You don’t have to pay for him. The trail might be kind of tough for such a young child tho. Each leg can include a full 6-8 hours of very rough driving. I’ve seen babies brought on wheeling events before, but just be aware of the marathon you might be in for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

. Oh for sure and he’s been through the rubicon a few times now and a couple runs in Moab he seems to really enjoy it, almost too much at times he will throw a fit if he doesn’t t get to sit in my lap and will try to pull my hands off the wheel so it’s only him steering. It was a bit of a learning curve when we first took him out but the better half and I got most of it figured out .......kinda. If the event is trying to be geared more towards adult only I can see if I can make arrangements to have him sit this run out.

. Oh for sure and he’s been through the rubicon a few times now and a couple runs in Moab he seems to really enjoy it, almost too much at times he will throw a fit if he doesn’t t get to sit in my lap and will try to pull my hands off the wheel so it’s only him steering. It was a bit of a learning curve when we first took him out but the better half and I got most of it figured out .......kinda. If the event is trying to be geared more towards adult only I can see if I can make arrangements to have him sit this run out.

I don’t have an issue as long as you know what you’re getting into and prepared. Sounds like you are.

I’m not sure if this is where I should ask but do I need to pay for my son as a passenger? At the time of the trip he will be a few days past 2 years old so he doesn’t take up any room and I promise he drinks very little beer. Thanks again

I agree with Eric here. The trail is quite rough and will throw around your passengers for several hours per day. Many passengers get out and walk for a large part of the trail which is not really an option for a two year old. I am not sure if you are planning to have another adult passenger that could look after the child out of the vehicle.

I went as a passenger last year and enjoyed walking alongside the vehicles taking photos and videos. The trail is difficult to walk for an adult at times but a lot of fun.

Sounds like he’s more experienced than me. How good is he at spotting?

Seriously, he might be the youngest kid there but he is very welcome.

Edited by RobertDingli

In my mind your never experienced enough I definitely learn something new new every time I go out. But thank you all, some of my best memories as a kid are wheeling with my dad in his rovers and is no doubt why I have such a sickness for them. I’m hopeing my kid gets saddled with that same sickness and will spend all his time and money on rovers that way when Hes old he’ll understand why dad never got him that new toy or trip to Disney land, all the money was spent on the rover.

In my mind your never experienced enough I definitely learn something new new every time I go out. But thank you all, some of my best memories as a kid are wheeling with my dad in his rovers and is no doubt why I have such a sickness for them. I’m hopeing my kid gets saddled with that same sickness and will spend all his time and money on rovers that way when Hes old he’ll understand why dad never got him that new toy or trip to Disney land, all the money was spent on the rover.

This is awesome!  I love having it be a family affair, and sounds like you guys know what you are doing...plenty of parents use the trail as nap runs... LOL.

Looking forward to meeting you guys out there if not sooner!

Cheers,

Signed up - The NCLR 2017 trip was memorable, and 3 years later ready to do it again. 

Nick enquired about taking a L322 through in an earlier post- not without panel damage (i have a L322 with sliders on 33" s ) I'm sure its possible, they took the FJ cruisers through before displaying them unwashed at the LA motor show launch- some how LR declined that publicity stunt for the launch of the new defender. 

edit i will NOT be taking the L322 -

Edited by RoverMack

Signed up - The NCLR 2017 trip was memorable, and 3 years later ready to do it again.

Nick enquired about taking a L322 through in an earlier post- not without panel damage (i have a L322 with sliders on 33" s ) I'm sure its possible, they took the FJ cruisers through before displaying them unwashed at the LA motor show launch- some how LR declined that publicity stunt for the launch of the new defender.

edit i will NOT be taking the L322 -

Hi. I also have an L322 and participated in Rovicon 2019 as a passenger in Colin’s RRC. I would suggest that 33†tyres, a winch and a lot of underbody protection would be required. I would also carry some spare suspension bushes and rear tow links which I have been know to destroy on trails. Lastly, you would need to have a healthy dose of don’t care when it comes to cosmetic damage.

I have sliders but not the underbody protection. I fitted 31.4†tyres (285/50R20) and get rubbing on all four corners at various times. I would really like to go to 33s and perhaps downsize the wheels to the smallest size I can fit at 19â€. A project for the future.

This year I will be taking a D2 with Nick as my passenger. I look forward to meeting you and sharing L322 ideas.

Perhaps a limited late model vehicle run to the bowl can be attempted in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I plan on making the trip.  My plan is to ship my truck from Grand Junction Co to Reno and Fly in there.  First time on this trail, I'll be bringing my thirsty 4.0.  Do you guys bring extra fuel for this trip?  3 days running most of the time seems to be pushing it for my 96 Disco.  Just thought Id check.  Also where is the last place to get fuel for meeting at the trail head?

Thanks

Jim Little

I bring extra fuel, but usually don’t NEED it. Good to have of course. If you’re coming on 50, then Fresh Pond has a Chevron just South of Ice House Rd. If you’re coming from 80 then there’s gas in Georgetown

Where will people be camping Thursday evening?

Plan is to camp at uncle toms cabin, it’s an iconic part of history to the region and has the coldest beer around!

Group camp? Get our own? Any additional details that might be relevant for early arrivers?

I'm planning to leave so cal on the 12th and take a leisurely drive up, camping somewhere on the 12th then arriving on the 13th for a nice restful afternoon/evening before the long weekend.

I think most will be staying at Uncle toms cabin Thursday night .I will be towing my rig so dropping it off there.

Uncle Tom’s Cabin

One new update for 2020 is for those who are coming out Thursday night to camp, we’ll be rallying at the famous Uncle Tom’s Cabin. It is an additional $10 paid to them upon arrival, as it’s not a requirement to make the trip we aren’t collecting at registration.

For those with trailers, Uncle Tom’s does rent trailer space for the weekend at approximately $30. If you are bringing a trailer, please reach out so we can help you plan that to minimize your time on the road between storage and trail head.

Uncle Tom’s is part of the region’s living history and everyone enjoys having a pint and pinning a dolar bill on the wall.

Here are some links about the history of the location.

“Uncle Tom’s Cabin is a small cabin-like building on the Rubicon 27 miles from Georgetown at 5,000 feet elevation. Little is known about its founder but he is believed to have been an African-American trapper and trader who settled in the area in the 1860s. He was well known and friendly to many hunters, prospectors, loggers and others in the area who would stop there as a welcoming gathering place. 60 years ago it was purchased by Irma Lawyer who, like “Tomâ€, welcomed people, especially offroaders. Today it is a small bar where the few locals gather and snow wheelers in the winter, offroaders in the summer, are welcome. Guests decorate dollar bills with names and dates and staple them to the walls and ceilings.â€

Uncle Tom's cabin response:

Hi Joseph, we are currently closed so keep an eye on the page for an update with reopening details. We would love to have you stay at the campground if we are open. There are no reservations needed as it is first come first serve. $10 per vehicle per night. Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thank you!

Edited by badfysh