Caravan to WNLRR

Starting a new thread on this, as the other post is a bit buried. 

We're about 3 weeks from Western National... so, I want to re-start this for folks who are planning to head to WNLRR on Sept 12th. 

I plotted out a convoy route from South Bay to Bear Valley, with stops in between. 

The plan is to arrive into Bear Valley early afternoon (between noon - 2pm) on Sept 12th to allow time to check-in, set camp & relax. 

Route stops: 

- South Bay/San Jose - Starbucks in Milpitas, with departure at 9am.

- Livermore - Target (folks from SF and East Bay) - departure ~9:50 - 10am (pending morning traffic), 

- Stockton - McDonalds (folks from North Bay and Sacto, Interstate 5: Modesto) - departure ~11am

- Murphy, CA - (folks from SoCal via 4, East of Sacto) - likely grab lunch at this stop - looks like a neat town with plenty of food options. arrive ~12/noon. More details TBD. Gas up here. There is also a small gas station at Bear Valley entrance as well. 

Updated route plan here: https://goo.gl/maps/fYGeCmZESFw

Reply or PM with name & location so I know who to wait for where. 

HAM: 146.460. But if bad squelch, hop over to 146.360.

• 2 weeks later...

Google map to one of the meeting points to see which one is best for you.

Will do. Do we have any expactations on time for point A and B? Have to mentally prepare my boss here on the fax that I won’t be in the office that afternoon from a certain time :-)

Will do. Do we have any expactations on time for point A and B? Have to mentally prepare my boss here on the fax that I won’t be in the office that afternoon from a certain time :-)

Hey, Martin... the estimated time at each meeting point is posted above (barring major roadway delays). Is that what you're asking about? 

We'll be on major highways most to Murphy, CA... so, you should have internet access via phone at least until them. I don't know what your carrier's coverage looks like... but with a major ski resort there, I wouldn't be surprised if we all have solid cell signal. 

You can also msg me directly if you have more questions on the caravan. 

Everyone else... checking traffic just now, our route looks to be pretty open - reverse traffic). Yay! 

At camp/Bear Valley most should have cell service.  Verizon seems stronger than ATT; don't know about any others.  However up/down highway 4 you'll loose signal once you get a few miles away from Bear Valley so you won't have service for your full drive up.  And of course you won't have coverage on the trails.

Tallying up the caravan for Wednesday morning to WNLRR:

Starbucks - Milpitas (1197 E Calaveras Blvd, Milpitas, CA 95035)

• Robert (LR88)
  • Yokreiger (LR3)
  • Cris (D90)

Target - Livermore (4300 Las Positas Rd, Livermore, CA 94551)

• Rupert (LR3)
  • Daniel (Disco2)
  • Phil (D90/RRS)
  • Martin (Range Rover)

As of now, it doesn't look like we have anyone at the McDonald's in Stockton meeting point. So, that may be a quick pit stop before continuing to Murphy. 

Murphy looks to be good size town. So, folks can pick up any last minute/forgotten items here.

We can also decide if we want to grab lunch here (pack or local place), fill up before the last 45min drive to camp. 

Post here if you have any changes up until the morning of. 

Tallying up the caravan for Wednesday morning to WNLRR:

Starbucks - Milpitas (1197 E Calaveras Blvd, Milpitas, CA 95035)

• Robert (LR88)
  • Yokreiger (LR3)
  • Cris (D90)
Target - Livermore (4300 Las Positas Rd, Livermore, CA 94551)
  • Rupert (LR3)
  • Daniel (Disco2)
  • Phil (D90/RRS)
  • Martin (Range Rover)
As of now, it doesn't look like we have anyone at the McDonald's in Stockton meeting point. So, that may be a quick pit stop before continuing to Murphy.

Murphy looks to be good size town. So, folks can pick up any last minute/forgotten items here.

We can also decide if we want to grab lunch here (pack or local place), fill up before the last 45min drive to camp.

Post here if you have any changes up until the morning of.

Recommend getting gas at the station with a bear in Arnold. Also the grocery store has great beer and food. I'd recommend not stopping in Murphy's gets really crowded in the little downtown area.

Some cool outfitter stores in Arnold area too if you plan to fish... fishing is good up there.

I'll be leaving my house around 8pm so keep the lights on for us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for heads up on Murphy v. Arnold.

I picked Murphy since it looks like a fun little down with some neat restaurants... At this point, I'm not sure if anyone else will be meeting us in Murphy (posted to other sites of this route)...so, if not, we will make stop in Arnold. 

Thanks for heads up on Murphy v. Arnold.

I picked Murphy since it looks like a fun little down with some neat restaurants... At this point, I'm not sure if anyone else will be meeting us in Murphy (posted to other sites of this route)...so, if not, we will make stop in Arnold.

Awesome town and fun to explore, not the best for pit stops on the way to bear valley.

Let me know if you have any questions, we get up there as much as we can and Nick lives there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Jethro’s suggestion. Arnold for gas and stop at grocery deli for food. I hope these are the places he suggested.

Grizzly Station ? For gas.

Big Trees Market ? For deli food and last minute groceries and beer.

Also assorted “bio-breaks†along the route to Wnlrr 🚹🚺🚻

Archived