17" beadlocks

DHappel

On the way back from the snow run yesterday while cruising along 99 I started feeling a vibration.  I couldn't place it and kept trying different speeds acceleration vs coast, different lanes on the highway etc.  In the end it turned out to be a wheel coming loose.  I pulled over before it became a problem but it wallowed out the mounting holes one the wheel and I don't think I'll be able to keep using it.

The short of all this is it looks like I'm going to use this as an opportunity to upgrade from my current 15" steel TR beadlocks (no longer in production) to 17" alloy.  15" is becoming an out-of-fashion size and only a couple people are making 37s in a 15" anymore.  17s, though more expensive, should offer far more tire options and in alloy will probably save some weight as well.

So - anybody have a lead on a set?  Used preferably as wheels and tires both are going to cost plenty of pesos.  Otherwise, any deals you know of on new stuff? 

Next, we'll talk tires.  Because short of an oil thread nothing is quite as fun as a tire thread.  I like my current PitBulls a lot but IROKs and Treps are also possibilities though I don't think the latter is very good in anything but rock.   I won't be looking at street-oriented stuff like KM2s or such.  Might even consider a sticky since I don't put a ton of street miles on it.

Scary stuff. Sometime they just sheer the lugs before you notice anything. That pit bull flying down the highway would be a lot scarier than your little trailer wheel. Btw, KM2 is so 2015. We’re at KM3 now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Triggered" 

On a side note I'm looking at ordering KM3s or Yokahama Geolanders for Snowflake... 

Resume beadlock topic : )

I did put Geolanders on the LR3; the G003.

For the D1 I might consider their more aggressive tire the X-MT.

I did put Geolanders on the LR3; the G003.

For the D1 I might consider their more aggressive tire the X-MT.

Did a quick google - seems the X-MT does not come in 33" nor fit a 16" rim : (

Not ready to cut Snowflake's fenders just yet...

Did a quick google - seems the X-MT does not come in 33" nor fit a 16" rim : (

Not ready to cut Snowflake's fenders just yet...

Well they are basically copying the tread pattern of the Nitto Mud Grapplers, so you could always go that route. I had them in a 33” tire and a 16” rim. 305/70/16 were the size I think. I loved the tires, but they are a bit loud for some

Well they are basically copying the tread pattern of the Nitto Mud Grapplers, so you could always go that route. I had them in a 33” tire and a 16” rim. 305/70/16 were the size I think. I loved the tires, but they are a bit loud for some

nice! I'll take a look at these. 

(Sorry Don for hijacking thread)

nice! I'll take a look at these. 

(Sorry Don for hijacking thread)

No worries - I'm always interested in tire options and had forgot about the mud grappler.  I'll add it to my list.

Currently that looks like this

PitBull Rocker

Yoko G005 X-MT

IROK radial

Swamper SSR

Maxxis Trep M8060

If anybody thinks of other suggestions chime in.  I'm trying to find detailed specs of all of them in a 37-12.50-17 for comparison.  

Performance wise I'd say 70% rock, 10% snow, 10% mud, 5% sand, 5% road.  And lighter is better.  Only looking at radials for now, though I suppose bias isn't out of the question.

Wow - weight difference is HUGE, from 80 to 97 lbs.  Any guess what the heaviest is?

Mud Grappler.  Although it's a 13.50 instead of a 12.50.  Even the PitBull is lighter at 90 lbs

Check out the Irok Bias Ply. They drive good enough on the street, but have several benefits Offroad that made it worth it for me over the radials. I’m on my second set, the other set was on my Toyota. The sidewall is stronger on the bias ply, they air down better, they have larger gaps between the lugs, and they are much lighter. I think the weight is due to the spacing between the lugs. Overall they are the incompromised version of the irok. Tried and true for many years. I drive them combined with a very heavy (60+lbs) steel double beadlock rim balanced with beads. So on paper it is as far from a setup made for road manners as you can practically get in that size, but it really doesn’t drive too bad on the road.

0762e96f56df62f0b7eb0609df6369d1.jpg

Even lighter than I thought and actually has a larger OD than your 37” pitbulls according to their specs

The PItBull would be 37.25x12.7 according to their specs, but weigh in at 90 lbs each.  Quite a difference.  I didn't look at their bias plys, but I suspect they'll still be much heavier.  That's one of lightest tires I've seen in this size range.  

I'll add the bias to my list.  Not sure what else really falls into this class of tire.  There's always the more road biased MTs like the MT/R, Toyo, KM3, etc which would probably be decent but I'm really looking for a more extreme tire as noted.  I did take a quick glance at the Mickey Thompson site but I don't see much there that appeals to me.  The super aggressive Baja Pro XS doesn't come in a 37.  The Baja Boss MT doesn't look as extreme as the rest of the things I'm looking at (don't know anybody using them).  Most of their other tires are either stickies or not in my size. 

I wonder if I'm not over-doing things only looking at the stuff I've mentioned like the PitBulls and Irocs.  Likely some of the middle tier stuff would be fine as well.  I also can't help but think technology has to have improved since those tires were introduced - they're 20+ year old designs in the case of the Interco stuff and nearly that old with the PitBull. 

Edited by DHappel

Don, check out Stockton wheel.. I sent them a set of Series steel wheels to them in the past and they widened them to 8" and 5" back spacing.. they can also make bigger hoops such as a 17" .. price is reasonable.. I have tons of Series steel wheels if you need core's

this has become a tire thread :P

As you know i run the Kanati mud hog .More of a desert tire then a full on rock .it has worn well but not as sticky as i would like.. Only thing i would be worried with a sticky tire would be breaking something.Also i run a race tire (sticky) on my bug and only get about 2k miles on them.

As you know i run the Kanati mud hog .More of a desert tire then a full on rock .it has worn well but not as sticky as i would like.. Only thing i would be worried with a sticky tire would be breaking something.Also i run a race tire (sticky) on my bug and only get about 2k miles on them.

Yeah, I'm not going to go with a sticky for exactly those two reasons - short life and the added grip would just help break more stuff.

As for wheels, if I get new stuff I'm going aluminum to save weight and 17" to have more tire options.  There are only a couple 37s still available in 15". 

However I will contact Stockton Wheel tomorrow to see if they can repair my current wheel.  That's not very fun, but would probably save me about $4500(!) that I really should spend on the next build instead of this one  

Here's what I've found for tires so far:

size               load rating   weight  wheel width  section width   dia   tread width   tread depth 

Yokohama X-MT                  37-12.50R17       D             80.2         10                   13           36.8      10.2                21   

37-13.50R17       E              84            11                 13.9          36.7      11.1                21

IROK radial                          37-12.50R17                        83          9-11                13.1         36.9       11                  21 

IROK bias                            36-13.50-17                         66           10                   13.8         36.8       12                 21 

Swamper SSR                     37-12.50R17                       78            10                   13           36.9       11                  21 

PitBull Rocker Radial           37-12.50R17   C or E          90            10                 12.7         37.25     10.6               22 

PitBull Rocker Bias               37-13.50-17                         79            11                 13.6          36.5       11                 22

Maxis Trep M8060 -Radial   37x12.40R17                     87.28         10                  13            36.9                            21

Nitto Mud Grappler              37x13.50R17      E               97            11                14.57        37.05                            21 

Edited by DHappel

FYI - I had Stockton Wheel make a set of 16x7’s by welding centers from stock 5 1/2†wide wheels into wider barrels.  They said they could not make the stock 16†centers into 17†wheels because there weren’t any barrels that would work with the 16†centers.  Doubt they could turn 15’s into 17’s.  

FYI - I had Stockton Wheel make a set of 16x7’s by welding centers from stock 5 1/2” wide wheels into wider barrels.  They said they could not make the stock 16” centers into 17” wheels because there weren’t any barrels that would work with the 16” centers.  Doubt they could turn 15’s into 17’s.  

I wouldn't try to change my current 15s to 17s; I'd just see if they can repair my damaged 15.  If they can that's really what makes the most sense.  If not, then I'll proceed with new alloy 17s which in turn means new tires.  

These are a pretty nifty alternative to standard beadlocks:

https://www.coyoteents.com/beadlocks/?v=f24485ae434a

I have a set of 5 of these for a 15” rim if anybody wants to buy them off me for cheap. Tubes and all