DV in April

Having just come back from Mojave Rd, Michele has informed me we are going to Death Valley in April.

I've only been once but the routes are pretty well defined.  There's a TON of area to cover and sights to see so I haven't begun to plan a route yet but am open to suggestions on that front.

Tentatively looking at the week of 4/12 as I know at least some kids have spring break that week but I also know various schools do this at different times.

Set for Week of March 29th, with Sat 3/27 and Sat 4/3 as travel days

This would be a more 'overland' trip vs more technical.  I'll be taking the LR3.  It will be more difficult than Mojave Rd as that's mostly just sand/gravel roads and is pretty much all flat but it should be well within the capabilities of any lightly mod'ed Rover.   No rock crawling but do plan on good AT or MT tires (sharp rocks are a strong possibility as are lots of washboard).  Diff guards are always a good precaution as well.  You won't need lockers or other big upgrades but those things never hurt.

DV is huge with large elevation changes.  Weather could be anything from snow to 80* - possibly in the same day.  I would expect to bring extra fuel in addition to your regular spares and parts but again, have not set a route yet.

If this is something you're interested in post up and I'll start working on a plan!

Edited by DHappel

Interested. How many days are you anticipating?

Probably 5 or 6 days + travel.  I haven't set anything yet but maybe head down Sat morning and hit the trail early Sunday.  Finish up on the next Friday or Saturday to have a travel day back home.  Basically a week with the weekends on each end.

Anybody have any thoughts RE dates?  I'm still leaning toward the week of 4/12 as I know at least Robert's son is on spring break that week.

I’m in. We should consider a night at Alabama Hills, perhaps on the last night.

There are so many possible places to include - it's going to be a challenge to come up with a good route.  I'll definitely need to do some consulting and need to see if I have any good DV books in the library. 

There are so many possible places to include - it's going to be a challenge to come up with a good route. I'll definitely need to do some consulting and need to see if I have any good DV books in the library.

You can borrow my funtreks book. I have used that to plan my past DV trips. They have enough trails to plan a good trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interested... If I don't do the Utah traverse with AZLRO which is on April 7th --> 12th or so.

I love it that Michele is the one "driving" this trip...!

--Paul

Would like to join up, had a nice trip when Leigh Anne and I went to Death Valley in November. Would much prefer a week earlier or later though. Scheduled for the first time trial of the year at Thunder Hill with the Reno SCCA on Sat April 17th.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm hoping we can do this, our spring break is from March 29- April 5...

So I'll keep following and see this evolves, looking at changing jobs at some point this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk