2024 Annual Overland: EMHT Segments 3 & 4

image.png

Hello Land Rover People!

We are thrilled to announce that the club will be hosting the Third Annual Overland Event in 2024. 

_____

2024 Overland Event Location:

For 2024, we plan on traversing Segments 3 & 4 of the Eastern Mojave Heritage Trail in Southern California. The route will start near Ludlow and conclude in Needles, CA covering approximately 350 miles. This route is far more remote than those experienced on Segments 1 &2 we traveled in 2022.

The trip highlights are many including petroglyphs, old tank tracks, local history, mines, sprawling scrublands, and of course, incredible desert camping opportunities galore!

Dates and Itinerary:  May 11th - May 19th

• May 11th - Transit Day to Ludlow, CA
  • May 12th - Trail Day 1
  • May 13th - Trail Day 2
  • May 14th - Trail Day 3
  • May 15th - Trail Day 4
  • May 16th - Trail Day 5, Arrival in Needles, CA
  • May 19th - Transit Day Home

As always our pace will depend on a variety of factors including road conditions, speed, interest in stops, etc. Please check back as the itinerary is being put together.

• Cost per driver is $65, $30 per Passenger
    • Members will get a discount and get first grabs at the open slots before we open this to the public.
    • The registration fees will go towards T-shirts, patches and other goodies - we aim to make this a break even event.
  • Registration is LIVE! --> https://forum.norcalrovers.org/store/
  • Registration will be limited to 15 vehicles in order to maintain a manageable event.

Difficulty & Vehicle Requirements:

Stock vehicles are certainly welcome and will likely have no issues on the trail. While the trail is certainly not easy in all places, I expect we can get everyone through without major difficulty.

Adventure trailers are welcome, but expect hitch dragging and tight quarter maneuvering. 

Things to expect:

• Pinstripes are 100% going to happen. Divorce yourself from your paint now.
  • There are many steep drops and rises in and out of washes, depending on what this year's winter brings, the roads could be fine, or a washed out disaster. Vehicles that have low profile front and rear bumpers may see scuffing/contact.

Minimum Vehicle Requirements

• Mechanically Sound Rover (as best as they are)
  • Working E-Brake/Parking Brake
  • 30" tires including full-size spare
  • Recovery Points front and rear
  • Center Differential Lock (CDL) (or other modern equivalent)

Minimum Gear Requirements:

• Enough water for each participant for multiple days
  • Extra Fuel
  • Spare parts and tools
  • Tire Repair Kits
  • Fire Extinguisher
  • First Aid kit

Recommended Vehicle Requirements and gear:

• Armor (rear bumpers, diff guards, sliders)
  • Working winch
  • Vehicle Jack and Tire patch kit
  • Shovel
  • Modern Rovers w Air Suspension should have a SYA kit, air lockout kit equipped, or a GAP tool and know how to use it.

Attendee Drivers:

1. Sasha / SDS
  2. Mike Foster / Mffoster
  3. Kevin Yankton / Kevin Yankton
  4. Jeff / jcb
  5. Brian / woodwelsh
  6. Martin / MHARTD4
  7. Gabriel Wocker / Gabriel Wocker
  8. Lutz / lutz
  9. Johann / yokrieger
  10. Paul / PaulD
  11. Cris / Lithium1330
  12. Rupert / ROVERMAN2
  15. Miles Wynn / Mr.Bluesky

A friendly reminder for those planning on attending to get your signups in sooner than later to ensure a T-shirt is available in your size! We will be aiming to put the order in no later than April 6th. 

Rough Itinerary added to the main post including transit days to and from the event.

1 minute ago, jcb said:

The killer patch warms the cockles of my heart, but I can't imagine where the "Modern Rovers" recommendation came from...  -_- 

I plead the fifth!

I'm wondering if it would be worth the time to create a short video on how to deal with different air suspension faults and a blown airbag? I would love to help make it happen if I can get someone who's more knowledgeable on air suspension.

5 hours ago, Oliver Draffen said:

I'm wondering if it would be worth the time to create a short video on how to deal with different air suspension faults and a blown airbag? I would love to help make it happen if I can get someone who's more knowledgeable on air suspension.

Im not sure about a video, but a cheat card might be a good idea. I’ll work on one.

13 hours ago, lutz said:

moving a few things to hopefully make this trip.on that note how close would we be to hwy on day 5?

I'll try to get some information on this one by Thursday - generally we are usually only 60 minutes or less to pavement.

I'm interested in going, but seeing as I have less than 1 week from when I get out of school till when the trip starts. I likely won't be able to get myself, the truck, or supplies ready in time. I'll see what I can do and make a plan later. But  if anyone has room for an extra person, I'm open to riding with someone!

Wow! A ton of activity over the weekend!

• We are down to 5 open spots left.
  • Oliver needs a seat! : 0
  • Stickers and Patches should arrive soon!
  • Sasha is working to get a T-shirt order in over the next few days.
  • Currently we have:
    • 2x LR3
    • 2x Discovery 2
    • 2x Range Rover Classic
    • 1x LR4
    • 1x L405
    • 1x Discovery 1
    • 1x Defender 110

More updates later this week! 

I'm interested in going, but seeing as I have less than 1 week from when I get out of school till when the trip starts. I likely won't be able to get myself, the truck, or supplies ready in time. I'll see what I can do and make a plan later. But  if anyone has room for an extra person, I'm open to riding with someone!

If I can go, I’ll have room. If you have a ground tent (I actually have a small 2-person you could borrow) and sleeping bag, you could probably run with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/19/2024 at 9:53 PM, pilotgabe said:

If I can go, I’ll have room. If you have a ground tent (I actually have a small 2-person you could borrow) and sleeping bag, you could probably run with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I unfortunately have to withdraw at this moment :(. I got a job on campus and they are requiring me to work graduation week which is the same week as the trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Paul, I have 18”rims on 31”AT tires just 1 spare and a repair kit, have air and 2” lift, H2O,food,radio,sliders,winch,jack.Outside of guides what else is missing?

20 hours ago, ROVRMAN2 said:

Paul, I have 18”rims on 31”AT tires just 1 spare and a repair kit, have air and 2” lift, H2O,food,radio,sliders,winch,jack.Outside of guides what else is missing?

Awesome. Just bring those programming tools for LR3's and all the other logistical bits that Prez mentioned in the original post at the top of this thread. Oh... and firewood...! Everyone needs to bring firewood...!

--Paul

Miles_Hill.jpg

Just getting back from Texas and slowly getting caught back up. Boy, I do not miss premium California gas at $5.50+ a gallon!!

Spent the night about 20 miles outside of Needles Friday night, boy was it warm at 8pm! But it cooled down pretty well for sleeping. 

Sasha is working to compile the campsites we spotted on the scouting trip and then I should have what we need to get a final itinerary out - stay tuned!

On 4/16/2024 at 2:42 PM, woodwelsh said:

Bummer.   Did a number on my index finger and the cast will not be off until mid-May at the earliest.

So I am out.    Please send any SWAG my way.    And good thoughts.

Brian Wood Welsh

Wishing you a speedy recovery! 

Excited about the trip!

Just got back from SCARR and trying to patch the D2 back together.  The 1-2 punch including the Moab trip busted the driveshafts and the rear diff / TrueTrac is dead.  Working with Tom Woods now on the driveshaft and machining an adapter plate to mate the Rover D2 standard flange yoke configuration to a stronger 1350 / 1410.

Question - is it typically windy?  planning what my sleeping plans will be.  Maybe skip the RTT and do with either groud tent or just sleep inside the D2 Sasha style.

1 hour ago, Kevin Yankton said:

Excited about the trip!

Just got back from SCARR and trying to patch the D2 back together.  The 1-2 punch including the Moab trip busted the driveshafts and the rear diff / TrueTrac is dead.  Working with Tom Woods now on the driveshaft and machining an adapter plate to mate the Rover D2 standard flange yoke configuration to a stronger 1350 / 1410.

Question - is it typically windy?  planning what my sleeping plans will be.  Maybe skip the RTT and do with either groud tent or just sleep inside the D2 Sasha style.

it can get  windy especially at night.  prob be around high 90s during the day and 65 to 75 at night

Edited by lutz