Hello Land Rover Rock Crawlers,

I am happy to announce that The 2nd Annual Rovicon Event is a go. The event will be held Friday to Sunday, August 14-16.

The plan is to run from Loon Lake to Buck Island on Friday. Camp at Buck Island Friday night. Run from Buck Island to Rubicon Springs on Saturday. We have reserved camping at Rubicon Springs for Saturday, and that will be included with registration. Sunday we will exit up Cadillac Hill and out through the Tahoe side of the trail. Same plan as last year.

What will be different this year is the registration and we also hope to have nearly twice the trucks. After last years success with very limited time to plan and market, we are anticipating many more people interested in attending, especially with our large feature in Alloy and Grit and a years worth of features in our social media pages. Because of the nature of the trail, we cannot have too many trucks in our groups. For this reason we are limiting the event to 30 drivers.

Members will not only get a discount, but you also get first dibs on registration. REGISTRATION IS LIVE as of tonight!!!

In addition to running the trail, your $45 gets you camping at Rubicon Springs, free beer courtesy of Benefits Experts, a Rovicon 2 shirt, and a Rovicon 2 patch. Essentially designed to be a break even for the club.

This is a hard trail. It is also a long trail. We have strict vehicle requirements stated on the registration page designed to provide a safe trip and also allow us a pace that will make the group runs enjoyable. Please DM me, Greg, or Don if you have questions regarding vehicle or driver requirements. This is not a good trail for first timers to rock crawling, but luckily there is plenty of time between now and August to get in some experience and also modify your vehicle to get Rubicon ready!

http://norcalrovers.org/forum/index.php?/store/product/81-2020-rovicon-driver/

So log in to the NCLR store and you’ll find it next to the memberships. Reach out with any questions or concerns. Should be a great trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahhh sounds fun - let me see if I can gather a few things for the requirements...

Feel free to hit me up with any specific questions about vehicle recommendations and requirements. This is definitely a trail that you want to be properly equipped. Meeting just our minimum requirements does not mean it won’t be a struggle. You can always go bigger!

Looking forward to this and hoping for redemption for some of the carnage from last year.  Would be great to see Zach and the 4BT Series 'unicorn' make the whole trail instead of having a critical failure before even getting to the bowl!  

And you know, maybe I won't end up on my side too.

Looking forward to this and hoping for redemption for some of the carnage from last year.  Would be great to see Zach and the 4BT Series 'unicorn' make the whole trail instead of having a critical failure before even getting to the bowl!  

And you know, maybe I won't end up on my side too.

Well if the dunes dont open by then ill be there. Yes lets keep trucks off their sides ;)

Think of it this way - it'll be a change of pace from wiring.

This is a good way of looking at it ;)

I've already began negotiations with the United Kingdom to relinquish a small hoarde of rover parts. They are being testy those Brits!

This is a good way of looking at it ;)

I've already began negotiations with the United Kingdom to relinquish a small hoarde of rover parts. They are being testy those Brits!

Ashcroft?  I was able to get stuff from them quickly despite the Covid fun.

Well if the dunes dont open by then ill be there. Yes lets keep trucks off their sides ;)

Of course you'll be there - who else will drag my sorry a$$ out?

Ashcroft?  I was able to get stuff from them quickly despite the Covid fun.

Not sure yet which I will go with. 

I am definitely leaning towards electrical actuated though as of this very moment in time.

I really need to get some research done!

My truck was way too far apart when I learned about this run last year so I made me promise myself I wouldn’t miss it this year. So I joined NCLR as soon as the sign ups came on. Now I just need to keep the rover alive till then and hope I don’t make a fool of myself and slow you guys down on the trail. Not gonna lie I’m pretty damn excited for this can’t wait for August now.

If anyone has room for a stowaway, please let me know. As much as I’d love to sacrifice my L322 to the trail gods, Don has forbid it. I’d still love to ride as a passenger though.

P.S. I travel light on everything but booze.

If anyone has room for a stowaway, please let me know. As much as I’d love to sacrifice my L322 to the trail gods, Don has forbid it. I’d still love to ride as a passenger though.

Nick, I am 95% certain that I’ll be there with my D2. You are welcome to ride along.

Let's see how things go this summer and maybe we'll do a late-model Rubicon run.  I'm thinking just go in to the bowl for starters; maybe push on to Spider and spend the night there then come back out.  That would give a good feel without getting into the hardest parts.

I've never seen or heard of an L322 on the Rubicon.  To even get through the gatekeeper you'll need at least 32s, rod lift or similar (2-2.5"), GOOD sliders (you'll use them extensively), steel bumpers or the willingness to damage your plastic ones, a winch, and skid plates.  I'd say that pretty much holds true for any late model Rover.

Robert would be a good one to discuss this with as he was at one time thinking his L322 might be up for the Rubicon, but after riding though decided maybe a solid axle truck would be a better option.  After taking my LR3 through I pretty much came to the same conclusion!

If you dig around here you can find the write-up I did after taking the 3 though in '16.  Here's a link to photos of that trip as well.  

https://goo.gl/photos/jWHxnecygy65o4ZV8

Edited by DHappel

I’m not sure if this is where I should ask but do I need to pay for my son as a passenger? At the time of the trip he will be a few days past 2 years old so he doesn’t take up any room and I promise he drinks very little beer. Thanks again

I’m not sure if this is where I should ask but do I need to pay for my son as a passenger? At the time of the trip he will be a few days past 2 years old so he doesn’t take up any room and I promise he drinks very little beer. Thanks again

You don’t have to pay for him. The trail might be kind of tough for such a young child tho. Each leg can include a full 6-8 hours of very rough driving. I’ve seen babies brought on wheeling events before, but just be aware of the marathon you might be in for.