Moab - April 2024

<UPDATED April 1 st>

Deleted plans to head to SCARR in Texas since there was only interest in heading to Moab on this trip. 

Participants:

1. Myself D2

2. Michael and Leanne Foster D90

3. Jeff Brown L405

4. Sasha Sher D2

5. Kevin Yankton (heading over from Salt Lake City) D2

Please let me know directly if you are not on this list and want to join  

The plan is to stay for 5 nights (April 4 to 9th) proving four full days of adventure in and around Moab.  There will still be 1.5 - 2 days of driving to get there and then back again to the Bay Area.  

We will do a combination of easy and tough trails. We will have room for passengers who have less capable vehicles for the tougher trails.

We have individual bookings at Sun Outdoors Campground (555 South Main St, Moab (435)259-6848).  This campground is offering a 33% discount right now if you ask.  They do have cabins (communal toilet and shower block) although I was told that I secured the last one. I would be happy to share my cabin with anyone.

Some of the details regarding detailed planning are being discussed on a separate WhatsApp chat. Again, please let me know if you are planning on joining.

Miles, Henry and Theresa will be doing a separate trip to Texas as detailed below 

Robert

Edited by RobertDingli

Theresa, Henry, and I are definitely interested in meeting the crew at SCARR.

We likely won't make the Moab portion as we are opting to head south to Bend National Park and then over to Lampasas to catch the 2024 Total Eclipse on April 8th. 

https://eclipse2024.org/eclipse_cities/statemap.html

image.png

13 hours ago, jcb said:

This sounds like a blast.  Definitely want to do it need to see about scheduling and will update accordingly.

The registration link on the SCARR site is throwing a 404, perhaps not open yet?

Not sure they have the registration open yet. Ill ping back when they do! 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Howdy All

Things are a bit weird for me here as I am in the process of moving out of state. I am still planning on SCARR but most likely wont be able to attend the Moab section of this jaunt. 

For everyone attending SCARR:
1. Registration has opened and get your tickets ASAP. 
2. There is a pre-SCARR gathering the day/night before hosted by a member of the Rover Circus but I would like to get head counts. camping will be available there and its 30 min from the main event. 
3. Link: https://www.texasrovers.com/index.php/scarr-main/scarr-24-registration

For everyone attending Moab:
1. While I wont be able to attend, I will be local to that area with a complete shop if we need to service any damage. Im moving to CO springs and working with a buddy at a Rover repair shop so let me know if assitance is needed. We can also set a rally point here if people would like to convoy through ES/NW Colorado/Texas.

Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

I am a very cautious yes for Moab.
Want to go: YES; will be able to: aghh?

Unfortunately, can’t make it to Texas: too long of a trip. I’ll watch the thread as the planning develops.

Texas is probably out for us, but Leigh Anne and I have booked a cabin at Sun Outdoors Campground in Moab (used to be the Canyonlands campground) for 3 nights, April 5 through 8th.  Just wanted to get something on our calendar, we’ve stayed at that campground before and it’s very convenient to town and trails.  It would be great if everyone going is able to stay in the same place or nearby.

2 hours ago, Mffoster said:

Texas is probably out for us, but Leigh Anne and I have booked a cabin at Sun Outdoors Campground in Moab (used to be the Canyonlands campground) for 3 nights, April 5 through 8th.  Just wanted to get something on our calendar, we’ve stayed at that campground before and it’s very convenient to town and trails.  It would be great if everyone going is able to stay in the same place or nearby.

Is it this one: 

https://www.sunoutdoors.com/utah/sun-outdoors-canyonlands-gateway?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAw6yuBhDrARIsACf94RXzjShqAjjdfLEvSrR9D3cRDymQAW7O6nthIBvZXTaCy_IZcdBIfjIaAhErEALw_wcB

?

No, it's this other one,

Sun Outdoors Moab Downtown 555 South Main Street, Moab, UT 84532

Think this is the link to their website.      https://www.sunoutdoors.com/utah/sun-outdoors-moab-downtown?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAw6yuBhDrARIsACf94RVouhyA7VtUFTBn1RFkGDHE3kiPWd2s1cpPyXLcPEywzMQSVjP1vPkaAnkgEALw_wcB

• 2 weeks later...

I just booked a cabin at Sun Outdoors for April 5th-8th, and definitely considering heading to SCARR after that. Is anyone else up for the Texas run?

Planning on taking the northern route to experience Middlegate Station again, and to get some more of that hot sauce.

On 2/13/2024 at 7:22 AM, Mffoster said:

I am confused about the dates. If we want to spend full four days (5,6,7,8) in Moab, we need to get there on the 4th and leave on the 9th. That means that any campground reservations should be for 5 nights (arriving on the 4th; leaving on the 9th). What am I missing?

1 hour ago, Mffoster said:

Great point!  We just booked those dates to get something on the books.  If we finalize the days everyone can make the trip we’ll add to our reservation.

Sounds good. I booked 4th to 9th.

We changed our reservation at Sun Outdoors Campground in Moab - now 5 nights, arriving April 5th and checking out April 9th. The campground has a few tent sites and at least one cabin still available for these dates. They are running a spring special, 33% off if you stay at least 3 nights. If interested in booking, call them directly (435)259-6848 and speak to Shannon.

1 hour ago, Mffoster said:

We changed our reservation at Sun Outdoors Campground in Moab - now 5 nights, arriving April 5th and checking out April 9th. The campground has a few tent sites and at least one cabin still available for these dates. They are running a spring special, 33% off if you stay at least 3 nights. If interested in booking, call them directly (435)259-6848 and speak to Shannon.

I just called the number, talked to Shannon, and she was kind enough to apply the discount to the reservation I made a few days ago. A full tank of gas worth of savings!

Thank you Mike.