What Did You Do With Your Rover Today?

AdvRovr

Did you get aligned? Wear looks uneven

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly what I was thinking!  I'm assuming you did, but if not schedule that ASAP.

Was heading to the Shaver Lake area this morning. Passed Andrew on 101 near Gilroy on his way to Hollister. About 5 miles past Casa De Fruta my tensioner pulley went bye bye. I noticed because my battery warning light came on (alternator wasn’t spinning) and was quickly followed by my temp maxing out. I pulled over to tiny shoulder and immediately noticed steam coming from under the hood. After popping the hood, it was clear what the issue was. Luckily I had another pulley assembly on me and was able to replace it. It was a relatively quick and easy fix, about 20 minutes, and there doesn’t seem to be any collateral damage. Almost ruined the weekend. I’m definitely going to replace the spare with another spare.9adc7a75185bd0e2a32a3f16de173876.jpgbb2544aaae95bc13c6bcd9cca0f22ea3.jpg8eff2ba74c642d4da2b2f3c234554dc3.jpg

Exactly what I was thinking!  I'm assuming you did, but if not schedule that ASAP

I had alignment checked again (was done about a year ago). Front was still good - but rear passenger side Toe was off. Tire that wore however was on driver side. Could be that I had it on passenger side before (I had switched off road tires on for a few months) and that's where the bad wear occurred - but not sure. Anyway - alignment is back in spec on all 4 wheels now. Will keep an eye on new tires for unusual wear. 

I had alignment checked again (was done about a year ago). Front was still good - but rear passenger side Toe was off. Tire that wore however was on driver side. Could be that I had it on passenger side before (I had switched off road tires on for a few months) and that's where the bad wear occurred - but not sure. Anyway - alignment is back in spec on all 4 wheels now. Will keep an eye on new tires for unusual wear.

I have a lifetime alignment deal that I got from wheel works. I know our president (Erin) has the same deal from wheel works. It really pays for itself (around $200) easily if you’re going off road or you modify your vehicle often. Not sure if you have a similar deal, but if you don’t, consider it. Makes it easy to just get it realigned whenever you suspect it might need it.

I have a lifetime alignment deal that I got from wheel works. I know our president (Erin) has the same deal from wheel works. It really pays for itself (around $200) easily if you’re going off road or you modify your vehicle often. Not sure if you have a similar deal, but if you don’t, consider it. Makes it easy to just get it realigned whenever you suspect it might need it.

Perhaps I should look into this for my LR3.  Not so important with the D1 since alignment isn't so easily de-funked on a solid axle truck but I mess with the suspension on the LR3 semi-regularly it seems.

And I finally paid the price for that Frank Raines mud pit fun

Yeah...I'm no fan of mud.

Yet I'm heading to PC tomorrow.  I'm sure there won't be any mud there....

Was heading to the Shaver Lake area this morning. Passed Andrew on 101 near Gilroy on his way to Hollister. About 5 miles past Casa De Fruta my tensioner pulley went bye bye. I noticed because my battery warning light came on (alternator wasn’t spinning) and was quickly followed by my temp maxing out. I pulled over to tiny shoulder and immediately noticed steam coming from under the hood. After popping the hood, it was clear what the issue was. Luckily I had another pulley assembly on me and was able to replace it. It was a relatively quick and easy fix, about 20 minutes, and there doesn’t seem to be any collateral damage. Almost ruined the weekend. I’m definitely going to replace the spare with another spare.9adc7a75185bd0e2a32a3f16de173876.jpgbb2544aaae95bc13c6bcd9cca0f22ea3.jpg8eff2ba74c642d4da2b2f3c234554dc3.jpg

Glad you had the part with you.  I recall loosing a tensioner on an old Ford Lightning a few years back, though I was close enough to home to limp it back.

Perhaps I should look into this for my LR3. Not so important with the D1 since alignment isn't so easily de-funked on a solid axle truck but I mess with the suspension on the LR3 semi-regularly it seems.

They are also transferable once. That means you can transfer it to a different vehicle one time or you can transfer the same vehicle to a different owner. It’s a pretty great deal actually.

Glad you had the part with you. I recall loosing a tensioner on an old Ford Lightning a few years back, though I was close enough to home to limp it back.

I’m a Land Rover owner, I practically bring my own donor vehicle everytime I leave the house. Standard stuff right?

Refreshed the rear suspension on my L322 this weekend. I installed new lower wishbone bushes, stabilizer bar linkages, trailing links and upper and lower rose joints. The lower rose joints were toast which explained the nasty screeching noises I’ve had since Hollister three weeks ago.

a564bc8c18666c416fe0be8cb5b98f3d.jpg

New parts

cf75f4b69721ace5d082919d149b3328.jpg

Pressing out the old bushes

e9276fc0d286c4c346e9f7b713f4e7d0.jpg

Oops, there was still some residual pressure in the air spring when I released the wishbone. After disconnecting the line (at the rear cross valve) I was able to push the sprig back into shape.

82cadab952934de54bcecc972cb2825f.jpg

Replacing the upper knuckle rose joint

268801ed49d98fc85022a46135b0a5f2.jpg

Old lower rose joint. Note the crud I found inside. There was also significant play in both of these joints.

Suffice to say, the car is near silent when driving over speed humps now. I no longer have to choose my path to avoid any bumps.

Was heading to the Shaver Lake area this morning. Passed Andrew on 101 near Gilroy on his way to Hollister. About 5 miles past Casa De Fruta my tensioner pulley went bye bye. I noticed because my battery warning light came on (alternator wasn’t spinning) and was quickly followed by my temp maxing out. I pulled over to tiny shoulder and immediately noticed steam coming from under the hood. After popping the hood, it was clear what the issue was. Luckily I had another pulley assembly on me and was able to replace it. It was a relatively quick and easy fix, about 20 minutes, and there doesn’t seem to be any collateral damage. Almost ruined the weekend. I’m definitely going to replace the spare with another spare.

I recall one of our Baja trips this happened to someone's D2... while they didn't have the spare part, someone had a DI tensioner (or a different-year/engine D2 tensioner, can't recall) and they hobbled the parts together to make it work.  I was impressed at the level of ingenuity displayed; some of that may have had to do with how dark it was getting; no one likes driving in Baja at night so everyone worked quickly.

The belt didn't sit correctly on the tensioner (about 15% of it was sitting off the pulley due to the part not being designed for it), but hey, it was enough to get through the trip.

Hearing that another one bit the dust, this certainly seems like a key part to keep in the spares bin for a Disco.

Refreshed the rear suspension on my L322 this weekend. I installed new lower wishbone bushes, stabilizer bar linkages, trailing links and upper and lower rose joints. The lower rose joints were toast which explained the nasty screeching noises I’ve had since Hollister three weeks ago.

Old lower rose joint. Note the crud I found inside. There was also significant play in both of these joints.

Do you think the crud is chewed up rubber or is it something else?

Do you think the crud is chewed up rubber or is it something else?

It could be. I cannot recall the state of the rubber since I had to rip off the rubber to fit a suitably small diameter pressing cup. It could also be a rust dust + dried grease + external dust. Either way, I have read that this is not uncommon for ~ 10 year old L322s. There was significant play in the joints as well.

I can't speak for the L322, but the L319 chassis certainly likes to eat bushings. 10 years would be a long service life for them.

Pretty much the case for all non-Japanese independent suspension vehicles. Front suspension bushings go through hell and are probably the single most frequent repair I've done on all my cars over time.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Got some new shoes for the classic. Picked up a set of 205R16 Bridgestone Duelers (OE size for the truck, very difficult to find nowadays) and mounted them on a nice set of 3 spoke alloys for that factory fresh look. (got the wheels from SLOHybrid a couple of months ago... thanks again!)

IMG_5301.jpg

Edited by cnrotter

• 2 weeks later...

2173c18b3771420a29e1446f97d32393.jpg

Installed the roof rack and dog guard and just general overall prep for next week's trip.

Looks great, what rack is that? Like the sliders...tactical rovers?