What Did You Do With Your Rover Today?

AdvRovr

Kiddie pool drip pan? Really? That's a whole new level of Rover dripitude if you need to use that.  :P

Now on a serious note... Well done, the engine looks awesome! 

-Esten

:lol:

Let's just say "major" mechanical repairs aren't exactly kosher at our current rental... granted, I don't think I have attempted anything major... although, I may also not be the best judge of that.  :P

And you should have seen the ooze dripping off that block before I painted it! 

Well it wasn't today but it was over the weekend so I think it counts.  Disco got a little love after the carnage it suffered on fordyce a week ago.  Thanks to Mr. Scully, and in a round about way Mr. Terry, I was able to pick up a used tail light assembly to replace the one I smashed while stuck and partly broken.  Replacing a disco tail light assembly isn't too difficult but it is an exercise in flexibility and dexterity if you don't remove the jump seat.  I would probably have saved plenty of time removing the seat, but hindsight and all that.  I did have to play body shop for a bit as it wasn't just the lens that suffered my wrath but the sheet metal too.  All in all it took about 1.5 hours to get it done.  

Then I moved onto the axle.  One thing that I didn't mention on my write up from the earlier was that when installing the replacement rear axle shaft one of the bolts snapped off with surprisingly little force, or perhaps all those days in the gym have paid off.  Regardless, I made it home with 4.5 of 5 bolts installed.  I had hoped that it would have broken high enough to leave me a little bit to grab onto but upon removal of the axle shaft the break was about 1/4" inside the hub.  Dang.  Out came the drill and easy out, and for once, it was easy.  That is after I located the correct sized drill bit for the easy out.  I was using an impact to remove the bolts and the truck was on a bit of a slope and didn't notice that the full weight of the rig was on the one axle that I was removing so when it backed out the threads on the bolt got all munched up.  So I replaced two bolts.  To for the price of one right?  I figure I got a deal.

Finally it was onto the P38.  The disco tucked away the dog guard in the P38 had been flopping around.  Assuming you aren't familiar with dog guards from 18 year old vehicles this one was not a stock item and neither were its mounts.  It mounts from the roof by the way of two plastic blocks that screw to the roof structure via some rivnuts.  A rivnut is a cobmo of a rivet and a nut used in a place where a blind inside thread is needed in a thin material like sheet metal.  Basically it's a nut, made of in this case aluminum, that is designed to crush in a predetermined spot so it holds like a rivet.  Whoever originally attempted to install the dog guard obviously didn't know how these things work.  There is a very expensive special tool that can be used to install these things and it works great bit that previous owner didn't have one, and neither do I.  What the owner did have was some epoxy, which they used.  I suppose at least it wasn't JB weld although that's been holding Don's transmission together so if they had it could have saved me a little time.  Anyway, a quick youtube search revealed an easy way to install these things without the aforementioned expensive special too.  After digging through the spare nuts and bolts drawer I found a nut and some washers that would "work".  I was able to install one of 4 rivnuts before destroying the nut I had found but I was on my way to the local Ace Hardware anyway so i picked up the right stuff and the other three went without incident.  It all went back together and cleaned up quickly. 

Hopefully the rest of my rover projects go this well.  Happy wheeling. 

Edited by JFuller

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nothing too major but on a long list of projects I'm working on completing this holiday break.

I rotated my tires on the LR4.

Now I'm working on finding and cleaning grounds on the RRC and replacing the starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm.... I moved the Rovers around to allow the vans to get into the shop.  Also just tonight decided to start working on the trailer; moved it onto the pad in front of the shop so I'd have light and started trying to remove the lunette ring.  I have a socket that big (2 5/16), but can't move it with my impact gun.  Not great access, so I couldn't get a long breaker on it.  I think I'm going to pick up a set of oxy-acetaline tanks on Friday, then we'll see how tough it is.... (bwahahaha)

• 2 weeks later...

Spent most of today driving around the Bay area inspecting auto parts stores... Frankly the selection is appalling. It is more of a parts desert out here than the middle of nowhere MidWest...

After conducting said inspections I managed to use the parts I collected to finally get the OM617 fired up. Victory... Onward and rearwards, to the clutch assembly that is  :P

And tomorrow, well let's just say I may not be working on "my" rover....  :blink:  

1b07f45901774f512a6edb6f89b88b8e.jpg7aa71e522fa6b01db9a0bac52083eb76.jpg

Front and rear are done. Just need to strip the rear lug nuts of those stupid caps and fix the panhard / watts link issues in the front and rear and then get aligned. After that, just need to fix all the weird sounds I’m bound to get. Should be good to go for shaver!

Front and rear are done. Just need to strip the rear lug nuts of those stupid caps and fix the panhard / watts link issues in the front and rear and then get aligned. After that, just need to fix all the weird sounds I’m bound to get. Should be good to go for shaver!

The cap removal saga continues...  :D  Nice progress though!

Didn't do a whole lot. Just drove it home and parked it next to it's new friend the 110.  :P

8BU9wjvy6wrghxgSv9Dc919ND4YbrAahV8FrmogR

I should add I took the door panel off and jumped the window motor to roll the window back up before the rains! Seems I have a bit of electrical work in my future!   :P

Converted my rear watts link to a panhard yesterday. The watts link was binding with the new lift. I decided to switch to a panhard rather then getting a new modified watts, which is available through Lucky 8 and RTE and probably others. This option was cheaper (about $100 less), should allow more droop than the modified droop, don’t have to deal replacing the watts bushings. The draw back is it’s more work and the axle shifts a little when the suspension extends.ed1882b577bf300156c5f5ff75acfe4b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Shaver prep!

Replace the rear A-arm ball joint

changed all fluids

greased drivelines

Installed new Northstar battery

Installed new 3-row radiator and dual electric fans

Added a wind deflector behind the seats attached to the cage

D1 rad.jpg

D1 fans.jpg

Edited by DHappel

Shaver prep!

Replace the rear A-arm ball joint

changed all fluids

greased drivelines

Installed new Northstar battery

Installed new 3-row radiator and dual electric fans

Added a wind deflector behind the seats attached to the cage

No Photos of the wind deflector?  Are we talking some sort of canvas structure?

It's just heavy clear vinyl I picked up at TAP, then I riveted some snaps into the cage structure to attach it.  It won't do much to stop wind flow since it's only the top half but it will prevent the back-draft from carrying mist onto the back of your head when driving on the highway in rain.  I'll try to get a pic up later.  If it works out well, I'll have a canvas shop make a proper one that goes full length when I have the top re-done next.

Shot a pic today.  It's made of 2 pieces with the top being thinner material.  Not for any special reason, just that's what widths were available off-the-rack at the TAP in Stockton where I got the stuff.  The various snaps are things I had on-hand for boat canvas repairs.  I picked up a 4' piece of aluminum angle to give me something to attach to on the top, and riveted everything together.  Seems to make a difference in the amount of wind and noise on the highway but the real goal was to prevent mist/rain being sucked back in and slowly soaking the back of your head if you're driving at highway speeds in the rain.  

20190211_125924.jpg

Shot a pic today.  It's made of 2 pieces with the top being thinner material.  Not for any special reason, just that's what widths were available off-the-rack at the TAP in Stockton where I got the stuff.  The various snaps are things I had on-hand for boat canvas repairs.  I picked up a 4' piece of aluminum angle to give me something to attach to on the top, and riveted everything together.  Seems to make a difference in the amount of wind and noise on the highway but the real goal was to prevent mist/rain being sucked back in and slowly soaking the back of your head if you're driving at highway speeds in the rain.  

Sweet,

I still think you should have some drop down sides made for it.  Make it look like a series with the rope tighteners.  

I've considered it, but I like being able to reach into the back easily.  If I put drop down windows I'll have to undo them every time I want to open the rear doors or just reach into the fridge or to grab something from the back.  Plus it will cost more.

I've considered it, but I like being able to reach into the back easily.  If I put drop down windows I'll have to undo them every time I want to open the rear doors or just reach into the fridge or to grab something from the back.  Plus it will cost more.

only when it's raining or snowing.  In the summer, suns out guns out.