June 9-11 MORG at Hell Hole

9 minutes ago, NickK said:

What’s the departure plan Saturday morning? I’ll likely come up Saturday and only camp the one night. 

Btw, I believe there are a few campsites available for reservation on Saturday night only. There are none for Friday and Saturday. 

I will be heading up Saturday morning and will head straight to the trailhead. I may not be there in time for the start of the trail run and may not run the trail myself.  I’ll head down the trail and park somewhere and catch you guys on foot. I wasn’t able to book a site for Saturday night and will squeeze in somewhere. 

1 hour ago, RobertDingli said:

I will be heading up Saturday morning and will head straight to the trailhead. I may not be there in time for the start of the trail run and may not run the trail myself.  I’ll head down the trail and park somewhere and catch you guys on foot. I wasn’t able to book a site for Saturday night and will squeeze in somewhere. 

FYI - I believe Mosquito Ridge Road is still closed just east of Foresthill so you’ll probably want to head in on Wentworth through Georgetown. If anyone’s been out that way lately and knows differently please let us know. 

3 hours ago, RobertDingli said:

Glad you’re coming!  We can talk about the possible Moab trip for later this year!

I am at Stumpy Meadows Campground now with Jeff. We have 4 sites locked down. We could use another couple tho. Right now there are a handful still available. We both came via 50 and Icehouse Road. Weather is warm. So whoever get here first (Mike Foster would be my guess) should go around the loop and try to get spot 31 which is just past Jeff’s D2. After that we should just get whatever is “OPEN” according to post tags in front of each site.

My plus 1 is named nick he got going earlier then I so he'll probably beat me there. He's a lesser class so he's un a orange early bronco. We should be done with graduation in about 1 hr so I'm hoping to roll in around 4ish

Plan to leave around 5-6, so expect to arrive before dark.  I bought fire food to bring along, but then just checked fire restrictions and says to use native wood so I'll leave it behind.  

Hopefully we'll get off work earlier and head up.

It was a great trip and great trail run. Thanks to everybody that made it. We had a good group of 8 run the trail. It was surprisingly not that wet aside from the actual raining, which conveniently started as we approached the hardest section of the trail. We were able to make amazing time with 2.5 hours each direction. We weren’t trying to rush or anything, just had an efficient group of well built vehicles and capable drivers. We were able to get off the trail well before 5 and make a pit stop at Uncle Toms Cabin before heading to camp. It was nice to relax and have beer at the iconic establishment and makes for a nice post trail ritual. And we still had plenty of time to tend to our camp needs before it was campfire time.

The campground worked out fine for us. We had plenty of room. The campground was clean, well groomed, and pretty spaced out, so we were able to socialize at the fire well past curfew without disturbing any neighbors. The space also gave the dogs (and cat) the ability to have a little space to roam before intruding on other camps. Being within a couple miles of Uncle Toms was also nice. It was pricey ($28 for a single, $56 double per night), but I’d stay there again.

Carnage was at a minimum, and we were all able to drive off trail and back to camp and eventually to home sans tow trucks or major repairs. This is always one of my favorite trips and signals the start of the rock crawling season. 

• 1 month later...