Oceano Dunes SVRA North meets South DEC 2-4

Some of us locals will try to join you on Friday & Saturday for day use entry into the dunes & dinner maybe!

I have to play a gig on Saturday at noon in Paso, will try to rally after that!

--Paul

I'm planning on leaving from Merced mid day on Friday (if all goes well) and hope to be at camp a little before sunset if anyone would like to caravan from the central valley (I'm open to leaving at any time on Friday and can meet anywhere along 99). Unfortunately the D2 is gone and so ill be taking an LR3 down

-Oliver 

On 10/13/2022 at 8:55 PM, LR4HD said:

I reserved a camping spot. Oceano Dunes is on my list of places to go so I hope I can make it, but I won't know for sure until closer to December.

I'm bummed; I'm not able to make it this weekend. Hope y'all have a great time.

I'll be leaving Friday afternoon.....  Will crash at my brothers - then Saturday morning - we will watch the USA World Cup match, then head out.  He lives around 10 minutes away.....

See you all there!!!  Super pumped!  

We're gonna head out tomorrow morning with a pit stop in sac. So hopefully we'll be there around 5, a bit of noob question do we need a little sand flag for the car? And do we plan to set up a bit of a base camp on Saturday? I have to drag my little jeep trailer down to drop off parts but I'd rather not drag it around the beach if possible. 

1 hour ago, Renorover said:

We're gonna head out tomorrow morning with a pit stop in sac. So hopefully we'll be there around 5, a bit of noob question do we need a little sand flag for the car? And do we plan to set up a bit of a base camp on Saturday? I have to drag my little jeep trailer down to drop off parts but I'd rather not drag it around the beach if possible. 

Yes flags are required I have extras that are my old worn out ones you can use. We will have a base camp on the beach unless it's windy then we might do it inside the dunes but that's where the tents will be. I will have some caution tape to rope off for a little area. As of right now we will be camping at the end of the beach. Just prepare for some rain it looks like it may not be the most beautiful weekend out there

It should be ok on the sand its a small lightweight trailer and we can use it to string a tarp if needed. I was gonna trailer the 88 with the truck but with the snow on the pass on Sunday I'd rather not be dragging that set up in the snow so it'll be handbag lr3 for me. Everybody bring your straps for when I get it sunk in the ocean. 

15 minutes ago, Renorover said:

It should be ok on the sand its a small lightweight trailer and we can use it to string a tarp if needed. I was gonna trailer the 88 with the truck but with the snow on the pass on Sunday I'd rather not be dragging that set up in the snow so it'll be handbag lr3 for me. Everybody bring your straps for when I get it sunk in the ocean. 

I go out there all the time in my lr3 it does great. Just don't throw it down into a hole and you're fine. I was just out there a week or so ago with the film shoot with a stock range Rover and I was bombing it no problem The dunes are really packed right now. 

Soooo this is my first time at Oceano Dunes (crazy I know!) but have camped at and traversed Ocotillo Wells down south. 

Some questions:

-Do we need to bring firewood or is this disallowed?

-I have ordered flags for our vehicles, what is the best way to mount them on an LR3? 

-Can we set up camp with awnings and tables and leave them for the day or do we need to pack up while we explore?

-Anything extra we need to bring since rain is forecasted for the weekend?

Much thanks.

Hey folks, sorry to say, but we won't be making this one this year. Super bummed, but Henry caught a bit of a cold and we don't want to add that + rain. 

I think out of of everyone Henry is the most upset. Even now he glares at me from inside his bundle of blankets... Catch you all next time and hope everyone has a great time!

33 minutes ago, CRYA said:

Have fun all. Too much rain for this fair-weather camper! Enjoy. You'll probably have the place to yourselves! :)

I'm hoping it will blow over but yeah maybe a little wet Saturday. You'll have to come out next time. 

20 minutes ago, Mr.BlueSky said:

Hey folks, sorry to say, but we won't be making this one this year. Super bummed, but Henry caught a bit of a cold and we don't want to add that + rain. 

I think out of of everyone Henry is the most upset. Even now he glares at me from inside his bundle of blankets... Catch you all next time and hope everyone has a great time!

Sorry to see you guys aren't going to make it. Hope Henry gets well soon. I was just talking to the local urgent Care nurse the other day. It seems like everybody's got the cold right now.

53 minutes ago, Mr.BlueSky said:

Julia's gonna be pissed 

1 minute ago, Renorover said:

Julia's gonna be pissed 

Henry says... Ditto - Hopefully we can catch up soon. We drove through I-80 last weekend, but Theresa had to get back to work right away so we could not stop by and say hello : (.

34 minutes ago, lutz said:

I'm hoping it will blow over but yeah maybe a little wet Saturday. You'll have to come out next time. 

Sorry to see you guys aren't going to make it. Hope Henry gets well soon. I was just talking to the local urgent Care nurse the other day. It seems like everybody's got the cold right now.

Yeah, colds and RSV are bombarding the hospitals... not good for babies. So far it seems he has a normal cold so fingers crossed for that.

Well the forecast just updated looks like it's going to rain quite a bit Saturday. I'm still down to go out there but if anybody wants to cancel this would be the time to do it for your reservations. 

5 hours ago, lutz said:

My sister in law is a nurse at the local hospital - we got you covered - ;) you know you want to go........