June 9-11 MORG at Hell Hole

So I want announce the June MORG that I will be leading. It will be the second weekend 6/9-11) of June instead the traditional first weekend. This is an excellent trip and good warm up for the summer rock crawling season. I am announcing the plans early because it is imperative that you book your campsite well in advance because it will book up.

This MORG will be an overnight and a rock crawling trip. Non rock crawlers can still come and have some fun though. There are plenty of dirt roads and overlanding opportunities in the surround area, not to mention we will be camping at a really nice lake. I will be leading the run down Hell Hole Jeep Trail, but anybody is welcome to plan and lead a run on some of the surrounding trails and forest roads in the area.

The plan will be to camp at French Meadows Canpground next to French Meadows Reservoir. This is a popular campground and usually fills up. Reserve your asap if you plan to come. I already reserved spot 011 for Friday and Saturday nights. Here is a link to reserve a spot: (suggested sports to take would be #007-015)

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/232047

It is a nice, developed campground that is walking distance to the lake. The campground requires a modest fee, but has bathrooms and garbage and running water. The lake also has excellent fishing opportunities and paddling. So even if you don’t want to drive the trail, it’s worth it to come hang out and enjoy a weekend camping at the lake. 

6590713993eef3a521b7715fdc514b05.jpg

We will be running the trail on Saturday with the plan being to leave camp at 9am SHARP. The trail isn’t long, but you’d be surprised and how quickly we always seem to lose daylight. Getting back to camp at night is not uncommon.

Hell Hole Jeep Trail (it’s called a Jeep Trail, otherwise I would not include Jeep in anything) is an out and back rock crawling trail. 

9496e27f75ce794a74e2c238c44aa6fd.jpg

It’s only about 4 miles long, but it very narrow and steep. The first half of the trail will be dropping down to Hell Hole Reservoir and the second half will be coming back up. Depending on our group, I would anticipate it taking 2-3 hours each way with about an hour long break at the bottom. This is a very rewarding trail that will definitely leave you with a sense of accomplishment when you finish the trail. Body damage is a risk as the trail is narrow, but avoidable especially if you have something short like a D90 or something. The trail involves climbing and dropping down ledges and staircase sections. Minimum vehicle will be rock sliders, a lift, 33” tires, and a rear locker. Independent suspension vehicles can come, but they will need to be built and have a winch. Winching is likely for vehicles that just meet the minimum. I have yet to see an independent suspension vehicle do the trail. It would be an impressive challenge to any driver. Maybe we can convince Don to leave the ROKROVR at home 😉 😂 

b823ecd130a7fd98611137488dbdd918.jpg

92f3161393759cb065d5e67bd0ca2f19.jpg

774a0a18b82c20837e74db8fb3dda854.jpg

This is one of my favorite trails to run. This will be my 4th or 5th time leading a run on the trail for the club. I am excited to introduce the trail to folks who haven’t had a chance to run it yet. It is always a challenge for even the most built vehicles and also a good test for the spotters. Please feel free to DM if you have any questions on the trail or trip in general. This is a trip you don’t want to miss and also a great opportunity to test your skills if you’re looking to do other trails like the Rubicon. If you can handle this trail without issue, you’ll be fine for the Rubicon. If you have a lot of issues, it’s a short trail so we can manage any issue and it won’t be the end of the world.

3554cf1ade7e795306f7c28ca038e338.jpg

db262f15740ca977ef1680ccef216dc8.jpg

Edited by Elherbinator

17 hours ago, SDS said:

I got campsite 46. All my favorite sites were already gone.

Better reserve now if you are planning to come. The place tends to fill up…

Are you planning on running the trail? I'm interested to see who's going to attempt it in a lr3 so I can cheat and follow them. :) 

Edited by drafdog

5 minutes ago, drafdog said:

Are you planning on running the trail? I'm interested to see who's going to attempt it in a lr3 so I can cheat and follow them. :) 

Good plan!

Unfortunately, I plan to cheat too by using my “new” D2. 😉

17 hours ago, drafdog said:

I'm planning to run a day trip route for folks who prefer to overland rather than rock crawl. So stock trucks are very welcome. 

Worst case, I am also very happy to sit at camp, possibly fish, kayak or read books. Life is hectic and I am so ready for a slow down ; ).

@RobertDingli are you planning on this trip? We could do a potluck / group dinner plan if you are interested !

1 hour ago, Tyler Mattson said:

We reserved camp spot 10 so hopefully we'll make it up late Friday night in either the 88 or the new to me d1.

Your rovers are multiplying!

My backyard is starting to look like a rover storage lot but they all belong to Julia. And even though I shower her with all these superior orphaned automobiles she still looks upset when I bring one home, I guess I just need to buy more until she's happy.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this topic came up on the recent Podcast, but got a warning about the camp ground not being open for Hell Hole...

Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 12.59.27 PM.png

30 minutes ago, Jethro said:

I think this topic came up on the recent Podcast, but got a warning about the camp ground not being open for Hell Hole...

Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 12.59.27 PM.png

Yeah, but no need to address it yet. We will see how it plays out

• 2 weeks later...