2022 Annual Shaver Lake Snow Run

Now that we are starting to really get into winter wheeling mode with these storms coming up, I thought it would be a good time to get us thinking about this trip. This is always a really fun trip for all levels of Rovers and is always a unique trip depending on the snow conditions. 

Where: Camp Edison Campground and running the Bald Mountain Trail

When: February 19-21

The plan will be to run the trail on Saturday. So people can come up either Friday and camp, or drive up early on Saturday and meet us near the trail. 

This trip is open to all Rovers. Vehicles will need to have recovery points in the front and rear. Besides that, any running Rover with decent tires can make the trip. If you’re thinking about making some upgrades, then a winch, beadlock wheels with mud tires, and lockers come in really handy for snow runs. 
DM me or post up any questions or concerns on this thread. More details will be posted as we get closer to the date.

Reserve your campsite here:

https://www.camplife.com/campground/Camp Edison

It’s “ok”, just make sure you have recovery points and decent tires. By decent, I mean at least All Terrains with plenty of tread on them. Like always, trail conditions will play a role in what deciding what becomes practical or not. If it dumps a bunch of fresh snow the week of the trip, that could make it pretty much not doable for the more stock vehicles. Some years, the LR3-4 types make it all the way to the top without issue. In general we get plenty of LR3-4’s coming on this trip regardless of weather. How far they get varies.

I think Eric summed it up pretty well - totally condition-dependent.   I've done the whole trail to the top in my LR3 in 45 minutes when it's dry out.  Other times I haven't even gotten to the actual trailhead in my Disco on 37s.

Far too early to make any predictions yet!

I'm planning to be there but I also have a work commitment that's roughly the same time depending on (literally) when and where the ship comes in.  I haven't missed one of these runs in years and don't want to start now but that's just the way things are these days.

Just booked site 243

I will probably bring the D2, but I have done the trip a couple of times in the L322. One of those time we made it to the end of the Bald Mountain trail and the other time we made it about 20’ off the grade road. 

Edited by RobertDingli

Another Noob question having not been on an outing with this group. Snow camping. Do y'all camp in your rigs, RTTs, trailers, ground tents? All of the above? Just curious. I come from a ground tent camping background so figure KISS. Just curious how you are all set up.

Typically we sleep in the classic. Snowflake has an actual sleeping platform (plywood test version 1.0 that has worked so well we just left it) whereas the backup Rover just has the 2nd row seats removed and we just toss the camping boxes in.

I will say the extra length in the long wheel base makes it feel like a Marriot.

Occasionally depending on the trip we'll toss the tent in for backup.

2 hours ago, CRYA said:

Another Noob question having not been on an outing with this group. Snow camping. Do y'all camp in your rigs, RTTs, trailers, ground tents? All of the above? Just curious. I come from a ground tent camping background so figure KISS. Just curious how you are all set up.

I just put bedding down in the back of my LR3 when I took that... Now that we've got a roof tent we stay in it. It makes it quite nice if you just add a little space heater since there is power at the sites. 

I just use a ground tent. If you haven’t done cold weather tent camping, I would suggest a relatively small tent if you have the option. Big tents have too much space to keep warm. RTT’s are fine for a lot of trips, but not ideal for this one since we will be heading out wheeling for the day and returning to camp. Ground tents are convenient since you can just leave everything setup when we head out for the day. 

7 hours ago, jcb said:

Booked 241 next to Robert for Friday through Monday.  Not sure if we can do all three nights.  Planning on bringing the Russian Bear hot tent!  Anyone gets too frosty come on in and warm up by the stove.

Should we coordinate on food?

6F29E22B-93AC-4A88-BB8E-60DBF35CDDBB_1_105_c.jpeg

I think I'll be couch surfing at your place!

• 3 weeks later...

Every snow run we have people airing down to psi’s that are way too high. Usually the logic is that the new psi is low relative to what they run while driving around town and that’s coupled with a fear of losing a bead. This pic demonstrates the huge advantages of airing down. Obviously the footprint will vary based on tire and vehicle weight, but the relative difference remains basically the same. With the type of deep snow we will be driving in this year, you want a large footprint in order to keep from sinking into the snow. Soft snow also mitigates any side force that will force a tire to lose a bead or hard bumps that could damage a rim, so airing down low is usually safe when driving over deep snow. Losing a bead isn’t that big of a deal anyways. Just something to keep in mind especially considering we are lucky to have plenty of snow wheeling opportunities this season. 

0EAC4E86-42EE-47BA-81C7-D36778F584F0.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, pilotgabe said:

FWIW, 12 PSI is too low for an LR3 on 18's...unless you want Don H to give you an object lesson in how to set the bead again lol. (15 psi is perfect).

Thanks for this info. I'm new to my LR4 on 265/65/18s and couldn't imagine going that low, especially with the load ratings etc.

1 minute ago, CRYA said:

Thanks for this info. I'm new to my LR4 on 265/65/18s and couldn't imagine going that low, especially with the load ratings etc.

I just edited my comment to reflect that I was on 32" KO2's. I'd be okay with 15-20 psi on the rear tires, depending how heavy you are. My rig was honestly entirely too heavy for those snow conditions last year. But I also don't have a rear locker and my transfer case was being funny.