2023 Annual Shaver Lake Snow Run

Sounds like we're late to the show but Julia and I would like to join. We will happily split camp costs if theres room. I'm not sure if we will be in the lr3 or the 88 I suppose it depends ds how miserable we want to be on the drive.

Michele and I will be there, though we are staying at a cabin in town.  Will bring the D1 as I expect the snow to be deep this year.  Hopefully I'll have the new tires for maximum floaty-ness.  I was told if we take the open truck we have to have a cabin, so that was the trade-off.  Planning to head up on Friday around noon-ish.  

It looks like my daughter, Charlotte, will also come up. She will drive her ‘91 RRC and share our site. She wants to try running the trail but we will have to see what the conditions are like. This would be her first snow trail run.

7 hours ago, ColinB said:

No. Its on loan right now.   Army truck is coming 

Ok, but I don’t see the Army Truck being able to run the actual trail. It will be way too big for us to recover and the trail will be too narrow. You’d probably have to cut new tire tracks the whole way. Getting that stuck could clog the trail in a way that would be irresponsible for the club.

9 hours ago, Elherbinator said:

Forecasts this far out aren’t the most accurate, but it’s promising to see some snow potential. Btw, I use Huntington Lake instead of Shaver for weather on Bald Mountain because it’s closer in elevation and in the same general area

Snowcamping!

47 minutes ago, Renorover said:

Kind of a dumb navadainian question but I assume we're allowed to have a camp fire but do we need a permit? 

Actually, an excellent question, and now is the time to do it!

Super easy, you can get one good for the year here. 

https://www.readyforwildfire.org/permits/campfire-permit/

54 minutes ago, Renorover said:

Kind of a dumb navadainian question but I assume we're allowed to have a camp fire but do we need a permit? 

We don’t need a permit since we will be inside the campgrounds. But as Miles directed, might as well grab one for the year online 

I was just north of Shaver Lake last weekend and we got 16" of snow in 1 day, with 5" of snow on the car in only 6 hours. If anyone remembers the 2 Tacoma trucks from last year, we had a trip 2 weeks ago but a rat chewed through some wires making me miss the trip. They got about as far as we did in 2019, and with the amount of new snow, its looking like Stuckfest 2023! One of my floormates will be going up to China Peak this weekend, so hopefully I'll have better update soon!

- Oliver 

IMG_7554.jpgPhoto from Badger Pass last sunday at 7,200ft.

Edited by drafdog
added photo

26 minutes ago, CRYA said:

Hey all, I thought I'd make this trip but Mrs. won't camp sub-freezing. I have a site for Saturday and Sunday so if anyone wants it and doesn't mind covering the cost, LMK and we can trade info.

Sorry to see you can't make it I'm sure someone might be interested in it. Also there are plugins at all the campsites so you could bring a little extra heater and be nice and toasty in a tent. 

2 hours ago, lutz said:

Sorry to see you can't make it I'm sure someone might be interested in it. Also there are plugins at all the campsites so you could bring a little extra heater and be nice and toasty in a tent. 

Thanks Lutz. I'd love it make it work, and props to Miles for bringing his little. Potential for snow and sub-freezing nights, wife/youngins don't stand a chance.

4 hours ago, CRYA said:

Thanks Lutz. I'd love it make it work, and props to Miles for bringing his little. Potential for snow and sub-freezing nights, wife/youngins don't stand a chance.

Sad we will miss you, next time though!

It shouldn't be too bad, but this year I have one extra human to produce heat! ; )

We will be bringing an electric space heater just in case, though in past years we hadn't needed it.

11 hours ago, CRYA said:

Hey all, I thought I'd make this trip but Mrs. won't camp sub-freezing. I have a site for Saturday and Sunday so if anyone wants it and doesn't mind covering the cost, LMK and we can trade info.

We were gonna shack up with Eric but to keep the nclr camp block we would be more then happy to pay for and use your spot. I'm a bit of a sissy so we are gonna trailer our 88 so having an extra spot to leave the tow truck might be handy.