpg

The open bin will be for trash, the lidded one will hold a few quarts of oils etc that I'd prefer not to pack inside for this trip.

16490189988201145943422423651882.jpg

I think you purr-frectly.  

I am trying to figure out packing fluids too. Guess I’ll need to befriend a cat owner for old, unused litter buckets…

in-law prep, regular weekly honey-do’s and trip prep is exhausting. 

1 hour ago, Motobrewer said:

I am trying to figure out packing fluids too. Guess I’ll need to befriend a cat owner for old, unused litter buckets…

I think I know a guy... ; )

6 hours ago, CRYA said:

Yep...! welcome to "THE Club!"

--PD

On 4/1/2022 at 9:45 PM, PaulD said:

Diesel
$5.02
Regular
$4.60
Midgrade
$4.73 *
Premium

$4.96

--Paul

SHAME  I will have already gone through 2 tanks of gas by the time we get there! lol

My rig is pretty much done except for the middle muffler that decided to blow out on the test drive this weekend.. my local shop will have it Wednesday so will be cutting it close.  Still need to pack the rig also.  heading out late AM Saturday.

Edited by SLOHybrid

8 minutes ago, Gotrovr said:

Sitting in my driveway this morning before heading to work with EMHT maps loaded on Gaia and projected on my Defender's multi function screen via Android auto thinking F...it    let's go now....

20220404_092022.jpg

Had the exact same thought after getting into the office this morning, checking work emails and realizing what the week was going to look like!🤬

1 hour ago, Gotrovr said:

Sitting in my driveway this morning before heading to work with EMHT maps loaded on Gaia and projected on my Defender's multi function screen via Android auto thinking F...it    let's go now....

20220404_092022.jpg

well isn't that special!   I have not even thought of a map or coms... will just follow you guys.. I have an internal compass as back up.

Bay Area Convoy Details - Saturday April 9th:

Alright folks here is the current plan.

• South Bay Meetup in Gilroy @ Starbucks (*audible groan*) 
    • Starbucks, 6865 Camino Arroyo, Gilroy, CA 95020
    • 7:45AM Departure to Needles
    • Several gas stations in the area.
    • Tractor Supply was my go-to, but seems they do not open until 10AM...
  • Depart Gilroy Starbucks at 7:45AM
  • Achieve Blister speed of 60MPH before hitting Pacheco Pass.
    • Feel free to begin guessing maximum speed for a 1990 Range Rover Classic up Pacheco...
    • Hint: It is faster than the grade up to Tehatchapi
  • Hit I-5 and accelerate to Maximum Plaid (~65-70mph)
  • Arrive in Bakersfield around 12:15-1:00PM if our Paso folks want to intercept.
  • Hopefully glide into Needles around 5PM (accounting for food, bio-stops, gas)

I will be monitoring 146.460 on the radio.

My Cell: 402.741.0231

Achieve Ludicrous Speed going DOWN Tehachapi Pass approx 1345 hours...!

I'll be leaving Paso Robles area around 0900... Will attempt 60 mph avg, en-route (Damn! There's that French again!).

--PD

11 hours ago, Mr.BlueSky said:

Tool Box packed...

2022-04-04 20_56_59-Photo - Google Photos.png

I always keep the most useful tool front and center.

Now to finish camping gear and food lists...

Ok! Corinne has a hair appt @ 10am (got to look perfect for a week of dust🤪) so will be leaving probably noonish? have not talked to Paul yet but will.   Also I carry a spare coolant reservoir / hoses/ serp belt (not pre 95) oil lines/ p/s res hose/ idle valve /mass air flow meter.  Am I missing anything? lol.

Edited by SLOHybrid

9 hours ago, PaulD said:

Take note: 100 lbs of red oak up on the roof rack for your fire-side enjoyment...!

--PD

Wood_Loaded.jpg

we are bring our Solo Stove & 40lbs of wood chips.

Ok so we will drive out Solo and be the broom wagon for anyone in trouble.. my cell is 805 610 7899

14 minutes ago, SLOHybrid said:

Ok! Corinne has a hair appt @ 10am (got to look perfect for a week of dust🤪) so will be leaving probably noonish? have not talked to Paul yet but will.   Also I carry a spare coolant reservoir / hoses/ serp belt (not pre 95) oil lines/ p/s res hose/ idle valve /mass air flow meter.  Am I missing anything? lol.

I used to carry a spare coolant reservoir... they have been known to go "pop".

Just recently switched to an all aluminum reservoir and now carry the new weakest link - the res cap : - )