There’s a lot of places to camp near the Loon Lake entrance, so if COVID doesn’t cooperate with our UTC plans then we will just improvise a spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’ll push those details out via here and email too.

Just a reminder that in order to participate in this years Rovicon, you will need to be registered through the site. We have 4 driver spots left and they will get filled. After that, we will no longer be allowing additional registrants. This is not an event to procrastinate on or expect to be able to just show up to. Not how it works. Any specific questions can be DM’d directly to me, Don, or Greg or posted on this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is towing their rig .I called Ice house resort and they are open for truck and trailer storage. I used them last year and plan to do the same.

I still haven't figured out where to camp Wednesday and Thursday... Probably gonna be last minute.

Good news is the on board welder should be here Monday!!

If there is space North Shore campground at loon lake is right next to trailhead. Last year we camped on trail right before gatekeeper.

post-448-0-40937600-1596336468_thumb.jpg

Hello fellow Rovicon 2 registrant. The time is finally upon us. The Rovicon 2 event is this Friday. I want to go over some of the trip details with you because we have had to make some slight pivots on our plans due to some COVID related issues.

First thing I want to go over is the Thursday camping situation. Many of us will be showing up on Thursday to camp and hangout. If you can swing Thursday, I would suggest it. It just makes Friday a lot easier and its always good to hang out and meet some of the other drivers before you hit the trail. We were originally going to camping at Uncle Tom’s Cabin. Due to COVID they will be closed. So we are going to be camping at the beginning of the trail just past the Loon Lake staging area. We will have a NCLR canopy up, so it will be hard to miss. If you end up showing up before anybody else, just hang out at the beginning of the trail or the staging area and wait for Rovers to show up. If you see a Land Rover, they are with us.

We will be heading out in groups of 4 or 5 with the first group heading out around 8. The first group will be lead by Don and will be a small group used to get to that nights camping area early and claim a spot. This will not be a group that any early riser will be able to join. It will be small and relatively fast moving group. We will then be sending out groups every 45 minutes to an hour. Groups will be chosen and sent out by the committee, but you can make any requests there or email me ahead of time. We will accommodate everyone as best as we can. We tend to have a lot people wanting to leave in the early groups, but unfortunately we wont be able to send everyone out early. Some will have to be in the later groups. Friday is a relatively short trail day, so it isn’t a big deal. I will be leading the last group and expect to leave around noon.

We have moved Friday nights camping location from Buck Island to the trail fork at the start of Little Sluice. The group trail leaders will know where this is, so don’t worry about understanding the location. If you show up late on Friday and miss my last group, you wont be able to run the trail and miss us. This camping location should be roughly 3 miles and 4 hours from the beginning of the trail. This area is much less occupied compared to Buck Island, so it should allow us all to camp in the same general spot.

We will basically be heading out the same way on Saturday. Groups can be mixed up, but we will be heading out at a similar time and with a similar spread. Saturday’s run will be about 4 miles and probably take 6 hours. This will be the most challenging day and end at Rubicon Springs where we have reserved camping.

Sunday will the last leg of the trip. We will be heading out the Tahoe side and our major challenge will be Cadillac Hill. It is roughly 4 miles of challenging trail and some easier trail to get out to the Tahoe side staging area. I would estimate that being about 5 hours.

Of course this is rock crawling, and in groups, so these time estimates can easily become meaningless very fast. Trail repairs and recovery will happen and will add time. We will be held up by repairs and recoveries by other people running the trail too. Just the nature of running the most famous trail in the world on the weekend. So come prepared and have your rig in the best condition you can have it. We will try and group the same vehicle models together if possible. That helps with lines and also with any repairs. We will be using HAM radios on trail. Our standard frequency is 146.460. If you don’t have a radio, either try to get a handheld on amazon or something or myself and others will have some extra handhelds people can borrow.

That pretty sums up what we have planned. In addition to the wheeling, we will be having free beer donated to us by East Brothers Beer Company (member owned). You will be getting a patch, shirt, and mask included with your registration. We will also have additional shirts, patches, and hats available for purchase.

Email me or message me on the forum if you have any questions or concerns or whatever. This should be a really fun event and we are all excited to see its growth from last year. We look forward to seeing you out there and being part of the most challenging Land Rover event running!

Also, if people can bring some wood and ice to donate to the jockey box, that would be good. Don and I only have so much room for stuff. We don’t need a ton of wood since we will all likely share a community fire, but we will need more than 2 trucks can haul. So grab a buncdle

If you can. Same with ice. Andrew was kind enough to let us use half of his dual zone fridge for ice, but we will likely need double that. Thanks guys

I'm happy to bring a bunch of firewood that I'll pick up near the area along with my solo stove - I'm guessing there aren't fire rings and bald MTN fire was too small for everyone to fit around so I'm sure we'll need more than one.

I can also bring ice but I don't have much room for it. I'll do what I can.

Edited by badfysh

See you guys on Thursday, I won’t be running the trail (late model LR) but will hang for the night. Also, if you need a runner for last minute items or whatever, my schedule is wide open and I’m available to help out. I’ll be in the Tonga Green LR3 if anyone needs anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also, if people can bring some wood and ice to donate to the jockey box, that would be good. Don and I only have so much room for stuff. We don’t need a ton of wood since we will all likely share a community fire, but we will need more than 2 trucks can haul. So grab a buncdle

If you can. Same with ice. Andrew was kind enough to let us use half of his dual zone fridge for ice, but we will likely need double that. Thanks guys

Are they going to let us have a fire at Rubicon springs?  Both eldorado and Tahoe national forest have fire restrictions in place 

Are they going to let us have a fire at Rubicon springs?  Both eldorado and Tahoe national forest have fire restrictions in place

my buddy and I ran it on July 4th weekend and when we got to the springs they gave us a speech on fire safety and as long as we had our fire permit they were ok with an open camp fire.

With RS being on private property I don't think there is any worry about fire restrictions.  The rest of the trail.....well, that's a different story.  I'm 100% sure there will be many campfires on the trail this weekend.  Will they actually be legal is another thing entirely.

I'm planning to leave the house by noon Thursday and should be to Loon by 2.  I'll roll out a bit earlier if I can.  I'm bringing our new 10x10 pop-up canopy and will try to set it up in a conspicuous area to help people find their way in, but as Eric already said basically just start rolling down the trail any you'll run into us in a couple minutes.  Since it's open area we can't reserve a space but we'll likely end up near where we were last year.  

See everybody there!

I don't know if you have ever tried this, but if you buy a SMALL amount of dry ice, smash it into smaller bits, then wrap in plastic or something to separate and place at the bottom of your cooler. It will add days to your ice life.

Pro tip: DO NOT expect that adding more will make it last longer. It will freeze everything in the cooler. Don't ask how I know that.

1c58f42b33ed0981c0cb47c2d2e6a2d3.jpg

So here is your all star crew of trail leaders for Friday. Don will taking off for a scouting run to grab a camp around 8 with one or two other folks. Mike will leading the first regular group around 9, Lutzi at 10, Luke at 11, and myself about noon. We will figure out who goes with each group up there (I already have too many requests to be in the first group so be prepared to be disappointed if that’s your hope). Note that these are departure times, so you want to be aired down and ready to roll. Friday’s trail run is relatively short (3 miles), so don’t stress about leaving early. There will be plenty of camping spots to use and plenty of day to get there.

Grabbed a bunch of SWAG today from the brewery and will be picking up the beer tomorrow on my way out.

There will be two tin tackers, one for the furthest driven Rovicon truck and the other for the best documented “hold my beer†moment...

What’s on tap?

- Bo Pils: Bohemian Pilsner, 5%

- Pre-Prohibition Lager, Heritage CA malt, 5.2%

- Red IPA: malt forward IPA, 6.5%

For the Thursday night crowd, something from my archive of releases might show up ;).

I’ll have some bags of ice and a bundle of firewood. Traveling light since my hall pass is only good for a night.

Looking forward to seeing everyone. Look for the “LAGER†LR4.

Grabbed a bunch of SWAG today from the brewery and will be picking up the beer tomorrow on my way out.

There will be two tin tackers, one for the furthest driven Rovicon truck and the other for the best documented “hold my beer” moment...

What’s on tap?

- Bo Pils: Bohemian Pilsner, 5%

- Pre-Prohibition Lager, Heritage CA malt, 5.2%

- Red IPA: malt forward IPA, 6.5%

For the Thursday night crowd, something from my archive of releases might show up ;).

I’ll have some bags of ice and a bundle of firewood. Traveling light since my hall pass is only good for a night.

Looking forward to seeing everyone. Look for the “LAGER” LR4.

I'm stoked!!!

Any DIPA or hazy you can sneak in??

I'm packed other than putting some drinks in the fridge.  Just have to send out a few last emails then I'm hitting the road about 10.  I'm planning to hit Loon around 12:30 - will see you guys there!

Hi all, I grouped up with Don but he had a cooling fan issue and he needs to run back to town.

I have the pop-up and will be setting up in the circled area in the attached photo. If it’s not available, I’ll try and be visible.

I have a sat phone up so feel free to call/message me if needed. 1.321.210.7660

See you up there.

Gabriel1dfa953f763fdcef46fb2be250a94b93.jpg

Rovicon 2 was a success! All trucks made it through. We had more trucks, less breaks, more beer, better camping, less crowds, and warmer water this year! We will get a photo album and a decent write up going soon. Thanks for coming out everybody. We really could not have hoped for a better event this year. Already looking forward to next year.

6f75d5726e10083dfc404dae652bda84.jpg