2022 Annual Shaver Lake Snow Run

10 hours ago, Elherbinator said:

Kids are welcome as well are wives and pets. We just have one rule, they are to be seen, not heard. Just kidding 😉. This is a very family friendly event event. There should be plenty of kids running around having fun. 

Thanks buddy. My 7 yo took one look at the RTT and said he’s in for the weekend. Should be good!

On 2/13/2022 at 10:07 PM, Paul Ring said:

Looking forward to joining my first event as both a friend of drafdog and now a LR owner and NCLR member!  I'll be caravaning up with drafdog in the 100% stock 2019 RRS with expecting to not take it out on the trails, but get some advice to start a new wheels and tires project for nextime.

The stock trucks can really do amazing things! I took my bone stock 2006 RRS on 20” rim and street tires up to bowman lake and kept up with more built truck with ease. 

On 2/2/2022 at 9:03 PM, drafdog said:

We will have a convoy of 2-3 leaving early Saturday and the possibility of one leaving Friday night but we are still working on plans (leaving from San Mateo)

I wonder if it makes sense for me to try to join your morning caravan (if it is still happening) after crossing SC mountains. Would be more fun than driving alone.

Edited by SDS
clarity

2 hours ago, SDS said:

I plan to drive in on Saturday morning.

When do we move out from the camp to the trail?

I'm trying to understand how early do I need to start driving from home.

From a prior post it looks like Plan is to leave camp at 9:00 and get to staging around 9:45. 

19 hours ago, SDS said:

I wonder if it makes sense for me to try to join your morning caravan (if it is still happening) after crossing SC mountains. Would be more fun than driving alone.

sure! I'll text you the details tonight -Oliver 

2 hours ago, Mr.BlueSky said:

Hope everyone had a blast - here is the club photo album for the Shaver Run

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4BFM9Xoz7vUerUvHA

Once our nerves eased, yeah, we had a blast! Hi all. Chris here back in Napa with stories to tell my family. As everyone knows by now, this was my first trip with the club and honestly my first legitimate wheeling with the LR4. I know I thanked most of you, but for posterity, I want to really say a huge thanks to the guys and gal in the "first group". You all really went out of your way to share knowledge and were patient with me and my son as we doubted what we were capable of. Needless to say it was an eye-opening, and eye-popping day on the trail. I'm grateful. 

I know Eric should have some great vids of our 5! Should be entertaining. Gotta run. Need to go buy some armor!

Cheers

8 hours ago, PaulD said:

So was that a Jeep with a broken steering arm...?

--Paul

It was a YJ that broke its steering. Wasn’t actually the steering arm though. It had full hydro steering and the bracket for the ram had broken off. So since the tie rod was still connected to both steering arms he was able to turn by using a ratchet strap on the outside wheel’s arm. He and his friend were pretty quick at getting clear of the trail considering. Too bad the other 20 were not. Believe it or not, he actually managed to get it fixed and pass all of us as we were airing down at Dinkey Creek Rd. Not sure what they did to repair it, but he was flying down the road as he left like it was a daily driver.

Edited by Elherbinator

So I can’t really do a real write up on the trip because I only experienced the trail with my “first group” of 5 including myself. That run was fun though. We made it to the top! No carnage or anything but we did have to endure the “shitshow” on the way back down. It was fun to have Noob Chris in the group. He and his LR4 performed really well and I always enjoy seeing the new guys stress out a bit 😂.  I think he is well on his way to just being Chris and ditching the “noob” moniker.

Unfortunately we had a Toyota group between us and the rest of the rovers, so we didn’t get to much trail time with everybody else, but we did get to enjoy a raucous campfire Saturday night with the rest of the crew. It was one of the loudest I can remember. Many drinks were drank and we somehow avoided having the camp host tell us to keep it down. Already looking forward to Bowman in a couple weeks!