September MORG

I was toying around with some ideas for the September MORG. There were a couple trails I wanted to do (Swamp and Deer Valley), but they would not be accessible for stock and most IS vehicles. So in order to be more inclusive I decided that White Rock Lake would be a good option. There have been some expressed desire from members to revisit this trail and lake, plus September is usually going to be the warmest water you will get in these alpine lakes. I have not been to White Rock, so I am passing the buck to Robert Dingli to act as trail leader and organizer since he has visited the lake several times. Robert will post up more details soon, but here is some of the important info to help you plan:

Dates : September 10-11

Where : White Rock Lake

Type : Overnight and easy trail drive

Vehicles : Any!

Fun : Lots!

Activities : fishing, boating, swimming, etc

Is it every MORG that I can bring a buddy on or is it only certain MORGs?
I have a buddy who has a D1 and he's interested in NCLR club so I was going to ask him if it is allowed! 

The written rule is that non members can come to one MORG as non members. Doesn’t matter which MORG. The idea is to be able to experience a club outing to see if being a member is for them. That applies to all MORGs, but not other trips like the Annual. After that, a membership is technically required to continue to participate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHANGE OF PLAN DUE TO SMOKE FROM MOSQUITO FIRE

Myself and a couple of others are concerned about the projected heavy smoke and poor air quality in the area due to the Mosquito fire.

The new plan is the head to Tamarack Lake south of Hwy 88. I understand this is also a super easy trail suitable for all vehicles. The lake is big enough for similar water sports. This is a totally dispersed campsite with no facilities.

38°36'41.6"N 119°53'57.7"W
https://maps.app.goo.gl/GFn3Nm1CyncvUu486?g_st=ic

Please ignore the directions below

Original post:
Thanks for original post Eric

Yes, the September MORG will take us to beautiful White Rock Lake. It’s about an hour out of Truckee off Hwy I-80. People can either go up Friday or Saturday to return Sunday.

I am hoping to get up there early to secure a prime camping site / set of sites. We might organize a meeting point for those wanting to meet up en-route. I hope to get there earlier, possibly Thursday evening.

Edit: due to work and teenager school dance commitments, I will now be leaving very early on Saturday morning and should be there around lunch time.

The trail to the campsite is not difficult and more of a fire road than an off road trail. It gets a little bumpy in places and you may need to slow down a little. I have taken my L322 there many times and I wouldn’t expect any difficulty or damage for a Land Rover. No special equipment is required.

Activities include kayaking, swimming, hiking and hanging out around the lake. There are possibly 4WD trails to explore but I am not the expert here.

There are plenty of campsites but it can get a little busy. We are hoping the the weekend after the Labor Day long weekend will be a little quieter. Last weekend, the traffic out of the Bay Area on Friday afternoon and then returning on Sunday on the I-80 was horrendous. Choose a travel time to avoid traffic. It will take a minimum of five to six hours to get there from South Bay.

How to get there:
If you enter White Rock Lake into Google Maps, it may take you down a path that is not even a trail. Do not take the suggested quickest route. This happened to me and others the first time and it took at least an extra hour to get there.

Here is a Google Maps pin including a couple of way points to direct you along the preferred route. I have started this route at the Safeway car park on Mission Blvd, Fremont as a possible meeting point for those wanting to travel together from the Bay Area. I’ll leave this up to you to choose where and where to meet as I hope to get there early.

https://goo.gl/maps/xF6sNPT1csNa5VDZ8

Here is a link to Gaia for the route from Truckee to the lake

https://www.gaiagps.com/public/9CE2Dxw2iv1dNb6WQ1t2fXaL

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Robert 4086370426

f994680a0adf7ffebd14727d44d9b034.jpg

86cd90da00e499358bf59b6b12bc397c.jpg
493845f744010ee65b51637499901840.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I plan to come with Anna. We'll bring the dog, but leave the kids to do their scouting somewhere else.

We will drive in on Friday or Saturday. Will know for sure closer to the date. Will bring an inflatable kayak.

Looking forward to it!

WRL is a great spot! Great spot to paddleboard and kayak. There are plenty of trails to explore in the area for more wheeling. Hike up to Mt Lola for some great views and it's right on the Pacific Coast trail. 

Unfortunately fires and charcoal are banned everywhere so bring propane fire pits. 

I'm hoping I can make it but kids sports are killing weekends!

• 2 weeks later...

We are heading out today (Friday) around 1-2pm. I don't want to drive off highway in the dark, so plan to camp close to the beginning of the Fordyce trail where we camped in one of this year's MORGs. After that I expect to be at the turn-off from 80 to the the White Rock Lake by about 10am Saturday morning.

I will be happy to meet up about that time to caravan to the lake with anyone who plans to be there about that time.

My phone # is 8312953879. I will also have my ham on when camping tonight and through Sunday.

Looks like we are having many ways and times people travel to the site this time. Will be interesting to see how we all converge in one place 😉

CHANGE OF PLAN DUE TO SMOKE FROM MOSQUITO FIRE

Myself and a couple of others are concerned about the projected heavy smoke and poor air quality in the area due to the Mosquito fire.

The new plan is the head to Tamarack Lake south of Hwy 88. I understand this is also a super easy trail suitable for all vehicles. The lake is big enough for similar water sports. This is a totally dispersed campsite with no facilities.

38°36'41.6"N 119°53'57.7"W
https://maps.app.goo.gl/GFn3Nm1CyncvUu486?g_st=ic

Further update. We have heard that Tamarack Lake is low right now. The plan is to head there first with nearby Lost Lake East as the backup.

Backup camp spot
4e296fe51b97fe19b7eb5d0c97ecb8d7.jpg

Apologies for all the changes in plan. I did scout the original White Rock Lake site just last weekend but the Mosquito fire has flared up since then.

We had a great weekend at Lost Lakes. No smoke! Will definitely go back. We took road in and Tamarack was too low. Went past Blue Lakes and then to Lost Lakes. Came out straight north to 89. Cool trail with some rocks and steps but most any rover should be able to make it. George Whitehead joined us Saturday afternoon. Liam caught a beautiful trout from the paddleboard!

20220910_142634.jpg

20220911_112225.jpg

20220911_113739.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2022 at 10:04 AM, Teds said:

We had a great weekend at Lost Lakes. No smoke! Will definitely go back. We took road in and Tamarack was too low. Went past Blue Lakes and then to Lost Lakes. Came out straight north to 89. Cool trail with some rocks and steps but most any rover should be able to make it. George Whitehead joined us Saturday afternoon. Liam caught a beautiful trout from the paddleboard!

20220910_142634.jpg

20220911_112225.jpg

20220911_113739.jpg

Awesome scenery! And a good reward for sticking it out! ; )