DV in April

I have been following a great Tacoma blog called Adventuretaco... The guy and his wife live in the Seattle area but have been to DV and Mojave a LOT...!

Don, I would strongly suggest you check it out to get some ideas and logistic nuggets...!

--Paul

I have been following a great Tacoma blog called Adventuretaco... The guy and his wife live in the Seattle area but have been to DV and Mojave a LOT...!

Don, I would strongly suggest you check it out to get some ideas and logistic nuggets...!

--Paul

Do you really expect me to click on something about a Tacoma???  Oh the horror!

On another note, we may have an appearance from a former member who has rather a lot of DV trips under his belt.  Assuming he can get back out west at least.

I am planning on going now and if you need help LMK ;)

anyone seen the state of Stella's lately?  last time we were there the pipe from the spring was broken and all of the trees around the cabin were dead.. would love to fix that .

Briggs is always a favourite also

I like starting @ Eureka dunes and down to Saline springs

Defense mine after Panamint is fun too especially for kids in the mine

I am totally up for something new though too

Edited by SLOHybrid

I am planning on going now and if you need help LMK ;)

anyone seen the state of Stella's lately? last time we were there the pipe from the spring was broken and all of the trees around the cabin were dead.. would love to fix that .

Briggs is always a favourite also

I like starting @ Eureka dunes and down to Saline springs

Defense mine after Panamint is fun too especially for kids in the mine

I am totally up for something new though too

Stayed at Russell 3 nights ago. Checked out Stella too. Water at both.russell has room for more rigs

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Just seeing these posts and seems like just up my alley. DV has been top of the list, as haven't been back since went on my honeymoon there in 2012. Rental jeep that made it to the Racetrack!

Anyway, I am a strong Tentative. Was looking for a reason to buy the TerraFirma Diff Cover!

Just seeing these posts and seems like just up my alley. DV has been top of the list, as haven't been back since went on my honeymoon there in 2012. Rental jeep that made it to the Racetrack!

Anyway, I am a strong Tentative. Was looking for a reason to buy the TerraFirma Diff Cover!

Don’t buy it. TF is generally cheap, but shiny junk. I had TF diff guards and they were useless.

c5962d6530b8bc383b45aa4c025968f5.jpg

The flimsy guards will not stand up to any real abuse. I went with the Gwynn Lewis option and am very happy with them. Can’t beat 1/4” welded. TF is products fit the statement of “for show, not go”. I’ll never buy anything from them again and I have owned a lot of their product over the years. Lift kits, steering, armor, etc. all junk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t buy it. TF is generally cheap, but shiny junk. I had TF diff guards and they were useless.

c5962d6530b8bc383b45aa4c025968f5.jpg

The flimsy guards will not stand up to any real abuse. I went with the Gwynn Lewis option and am very happy with them. Can’t beat 1/4†welded. TF is products fit the statement of “for show, not goâ€. I’ll never buy anything from them again and I have owned a lot of their product over the years. Lift kits, steering, armor, etc. all junk

Any US shops selling the Gwynn Lewis parts? Can order from UK, but figure I would ask about 'local' options.

Any US shops selling the Gwynn Lewis parts? Can order from UK, but figure I would ask about 'local' options.

Keep in mind that the Gwynn Lewis guards must be welded on. Here is a local link

http://www.roverware.us/differential-guard/

Tactical Rovers also makes one that I think is good that is bolt on. I don’t have any first hand experience with it, but I believe Robert Dingley has them on his D2. Not a bad option if you don’t want to weld.

Brand New Safety Devices Rack for sale

Adding to the DV post because if someone wanted this it will be on my truck for the trip and we could swap it to another truck if someone wanted it. Just put it on my 110 and decided I want a longer rack. This one fits 90’s or 110’s. $1700 as shown, the post in the for sale forum has more pictures and details. And by the way - another vote for Gwynn Lewis. It’s worth welding on the diff guards!

eb158ffdcfbbdf55779b202926e940f7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keep in mind that the Gwynn Lewis guards must be welded on. Here is a local link

http://www.roverware.us/differential-guard/

Tactical Rovers also makes one that I think is good that is bolt on. I don’t have any first hand experience with it, but I believe Robert Dingley has them on his D2. Not a bad option if you don’t want to weld.

I also had the TF diff guards. They lasted two trips. I was able to beat them back into shape and reweld the cracks before giving them away.

I have since fitted the tactical rovers units. They require some welding to attach a couple of tabs to the axle housing and a little grinding to get everything to fit nicely. After welding on the tabs, they are a bolt on fitment.

They have the benefit of protecting the underside of the diff and extending toward the driveshaft to protect the drive shaft pinion. I am very happy with the tactical parts and would buy them again. They were actually cheaper than the TF option and made in California by a small person business that supports our club.

The underside of the diff is actually pretty strong and it’s really the front cover of the front diff and rear cover of the rear which are the weakest areas. I was prepared to loose a 1/4†of ground clearance for the extra protection all the way under the diff, especially around the drain plug.

Front

b27e90760761466fb2f379913703a6a2.jpeg

e07e18c274b8f331d889dabf8317b6e0.jpeg

Rear - note how the drain plug is protected

24725ac82a0eee105df7daeb86013633.jpeg

15c7891e3b0bca977cc4c4477289c9f2.jpeg

Apologies for hijacking the DV thread.

Edited by RobertDingli

Wow Robert! Serious bling...! As for the DV trip, I think we should let Michele (Don's) partner, direct the wish-list of places to see on the itinerary. Titus Canyon is right up there. I suspect that the nice cabins outside of Ballarat are getting too popular, but the climb up there is a great run.

--Paul

Wow Robert! Serious bling...! As for the DV trip, I think we should let Michele (Don's) partner, direct the wish-list of places to see on the itinerary. Titus Canyon is right up there. I suspect that the nice cabins outside of Ballarat are getting too popular, but the climb up there is a great run.

--Paul

Eureka dunes was almost deserted when we were there. Boxcar was taken when we passed by. I'm sure minietta was too. That's popular. There are some nice concrete pads on the way to defense thst are great to camp on. Huge and flat.

Canyon's and dunes sound great!

Seems like lots of cool stuff.

The natural bridge looks really neat too.

I'm actually more interested in exploring and seeing sites than trails for once.

Eureka dunes was almost deserted when we were there. Boxcar was taken when we passed by. I'm sure minietta was too. That's popular. There are some nice concrete pads on the way to defense thst are great to camp on. Huge and flat.

Here I am using one of those concrete pads after driving all the way up to "the"  defense mine (a young Tyler in the pic & Colin in the other).. aah! the days when I didn't give 2 hoots about my rig

post-511-0-43778000-1614805756_thumb.jpg

post-511-0-03646500-1614806037_thumb.jpg

Edited by SLOHybrid

I also had the TF diff guards. They lasted two trips. I was able to beat them back into shape and reweld the cracks before giving them away.

I have since fitted the tactical rovers units. They require some welding to attach a couple of tabs to the axle housing and a little grinding to get everything to fit nicely. After welding on the tabs, they are a bolt on fitment.

They have the benefit of protecting the underside of the diff and extending toward the driveshaft to protect the drive shaft pinion. I am very happy with the tactical parts and would buy them again. They were actually cheaper than the TF option and made in California by a small person business that supports our club.

The underside of the diff is actually pretty strong and it’s really the front cover of the front diff and rear cover of the rear which are the weakest areas. I was prepared to loose a 1/4†of ground clearance for the extra protection all the way under the diff, especially around the drain plug.

Front

b27e90760761466fb2f379913703a6a2.jpeg

e07e18c274b8f331d889dabf8317b6e0.jpeg

Rear - note how the drain plug is protected

24725ac82a0eee105df7daeb86013633.jpeg

15c7891e3b0bca977cc4c4477289c9f2.jpeg

Apologies for hijacking the DV thread.

I like those Guards! I have the TF ones, they work well enough for what I do. Looks like you're challenging Eric in a BLING off!!!

Idea: Since one of the lofty goals to occupy a rare cabin find, is it possible to fly a drone 5 miles up from the valley floor to the cabin site to pre-scope cabin availability???

I know nothing of drone range.

--Paul