2024 Annual Overland: EMHT Segments 3 & 4

12 hours ago, Kevin Yankton said:

Excited about the trip!

Question - is it typically windy?  planning what my sleeping plans will be.  Maybe skip the RTT and do with either groud tent or just sleep inside the D2 Sasha style.

YES...! It can get windy in the lovely Mojave... Sometimes REALLY windy -- like Lutz said -- usually at night. But often times it can be gloriously calm...!

Overall, I like your idea of hunkering down in the back of your truck.

--Paul

15 hours ago, lutz said:

it can get  windy especially at night.  prob be around high 90s during the day and 65 to 75 at night

oof... high 90's may not work out well for my engine, esp on the slow going bits. maybe I should run the block test this wkend! 

On 4/19/2024 at 8:04 AM, PaulD said:

YES...! It can get windy in the lovely Mojave... Sometimes REALLY windy -- like Lutz said -- usually at night. But often times it can be gloriously calm...!

Overall, I like your idea of hunkering down in the back of your truck.

--Paul

It got so bad a couple years ago, and I thought I had an alternator issue, that we went and spent the night in Vegas. Turns out it was one of their worse wind storms that year, the air was super dusty. Caught up the next morning but had to bail that afternoon due to two bad tires, and I borrowed Sasha’s spare for several miles of track till we got to the pavement. Still want to go finish that section to get caught up. 

On 4/16/2024 at 2:42 PM, woodwelsh said:

Bummer.   Did a number on my index finger and the cast will not be off until mid-May at the earliest.

So I am out.    Please send any SWAG my way.    And good thoughts.

Brian Wood Welsh

Major bummer! We will be sure to get your goodies out to you soon! Take care and heal well!

On 4/18/2024 at 7:28 PM, Kevin Yankton said:

Excited about the trip!

Just got back from SCARR and trying to patch the D2 back together.  The 1-2 punch including the Moab trip busted the driveshafts and the rear diff / TrueTrac is dead.  Working with Tom Woods now on the driveshaft and machining an adapter plate to mate the Rover D2 standard flange yoke configuration to a stronger 1350 / 1410.

Question - is it typically windy?  planning what my sleeping plans will be.  Maybe skip the RTT and do with either groud tent or just sleep inside the D2 Sasha style.

We will be up in our rooftop tent with the little one. 

I find that copious amounts of libation will help one sleep through the night... or the nuclear option, Kirkland sleep aides! 🤣

I am going for Sasha style and sleep inside the D2.  I checked out his set up in Moab and copied it for drive to and back from SCARR in Texas and it worked out fine.  I won't have to listen to the zippers gingle, gangle all night long in the wind then also.

Question for the group

1. Chili - I was thinking of making of a batch of my cook off chili that won at the AZLRO event this year and bringing it to feed us one night for dinner.  I can make it normal, which is spicy, or tone it done for the group.  If this is something that would interest you, please reply w your preference. 
  2. Espresso - I will also be brining my Breville Barista espresso maker because I cannot live without my morning espresso.  You are all welcome to partake - bring some milk if you also want to make a fancy coffee.

10 hours ago, Kevin Yankton said:

I am going for Sasha style and sleep inside the D2.  I checked out his set up in Moab and copied it for drive to and back from SCARR in Texas and it worked out fine.  I won't have to listen to the zippers gingle, gangle all night long in the wind then also.

Question for the group

1. Chili - I was thinking of making of a batch of my cook off chili that won at the AZLRO event this year and bringing it to feed us one night for dinner.  I can make it normal, which is spicy, or tone it done for the group.  If this is something that would interest you, please reply w your preference. 
  2. Espresso - I will also be brining my Breville Barista espresso maker because I cannot live without my morning espresso.  You are all welcome to partake - bring some milk if you also want to make a fancy coffee.

Sign me up for the 🌶️🌶️🌶️

On 4/22/2024 at 9:16 AM, Kevin Yankton said:

Question for the group

I want to go on this trip just for the chili and morning latte

On 4/22/2024 at 9:16 AM, Kevin Yankton said:

Question for the group

I'm in for some spice as well.  Also I still owe everyone a rotisserie lamb feast that I'd like to make good on...   I will have plenty of room in my Dometic fridge/freezer if anyone needs it.

So Freaking Sad...

I'm out...

I have found that this EMHT week is working out to be during the intersection of work 1, family, home, and work 2 (yes, Mike Foster: that's 4 axis...!).

So I am going to have to give up my spot.

Have fun, ya'll -- will try to run 3 & 4 in the Fall maybe.

Cheers,

Paul

Miles_at_Camp.jpg

17 minutes ago, PaulD said:

Miles_at_Camp.jpg

Bummer Paul, sorry to hear that! We will pour one out for you and the homies ; ).

And man... that photo is a throwback. It has been three years since we first started to run the EMHT.

I have an old Zodi combo hot water/ shower but it’s life depends on the worlds cheapest flimsiest pump. Yes you can use it, Bring Your Own propane.

9 hours ago, Kevin Yankton said:

Is anyone brining a hot water shower?  I will have plenty of water but no water heater.

On 4/25/2024 at 9:07 PM, PaulD said:

So Freaking Sad...

I'm out...

I have found that this EMHT week is working out to be during the intersection of work 1, family, home, and work 2 (yes, Mike Foster: that's 4 axis...!).

So I am going to have to give up my spot.

Have fun, ya'll -- will try to run 3 & 4 in the Fall maybe.

Cheers,

Paul

Miles_at_Camp.jpg

Bummer, mate.  You will be missed.

I'll save this for next time then,..  

image.thumb.jpeg.68e749bccdc59d18ef0222f36c0b80d4.jpeg

Edited by jcb

Alrighty folks, do your last minute packing and checks! We are 11 days away from the EMHT Segments 3 & 4!

Sasha and I are quickly finalizing the itinerary - I expect we should be able to post it no later than Thursday night. 

On that note, who plans/wants to convoy from the Bay Area?

1 hour ago, woodwelsh said:

Ok.   Surgeon gave me the go ahead to attend with the cast.

I may need a hand once in a while.

Glad you can make it!

I'll see how the itinerary/folks shakes out but will keep in mind you are up in North Bay - we may set a few rendezvous points in the South Bay/Gilroy etc where we can catch you.

Anyone else planning on caravanning?

30 minutes ago, Mr.BlueSky said:

Glad you can make it!

I'll see how the itinerary/folks shakes out but will keep in mind you are up in North Bay - we may set a few rendezvous points in the South Bay/Gilroy etc where we can catch you.

Anyone else planning on caravanning?

Me 😃