Oceano Dunes SVRA North meets South DEC 2-4

hey everyone its time to camp and offroad in the Oceano Dunes once more. Were going back to camping on the beach this time .

Everyone that is camping must get reservation before arriving . As of now there are only a 180 spot and they go fast.

https://www.reservecalifornia.com/    Oceano Dunes SVRa is what you want to book for . 

Colin 

SDS

Trip Details (Print this)

Trip Planner: Lutz

Trail Leader: None. This is an NCLR gathering similar to the MORG @ Hollister. No trip leader. Ea person is responsible for their action and need to abide by Oceano SVRA park rules and regulations: http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1215

Date/Time: Dec 2-4

Brief Trail Description: Welcome to Oceano Dunes State Vehicular Recreation Area (SVRA). Formerly Pismo Dunes SVRA, this sand dune complex is geologically unique and also provides an impressive playground for off-highway enthusiasts from throughout the United States. Oceano Dunes also offers visitors other recreational activities such as swimming, surfing, surf fishing, camping, and hiking: http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1207

Meeting Location: Depending on wind we can camp on the beach near pole 6 or into the dunes 

Use this address for your vehicle GPS: 100 Pier Ave, Oceano, CA.

Or take:
- North or South Interstate 101.
- Take the Grand Avenue exit.
- Turn right (heading west).
- Approx 2 miles turn left on Pacific Coast Highway intersection
- Approx 1 mile turn right on Pier Avenue intersection (light).
- Aprox. ½ mile is the entrance to Oceano, SVRA (100 Pier Ave)

Here's an aerial view of this SVRA park: http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1170/files/OC-Map-WebVersion-Download.pdf

As you can see in the aerial view, there's the "Pier Ave" ramp (100 Pier Ave); follow Pole 1, 2, 3....

Radio Ham
146.460 NCLR
Repeaters
444.525 +5.0 127.3

Fees (yes); Make your reservation: https://www.reservecalifornia.com/CaliforniaWebHome/

Vehicle Requirements: Stock Land Rovers welcomed, but best with high clearance 4x4 vehicles. Air down to the recommend psi for your tires/vehicles while on the beach

Required Safety Equipment: flag can be picked up next to the entrance to the beach, fire extinguisher

Required Recovery Equipment: Strong recovery points (front and rear)

Misc Equipment: shovel, first aid kit, repair tools (to suit your vehicle), tire gauge and tire pump.

Weather Forecast and Trail Conditions: mostly sunny; windy highs in the 60s lows in the 40s at night.

Expected Trail conditions: Will check as we get closer to the date.

Clothing Suggestions: warm weather but bring layers as it gets cold at night.

Property Information
Oceano SVRA Ranger Station
928 Pacific Blvd.
Oceano CA
805-773-7170
Call 911 for emergencies

Entrance to the Park
100 Pier Ave.
Oceano, CA

Nearby Towing and Repair Services info: Kautz Towing (805) 489-2336

Gas/Service Station Locations in the area: several especially on Grand Ave

Other Info:
Bring your camera and extra batteries, tent/sleeping bag if camping, extra garbage bags, sunscreen, GPS Unit optional certainly map of the area and compass, drinking water (primitive camp - no drinking water avail), nights might be cold - bring extra blanket and warm clothing/fire wood, Full size spare/repair kit.

post-448-0-11325200-1547958846_thumb.jpg

post-448-0-51566600-1547958865_thumb.jpg

post-448-0-90811500-1547958902_thumb.jpg

Edited by lutz

Dune driving always scares the crap out of me.  It was the thing I hated most about practicing for the Rebelle Rally.  Lutz and Brenton were good teachers but I still don't like it... LOL.

Edited by erinw.rrc

17 minutes ago, erinw.rrc said:

Dune driving always scares the crap out of me.  It was the thing I hated most about practicing for the Rebelle Rally.  Lutz and Brenton were good teachers but I still don't like it... LOL.

So.... you are going? Yay!! See you there!

On 10/7/2022 at 2:11 PM, SDS said:

I just reserved a spot. Hope nothing unexpected happens between now and then and I'll be able to make it!

Shh dont let the rover hear you.

2 hours ago, CRYA said:

It's quite a haul from Napa but I've got a reservation in place. Probably weather-dependent for us so I'm 50-50 at this point!

Keeping my finger crossed is stays nice. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2022 at 7:13 PM, drafdog said:

I'm in! Hopefully the rest of my family and a few friends will join with me.

So it looks like I (Oliver)will be taking the LR3 down and my dad will be taking down the LR4 with hopefully my sister(s) as well! If anyone is in the Merced/Modesto/Fresno area I will likely leave that Friday and would be up for a convoy heading down.

we just put in for our reservation so i hope i did it right. that being said we may be trailering down Friday and stopping at scullys to drop off on axle if he's around that day, so is there a place to store a truck and trailer near by or would someone mind letting me leave it in a driveway for the weekend?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I am coming down but I was going to drop off a hot tub at my sisters in bend but it did not work out over thanksgiving and I will have a hot tub in the back of my truck.  It runs on a standard 110 outlet. Does anyone have a generator thats kinda quiet my guess is its a 20 amp 120 v plug.  It would be sick to have a hot tub on the beach.    If not not big deal.  

17217181-A145-4BB6-B90A-BC9F253ADDDB.jpeg