Snow on the Way

With all this snow falling in the next several days, I’m getting the itch for some snow wheeling. I’m thinking of getting in a run next weekend. It should be good quality snow with this storm being a cold one. I was thinking Bald Mountain or Bowman. I’d be open for whatever though. Who is interested?

A2F07C8E-B06E-4B52-B0E9-73A15B0437D8.jpeg

22 hours ago, Elherbinator said:

With all this snow falling in the next several days, I’m getting the itch for some snow wheeling. I’m thinking of getting in a run next weekend. It should be good quality snow with this storm being a cold one. I was thinking Bald Mountain or Bowman. I’d be open for whatever though. Who is interested?

A2F07C8E-B06E-4B52-B0E9-73A15B0437D8.jpeg

What a Sick Picture!

I have a prior commitment on Friday night but could join Saturday morning, after the drive up from South Bay. Happy to consider camping on Saturday night. 

I was at Bowman the weekend before last. There was not a flake of snow around. It will be interesting to see the difference after a few days.

I’m also happy to camp at Shaver Lake (Camp Edison) for a Bald Mountain run. 

I'm 50/50 for a trip to Bowman. I'd need to be back on the pavement by about 5:30 in the evening so that I can make an obligatory appearance at an xmas party I can't ditch. I'll follow along to see what the plans are so I can assess what time folks will likely hit the trailhead and what time folks will probably make it back to pavement.  Sunset is around 4:45 nowadays, so I'm assuming folks will want to be well on the way back out of Bowman by then. By the way, Jaimy and I drove to Loon Lake today.  About 2' of snow (maybe 3') at that elevation (6400') at about 3 p.m., with another 3 feet likely on the way. Forecasts suggested Bowman (5500' at lake level) could get a pretty good dump of snow before this system is done.   

So the plan at this point is to meet up Saturday morning at 10am at the 76 gas station in Auburn (401 Grass Valley Highway, Auburn)

From there we will head to Bowman through the Town of Washington and up Gaston Rd. 

The plan will be to get to the East end of Bowman Lake and camp. We may not get all the way there, we may not get even close, but that’ll be the plan. If the plan doesn’t work out, then we will find a place to camp along the way. Then we will head out Sunday morning.

Those who want to make a day trip out of it can always just pick a point in the day and turn around and head back. 

So please post up if you’re coming and if you’re going to be camping or just doing a day trip. 

The weather should be good for us and the snow should be pretty deep. Bring wood, warm and dry clothes, plenty of recovery gear (kinetic straps if you got ‘em), bring a good sized shovel (small folding types are useless), air for your tires, and the normal assortment of spares. If you have any specific questions you can post them up or DM me. 

6E52B4EE-C3A8-45F4-9F6B-38F2812CE99F.jpeg

7356526F-17FD-46A8-80C6-77511ADCE5BA.png

6EC50A97-FC66-4798-9D9D-9082313270A6.png

EFD70EEA-47E8-46A7-A708-BD8C585CAFC2.jpeg

Edited by Elherbinator

Oliver and I are going taking the Disco 2. Planning for staying the night but if its too cold or we don't get too far we may drive home at night. We are leaving from San Mateo.

This is so close to Reno I have to go!  If the main group is headed up Rt20 from Auburn then I’ll meet up near where Washington Road hits Rt20.  There’s the Jefferson Creek Scenic overlook on Rt20 less than a quarter mile from the Washington Rd intersection on the south (Auburn) side.  The group will drive right past, so that would be a good place for me to wait - a nice view while making coffee!

8 hours ago, Mffoster said:

This is so close to Reno I have to go!  If the main group is headed up Rt20 from Auburn then I’ll meet up near where Washington Road hits Rt20.  There’s the Jefferson Creek Scenic overlook on Rt20 less than a quarter mile from the Washington Rd intersection on the south (Auburn) side.  The group will drive right past, so that would be a good place for me to wait - a nice view while making coffee!

Note the picture of the map with directions. I am Not sure we will be passing the spot you are referring to. You might as well meet us at the 76 station. It’s right off the exit

I'm planning to go for the day. Because I'm a day tripper, I'd like to roll with the first group (because history suggests we'll be waiting at the 76 for some straggler).

By the way, I believe Mike is planning to meet us right before we turn down the short road into the town of washington (because he's coming in on 20 from i80 westbound). The overlook is right before we turn left and go down the hill into the town.  

Is the planned route from Washington to Bowman Lake up Rt21 or N Bloomfield-Graniteville Rd?  Trying to decide which truck to take.  If we're just potentially pushing deep snow on paved roads I can bring the D110.  If we'll be offroad and more likely to hit ditches/stumps/rocks and stuff I can drive the 90 which has a winch and more skidplates.  Full chains fit either one.

3 hours ago, Mffoster said:

Is the planned route from Washington to Bowman Lake up Rt21 or N Bloomfield-Graniteville Rd?  Trying to decide which truck to take.  If we're just potentially pushing deep snow on paved roads I can bring the D110.  If we'll be offroad and more likely to hit ditches/stumps/rocks and stuff I can drive the 90 which has a winch and more skidplates.  Full chains fit either one.

check out the route I have in the pics above. We go what I guess would be downtown Washington. That would probably be the easiest place to meet up if you coming from 20. They have a Hotel there and maybe a restaurant or a bar. From there we head up Gaston Rd. So if you just get directions to the Washington Hotel then that would get you to where you want to be. My guess is we will be there about 11:30

It will essentially be a snow covered road. It won’t be a trail like Bald Mountain, so the 110 will be fine.