Moab - April 2024

Just spoke with Shannon and extended to the 5th-9th, and she gave me the SDS discount as well.  This gonna be some fun.

Really looking forward to seeing you all.

Likely going to bail on Texas given the travel time and no takers for a partner in crime...

Edited by jcb

My current plan is take take the period of April 3 to April 10 as vacation. I’ll drive to Moab over two days (April 3 and 4) and stay at the campground in a cabin for 5 nights April 4 to 9. The drive home April 9 and 10. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2024 at 6:33 PM, RobertDingli said:

My current plan is take take the period of April 3 to April 10 as vacation. I’ll drive to Moab over two days (April 3 and 4) and stay at the campground in a cabin for 5 nights April 4 to 9. The drive home April 9 and 10. 

I am also booked for the 4th-9th and want to head out the 3rd, preferably morning.  Convoy?  Also was thinking of staying at Middlegate Station again as the waypoint.  Does this work for you?

From Moab I will be heading to Oregon for a week or so so won't be convoying back to the Bay.

Posted (edited)

Moab trip report days 1&2 - Getting there 

We split the 1000 mile journey into two halves and stayed at Spencer Hot Springs last night. As I got to camp, I noticed the battery light was on just as we got there. It’s partially hidden by my Scangauge and may have been on for a while. I was carrying a sore and swapped it over in no time. I started the engine and the battery voltage was about 12.8V. A little low, but then the battery may have been quite flat. 

In the morning we started to line up to leave, when Sasha said that his D2 wouldn’t start. It would not crank. The security system had been tripped (possibly due to the hood being open) and we had to reset the system by locking and unlocking the doors. We tried this several times and it was clear that it wasn’t the problem. The next thought was something to do with the PRNDL lever, but there were no tell tale signs of faulty XYZ switch and the gear was correctly show on the dash. 

We traced the starter circuit through the fuse and relay and down to the starter motor. I was carrying a spare starter and was preparing to swap it out. In desperation I asked Mike to give the starter a whack with a hammer. He used a screw driver handle as a mallet and it worked. The engine fired straight up after and thump to the starter solenoid. 

The next adventure was my replacement, used alternator. This had come of my parts truck and I did not have any issues with it previously. For this trip, the regulator was partially working at the best of times and switching on and off and slowly draining the battery (fortunately it’s a dispose deep cycle unit). I managed to drive the distance and got as low 10.5 V before the alternator kicked in just as we drove into town. I have a replacement ordered which should arrive at O’Reilly’s tomorrow. 

We had a nice dinner at Zax and finally scrubbed up before a night cap at the cabin. 

IMG_0554.jpeg

Edited by RobertDingli

OMG... I thought the hammer on the starter trick was reserved only for Series trucks!. Wonder it Sasha's starter winding is/was frozen from excess moisture in there...?

--Paul

5 hours ago, PaulD said:

OMG... I thought the hammer on the starter trick was reserved only for Series trucks!. Wonder it Sasha's starter winding is/was frozen from excess moisture in there...?

--Paul

Not sure. Hasn’t done it since.

Great trip, just a couple of minor breakdowns that were dealt with. The trails were amazing as ever. It was great driving with Sasha on Hell's Revenge. He took the Super Truck easily through every obstacle. Jeff grilled up some awesome beef and chicken tacos on our last night.  Looking forward to our next trip!