DV in April

Darn, just saw this and my PTO plans only line up on 04/02 and actually was going to do a DV-2 run between 04/02 - 04/05 and bring my SO who wasn't with me on a solo trip in Nov. . Been wanting to go on a trip with you all. I would be the only non hefty LR being a Disco Sport but with an Eibach lift and 30/31s. Safe travels!

Still have the new Safety Devices rack available. Off truck, but can put on if someone wants to arrange something on the DV trip this weekend. Will let it go for $1000 for club members only.

6c3f8a47be77fe7a924230d4312c3c50.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DV2021: "Return to Chicken Rock!"

(Does anyone recall I wrote a piece for ROVERS magazine/catalog about our last foray on this run in April of 2017?

To quote SLOHybrid:

"Gripped, Sorted. Let's Off-Road!"

-- Paul

I bought a case of MRE's.......  wish me luck

I'm not far off this.

Working on my packing now.  I planed to have a half day so I could do my packing easily.  Instead I got home after 7pm.  Plans....why do we even bother?

Darn, just saw this and my PTO plans only line up on 04/02 and actually was going to do a DV-2 run between 04/02 - 04/05 and bring my SO who wasn't with me on a solo trip in Nov. . Been wanting to go on a trip with you all. I would be the only non hefty LR being a Disco Sport but with an Eibach lift and 30/31s. Safe travels!

We'll have more trips for you.  As they say 'watch this space'

OK, currently packing the LR3 for my morning departure.  One day I'll get this streamlined and be good at it but as it is I always take different things depending on which truck, where I'm going, how long, etc.  So it's always a PITA.

I'm expecting to meet in Lodi:

Cris

Nick K

Nick B

Johan

We'll watch for Mike as we turn onto 395

Paul and Will are coming in from the central coast and we'll meet them at Gold Point.

For those meeting in Lodi, try to be there a little early to get gas, coffee, etc so we can roll out at 8:00.

See you there!

Great trip...!

Sorry to see NickK's day go sideways on the next-to-last day. :(

Tire carnage as well. I will let each tell their story.

My personal "best of" was conquering Palmetto Mountain (not in DV, but close to our starting point,

Will upload pics later today.

Thanks Don for catalyst to get this one going this year (or Michele, ha ha).

--Paul

Bummer to hear there was misfortune, but it is an inevitable part of this hobby. Besides, in time it just makes it a more memorable trip. Hope everyone had fun and I look forward to reading Don’s novel on the trip and seeing some of the pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tire carnage for sure. On Tuesday, rolling down one of the passes near the bottom I start hearing fighter planes buzzing around. In a total brain-fart moment, I took my eyes off the road and started looking for the F-18-35-29-16-whatevers flying around and crashed into a rock I can only assume was the size of a basketball. Complete sidewall blowout on the LF. Continued on after a loan of a spare tire as mine is under the trunk and its contents. Swapped spares in the springs that night.

Then on Wednesday, on the way up to Briggs, I managed to slice the LF outer sidwall on a rock - killing a spare tire that only had the 1 days mileage on it. Don assisted with plugging the sidewall with multiple plugs, but I was sure my trip was finished.

Will stepped up and saved the trip for me. On Thursday he drove me and my demolished tires all the way into Tehachapi; where I had sourced 2 new tires to continue on. We made it back to camp and had the tires on just in time for dinner.

On the drive home, there were high winds pretty much the whole way. The LR3 decided to undress its A pillars, driver's side in Barstow and passenger's side in Livermore. It’s looking a bit haggard this morning.

Overall - one of the best trips I've ever been on. Fantastic scenery, great company. What a week.
60a232434905aee9d1d2c195c502023d.jpg

Edited by Nickbubz

K. Just uploaded 141 pics and vids... Sorry for all the glam shots of the Perentie, but that's just the way it is. Plenty of video of everyone (except Yohann) climbing up Palmetto Peak.

Cheers,

Paul

My pics other than a couple short videos of I took on the drive north toward Reno are all uploaded as well.  I'll work on the trip report hopefully tonight.

Over all a good trip.  I tried to add some challenges in addition to the usual DV type trip and I think the mix turned out pretty well.  Of course some of the routes didn't work out as once I got there they were marked on the map but either non-existent or impassable.   I also made a navigation mistake when I decided to avoid asphalt and take what looked like a fairly straight forward dirt loop toward Ballarat only to later realize I'd been zoomed out too much on my map and what I thought was an upcoming trail/road was actually just a boundary line which put us going well out of our way on a very annoying trail with small wash-outs every few hundred yards you had to come to a near stop to cross.  Then eventually we ended up doing just as much pavement anyway.  Oops.

In reality there was very little carnage.  Yes we had 4 tires cut but we had spares and though replacing tires can get expensive it's hardly "damage" or a failure of the vehicle.  Cris did break a rear shock of unknown age though earlier he'd been discussing upgrading from his OMEs to Fox anyway so I'm pretty sure that was done on purpose to justify the change.  It barely even slowed things down as we just removed it and kept moving.  The only real issue was Nick K's brake line.  We were able to bodge a repair to get him home but there should be some further investigation done to see about upgrading to longer lines to avoid the issue in the future.

Stay tuned - story at 11!