What Did You Do With Your Rover Today?

AdvRovr

What did I do? I finally got it off for a proper repair, instead of the curbside one. Not bad that in 11 years of ownership it has been in to a shop twice. Cant wait for its return. Love my Rover.

I finished rebuilding the rear end and adding in the upgraded summers Bros Axels. It's finally back on all four tires!!

So tomorrow I'll add fluids to the diffs that are now running gbr 4.11 gears with ARB lockers.

The original gears are pretty mangled too, definitely time for a change!

After that I'll install the newly upgraded radiator and coolant hoses. Then it will be time to start it up it up for the first time in over a month...

I'm really excited to get it going!

c17fd95ef8e2b590d4560784c0eba9bf.jpg141d2fcd2abba8c3b88f171ed978cecb.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Spent today futzing around with the D1.

Installed a Rugged Radios intercom kit that's tied into the radio so I can hopefully communicate while at highway speeds.  Seems to work, but I've only tried it in the garage at this point, not actually truck-to-truck or even driver-passenger.

Re-wired the fridge and radio to try to avoid some annoying issues.  They each had a direct power line to a fuse block about 8" from the battery, but about half the time when I would key the radio the fridge would start beeping at me.  No error light, just beeping until I cycled power to it.  I now have the radio going directly to the battery so they no longer go to the same fuse block.  I'm guessing the radio caused just enough spike to freak out the fridge's monitors so hopefully this will get me around that.

I also picked up a spare 1/4 wave antenna and secured it in the back of the truck for 'just in case'.  At $20, why not?

And I installed a ScanGuage OBD2 monitor so I can read temps and codes in real-time.  I may have to move this though as I just bump it when shifting into low range.

I even cleaned the truck up some- vacuumed out the interior and pressure washed the exterior.  Plus hosed down the rear interior a bit.  

Greg, is this coming to WRL?

Haven't gotten that far yet, I'd like to be comfortable with the not over heating. Also it doesn't hold the most stuff, so likely depending on how many days I can make and what the family is most comfortable in. The D1 is on its way to being a trail specific rig with the LR4 doing the overlanding trips.

I really want to get it out for some day trips/shorter runs to get some more practice in. Even a run out prairie city would be great just to test things.

I also need a trip to your shop so we can the compressor up. That's one part I'd like some help with.

• 3 weeks later...

So it's all back together and drives well. Had some challenges with the newly rebuilt radiator but seems to be doing well now. I haven't been able to really test it though as I'm having electrical gremlin issues.

When I first started it up my brake lights stayed on. I then took for a test drive and came back and parked it. As I went to remove the key it just stayed on... ended up realizing lights were on. Reinserted the key and shut lights off and then the key shut off the car.

This happened a couple more times.

I then decided to look at the lights. Pulled them out and started it up, then reconnected them watching the lights. Brake lights stayed off at first, but then came on when I turned the lights on.

So that's where I left it, need to now figure out what to do next. Thinking about looking into brake light switch again.

Really need to work with someone else and a multimeter tool and start testing connections.

Once I'm legal with lights I can revisit the lockers and get the air compressor and switches wired up.

I did take a minute to do the tire carrier flip which seems to work out well and should be enough space for when I ever go to a 35" tire.d97dfdc7c85abb1b469a6631ab965a88.jpga508fc9989946f27d29b8892e5939ef7.jpg

I did take a minute to do the tire carrier flip which seems to work out well and should be enough space for when I ever go to a 35" tire.

Bummer on the gremlins... seems about right though, since in all of the time I've owned RedRover I think there has always been at least one electrical thing 'going on' at any time.

Sometimes they just appear and disappear just as fast.  Spent time and $$$ to clean all of the grounding points which helped stop some of the odd 'cross-traffic' electrical things that would happen (power mirror would drive the door locks, etc.) but it's still not perfect.

The tire carrier flip must be a well-known trick since you called it "The Tire Carrier Flip"...   :lol:

Bummer on the gremlins... seems about right though, since in all of the time I've owned RedRover I think there has always been at least one electrical thing 'going on' at any time.

Sometimes they just appear and disappear just as fast. Spent time and $$$ to clean all of the grounding points which helped stop some of the odd 'cross-traffic' electrical things that would happen (power mirror would drive the door locks, etc.) but it's still not perfect.

The tire carrier flip must be a well-known trick since you called it "The Tire Carrier Flip"...

Had heard of the flip, first attempt failed as it actually reduced clearance.

Then checked some additional pics and realized you slide it up after flipping. Requires removing rear wiper but seems like there is very little use now for it given visibility is almost gone. :-)

The grounds are probably worth exploring... I'll see if I can locate those and do the same.

• 3 weeks later...

The LR3 is a no go..... Sold it to someone else locally.  :angry:   Said they didn't get my offer until after they sold it.....man if I had a dollar for every time I've heard a story like that.

Back on the hunt. I should probably just wait until I get to Redding and source one locally there or Sactown, etc....

J

The LR3 is a no go..... Sold it to someone else locally. :angry: Said they didn't get my offer until after they sold it.....man if I had a dollar for every time I've heard a story like that.

Back on the hunt. I should probably just wait until I get to Redding and source one locally there or Sactown, etc....

J

Coach Mac has one he knows of for sale...80k miles for around 6k.

I'd like info on this please. Do you have a contact number?

Jason

EDIT.... FOUND HIM HERE AND SENT A PM.

THX,

J

I hit him up, he's coach Mac, but think others might have jumped on it already.

Did have some electrical issues so wasn't a perfect one.

I hit him up, he's coach Mac, but think others might have jumped on it already.

Did have some electrical issues so wasn't a perfect one.

Copy that!  I'll just wait until I get there. I got the guys name and number and left a message. No return call. 

I have a ton to do still, but always on the hunt.

J

Copy that! I'll just wait until I get there. I got the guys name and number and left a message. No return call.

I have a ton to do still, but always on the hunt.

J

Have a lr4 and a D1, so could work something out too if you needed to borrow for a period of time for measurements.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Truck was an oven last weekend... the factory 1/16" insulation (soft foam + vinyl on burlap to make said foam look better) didn't do much... anything metal was 135F, and any plastic pieces were 127F. So, this week, I decided to insulate the truck. Started off with POR15 over surface rust inside the battery box... then pulled the center console, then seats, carpet (which were just falling apart). Then, layered on the 3/16" foil covered closed cell foam. Not quite done yet...still have to cover the transmission tunnel cover and firewall. I also found that 2 small heat shields above the cats are gone! I'll need to make something to keep it from roasting the bulk head. 

Based on my unscientific testing (best kind, by the way) - I put a 12"x12" on gf's engine cover...came back with an IR temp gun 20min later - there was about 20F difference between top of foam (108) and bottom of foam/engine cover (131F). 

post-999-0-79417000-1505108217_thumb.jpg

post-999-0-07547700-1505108261_thumb.jpg

post-999-0-34973400-1505108278_thumb.jpg

Truck was an oven last weekend... the factory 1/16" insulation (soft foam + vinyl on burlap to make said foam look better) didn't do much... anything metal was 135F, and any plastic pieces were 127F. So, this week, I decided to insulate the truck. Started off with POR15 over surface rust inside the battery box... then pulled the center console, then seats, carpet (which were just falling apart). Then, layered on the 3/16" foil covered closed cell foam. Not quite done yet...still have to cover the transmission tunnel cover and firewall. I also found that 2 small heat shields above the cats are gone! I'll need to make something to keep it from roasting the bulk head. 

Based on my unscientific testing (best kind, by the way) - I put a 12"x12" on gf's engine cover...came back with an IR temp gun 20min later - there was about 20F difference between top of foam (108) and bottom of foam/engine cover (131F). 

I've always used Thermozite under vinyl and carpet I've installed with great results in sound and temperature reduction. It come single or dual foil sided. It's about 3/8" thick and is jute based.

Curious on the sound deadening quality if any of the thinner CCF material you used.

J

Installed this a freshly rebuilt 4.6 & low mile Trans & rebuilt early LT230 into my beater 94 LWB Offroader.

prize for anyone notices anything wrong with the engine :P

Well for starters it appears to be jumping right out of the truck.