NCLR 11th Annual Event : Roverfest UK 2017

This is going to be cool seeing both of you do it!... I recommend either really wide wheels or spacers to push you off the walls and Colin will need a new roof by the time he is done. :P   I will join you next year! that will almost be 10 years then since I last did it!

I remember that day...I was afraid I would wake up and find all the LWB parts moved to another truck :)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I make no promises as to getting through in one piece or on 4 wheels.  But it should at least supply comic relief if it goes wrong.  :)

That's why Michele is driving the LR3 down separately.  If it comes to it, there's a U-haul place in Hollister, right?   :P

Hi Don,

Are the runs at 8:30am and 10:30am the same?  How do I sign up for the moderate run? 

Do I need to buy tickets for the spectator run in the afternoon? :)  

I haven't seen any tickets for sale on the spectator run, but it wouldn't surprise me if Don is taking donations to pay for the parts he's going to need to replace after climbing that first big canted stair-step.   :lol:

...but it will be fun to watch! 

Hi Don,

Are the runs at 8:30am and 10:30am the same?  How do I sign up for the moderate run? 

Do I need to buy tickets for the spectator run in the afternoon? :)  

Yes the runs will be the same.  We'll have both moderate and challenging departing at each time.  Sign-up will be upon arrival when you check in.  No tickets needed, just come on up and watch the fun.  Keep in mind I've never actually run Tank Traps before and the last time Colin did he ended up on his side.

Hello guys,

New to the group, been a Land Rover enthusiast for more than a decade. I will be participating my first member event at the member annual appreciation event. I have a stock 1999 Land Rover Disco 2 with General Grabber AT2 tires. Will I be able to drive through the easiest/ beginner trails? Please advise, Thank you =)

Arthur

Yes Arthur. You will be able to drive around a lot. Find another Disco and follow along. And stop before doing anumy obstacle. We want you to have a great time and go as far as you want to go....and we can do that from stock to locked.

Hello guys,

New to the group, been a Land Rover enthusiast for more than a decade. I will be participating my first member event at the member annual appreciation event. I have a stock 1999 Land Rover Disco 2 with General Grabber AT2 tires. Will I be able to drive through the easiest/ beginner trails? Please advise, Thank you =)

Arthur

Absolutely.  Our moderate run is geared toward exactly that sort of rig.  Nothing too crazy but some opportunities to stretch it out a bit.  

We will be using HAM to communicate on the trail and will have loaner radios on hand in case you don't have your own (yet!).  And we'll have spotters available to help you through any tricky bits you'd like an extra pair of eyeballs on.  

I should also mention that these are the organized runs, but the whole park is available to us and often individuals or small groups go out on their own to play at the obstacle course or just explore around.  You'll have plenty of opportunities to get your Disco dirty.  

Hello guys,

Arthur

Absolutely! I'm leading the moderate runs. We've planned them to have rock ledges no larger than 48" tall, side angles no more than 52 degrees, and wading no deeper than half way up the windshield. You should not anticipate more than 8-10 new dents.

(Kidding)

I'll be in a mostly stock Range Rover Sport. Your D2 will have no trouble following along. Feel free to find me if you have questions about the route before we start.

Chad

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yes the runs will be the same.  We'll have both moderate and challenging departing at each time.  Sign-up will be upon arrival when you check in.  No tickets needed, just come on up and watch the fun.  Keep in mind I've never actually run Tank Traps before and the last time Colin did he ended up on his side.

Colin deliberately put it on it's side..... you will not have a problem in your beast!  May catch a few rocks in the cockpit though and your rollcage will need re-painting.

I want to see you do it without being winched :P

well if you're doing tank trap, make sure to bring a sharpie!

Planning to write tourniquet times on people's foreheads??

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

U running the fancy d1 through tank traps or your sacrafical d1?

I really like the idea of taking the sacrificial one through it, Camel Trophy style, just to see how far it gets when you don't care about body damage or breaking things.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Just got back from mapping the 'spicy' run for the Annual.  

You're gonna want a locker.   :P

Actually, it's not too bad but will certainly offer some challenges.  I've tried to include an area most haven't been to just to keep in interesting as well.  I trimmed the worst of the overhanging branches and never knocked my antenna off so we're not too bad on the tree front but do expect a few branches to find you.  I wouldn't recommend a RTT unless you go in knowing the risks.  Not a lot of need for armor (no real rock-crawling on this loop) but some tricky climbs and descents.  You will want at least diff guards as there are some deep ruts that will likely drag some of you.  Figure at least a 32" tire would be good and as noted at least one locker or traction aid.  If you aren't locked you'll have a hard time on at least one of the climbs or you'll need to take a by-pass.  Do have your recovery gear ready and available in case you can't make a climb - that way we can winch or strap you and keep moving so we don't have to bail mid-run.

As noted we'll have two runs, mild and spicy, each going out twice with a morning departure at 8:30 and a late departure at 10:30.  Sign-ups will be at check-in when you arrive.  We do need to keep the number of trucks on each run in check, so we'll be trying to even out the participation between the early and late runs.  Too many rigs at one time will just bog things down, so if your chosen time looks full consider changing to the other.

Archived