2023 Annual Shaver Lake Snow Run

It’s time to break out your winter camping and wheeling gear. The Annual Shaver Lake Snow Run is coming up in a month. This is one of my favorite trips of the year. It’s always fun and always unique. This year should be a good one. We will have plenty of snow even if it doesn’t snow an inch from today until the trip. Maybe we will get lucky and have some fresh stuff to play with. Either way, it’s trip I suggest you don’t miss.

The trip will take place over Presidents Day weekend (feb 18-20). We will be running the trail Sunday which will be the Bald Mountain Trail we do at this every year and we also have done at the last couple Annuals in October. Most people will be coming up Saturday and camping Saturday and Sunday nights, then heading home Monday. Day trippers are welcome as well. You will just have to meet us Sunday morning at either Camp Edison or near the trail on Rock Creek Rd. The plan will be to leave camp at 9am Sunday, so plan accordingly. 

We will be camping at Camp Edison on highway 168 just past the town of Shaver Lake. Campers will need to reserve their own spot. Most spots can accommodate a couple vehicles, so sharing is encouraged. Camp Edison is about as comfortable as you can get for winter camping. They have power hookups incase you want to bring a space heater or an electric blanket. They have heated bathrooms as well and even cable tv hookups for the rvs. It’s as close to glamping as we get for this club, so if you have a spouse or child who is nervous about camping in the snow, this will be as user friendly as it will get, so break them in on this trip.

The trail itself varies greatly year to year. Some years the snow is so deep that we only get a few hundred yards all day. Some years there’s barely any and we just cruise up to the top of the mountain in a few hours. Most years it’s somewhere in between. This is trip is open to all vehicles, but the deeper the snow gets the tougher it is for the closer to stock vehicles. Keep your vehicle light, your tires aired down, and you will give yourself and your vehicle the best chance of success.

Here are some links of some videos montages of previous Annual Shaver Lake Snow Runs to give you a taste of what to expect. Please let me know what you think about the dates and any other questions or concerns you might have.

Edited by Elherbinator

I'm in! just had a failed attempt there to go there today (P0118 and U2023 practically disabling the car), with the Toyota guys. They report good conditions similar to last years, with a few LRs and 4Runners there today. I do have a group of friends who will likely join, and as long as the car runs we will be there.

Edited by drafdog

I have reserved spot #224 at Camp Edison. I suggest everyone reserve theirs as soon as possible as there are only 9 additional spots left. If you’re coming, reserve your spot and then we can figure out sharing if needed, but it would be best if we could grab up all the remaining vacant spots now.

Edited by Elherbinator

I'm grabbing 247, hopefully my dad and sisters can join on the campsite, but I will be coming up with an LR3. Trying to convince one of my coworkers with an LR3 to join us.

Just grab space 250. so far have Don and Michelle as maybe so can squeeze one more truck in my spot Colin. i also mad reservation for friday if anyone want to come up i should be there after work

53 minutes ago, lutz said:

Just grab space 250. so far have Don and Michelle as maybe so can squeeze one more truck in my spot Colin. i also mad reservation for friday if anyone want to come up i should be there after work

There is space in 217 for two if not three more trucks as well.

12 hours ago, drafdog said:

I'm grabbing 247, hopefully my dad and sisters can join on the campsite, but I will be coming up with an LR3. Trying to convince one of my coworkers with an LR3 to join us.

We will be there!

@drafdog Check your receipt, I just booked ours over the phone and they assigned us 247. (hadn't caught up on the forum yet.)

I would suggest people reserve their own spots while they are available since they are very limited at this point. Probably only a handful left. Once they gone, then we can start sharing and splitting fees. It would be unfortunate to not have enough space for everyone if they sell out.

Anybody who hasn’t gotten a spot, but wants to come and camp, post up your request for a shared spot in this thread. Should have several spaces that people can fit you in. My spot was $80 for 2 nights, I imagine most were, so expect the split to be $40 at 2 vehicles per spot. 

57 minutes ago, Mffoster said:

Wow the sites went fast!  Didn’t check the calendar soon enough.  Would like to split a site with someone.  Will just have my 110 that I’ll sleep in.

I'll be happy to share the site (217).