Has anyone been up to the area lately? Curious was the air quality is like with the huge fire by Lassen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty decent right now based on what I can see and the air readings...as we know it's bound to change.

Did see they arrested a guy who they believe was starting these things... hadn't realized so many of them were arsonist.

Head to the staging area at the Loon Lake Rubicon Trailhead.

a3d592a63c96faddd4891604db16b0e6.jpg

From there you can contact someone to come pick you up or walk for five to ten minutes to the Thursday night campsite.

13c20abb6acc70ee275d48d2fb9fb178.jpg

Follow the tyre tracks along the path shown.

I plan to rock up on Friday morning. See y’all there.

Edited by RobertDingli

Any other passengers driving to meet their driver? Where are you leaving your vehicle? How are you getting back to it... etc...

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Not sure who you are riding with but definitely coordinate that as it's a couple hours drive from the exit to the start.

I'm close to wetting myself with excitement, Julia and I took Thursday off so the plan is to head up Thursday mid day and hang out at loon but if we're honest I'll be spending Thursday frantically fixing things trying to leave and get up there Thursday evening. Either way we're exited and can't wait to see everyone.

Should I be bringing extra fuel on the trail?

I usually will fill up at the Fresh Pond Chevron and I won’t need extra fuel under normal circumstances, but I also usually will bring a few gallons just in case. Doesn’t take much to create a situation that requires extra gas. I have a 4 gallon rotopax that fits in the roof. I’ll probably fill that and then unload it into the car Friday night to transfer weight down.

IMPORTANT INFO:

There is a wildfire that will be affecting our event this weekend. The Caldor Fire is currently causing evacuations in the Polluck Pines area and will likely be closing Highway 50 to traffic. Things are fluid and our plans will have to match. We have a few backup plans, but we are hopeful that we will be able to have the trail run that we originally planned for. We will update the plans and on this thread as things develop. For now I am going to lay out our plans A - C.

Plan A: Meet and camp per normal at the start of the trail by the Loon Lake staging area. This is the original plan except that we do expect highway 50 to be closed. So you will want to get here via Georgetown and Wentworth Springs Rd.

870f3d114440d88d140eb7d10d4f1615.jpg

Plan B: This plan will be enacted if Loon Lake gets closed. We will still be entering from the west side of the trail, but we will be entering through the Wentworth Springs Trail.

863e3da402ed9f73495f1d2d5c5e9662.jpg

This would be enter the Rubicon Trail at waypoint 05 on the map picture. We would be meeting and camping at Wentworth Springs CG which is along the trail.

Plan C: This plan will be enacted if they close El Dorado Forest. We will enter the trail from the Tahoe Side. There are a few lakes near the Tahoe side staging area to camp. We would be basically running it backwards and then turning around and exiting again through the Tahoe side. bbf306bb2f2a937209fdd17a9d1d41fc.jpg

We will be updating this post when we get updated news. The final “Plan” we end up using will be updated with more detailed instruction. Please DM myself or Don or Greg with any questions or comments. Please refrain from unnecessary commentary on this thread for now in order to keep the pertinent info easier to find. This situation sucks, but we are on top of it and will do our best to make the event another successful one.

Isn't Plan C still within the El Dorado NF?

The eastern end of the trail is in the Tahoe NF.  We had to dig pretty deep on the maps to find exactly where the trail crosses between the two forest areas and it looks like you're in Tahoe NF (although skirting along the boarder) all the way down Cadillac but cross the boarder between it and Rubicon Springs.  But at this point we're going to have to move off of the Rubicon all together.

OK - Plan D.  

We've had to abandon the Rubicon as it's officially closed for the time being.  Instead we're going to Slick Rock trail.  It's one of the club 'standards'; always fun and gives some of the same terrain and vibe of the Rubicon.  

Thursday afternoon I'll be at the Utica Reservoir end of Slick Rock (south end) and will camp there to meet people as they come in.  There's plenty of room for trailers and tow vehicles here and it's easy access even for a car.

Friday morning we'll break into groups and run the trail north to the Silver Creek area and set up camp.  We'll have people arriving throughout the morning and into the afternoon, so we'll have people at the Utica entrance until early afternoon at least. 

For those that want to play, there are several fun obstacles along the way to challenge even buggies, or you can take the easier lines and relax.  It will be a fairly short trail day much like our original plan.

Saturday morning we head north up the Gauntlet and out the Lake Alpine exit, then we'll head east on highway 4 to the Deer Valley trailhead.  We'll wheel north here but the top half of the trail is within the closed area so we'll do this as an out and back, heading back to our previous camp on Slick Rock trail at Silver Creek.  This mean you don't have to break down camp for Saturday.

Sunday we head back south down Slick Rock to the Utica entrance so those with trailers can load up to head home.  Optionally, those who want more challenge can exit north through the Gauntlet to highway 4.

Looking at air quality maps it currently shows decent.  One step below "good".  However that is highly variable depending on which way the wind blows.

The Utica entrance to Slick Rock trail is approx 2 hrs south of South Lake Tahoe.  Take Spicer Reservoir Rd/forest rt 7N01 south off of Highway 4.  

https://goo.gl/maps/cb2EwSSY6nfqhjCJ6

Utica%20map-L.jpg

slick%20rock-L.png

Edited by DHappel

Off Spicer road, left on gravel road the left at the fork to utica. Don't go right as thst goes to union reservoir. Pass the campgrounds at utica and just keep following the road to the end

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Back home - no major carnage to report.  Slick Rock was pretty chewed up at the gauntlet and the stairs so made it pretty fun.  Good turnout given how things developed; I think around 20 trucks.  I'll work on a full write up later - right now it's time to relax before unpacking things and getting back to 'normal'.