Great American Rover Rally (Take 2) in Moab Sept 13-17

Taking the southern route. 166 to 58 to 15 to 70. Should be leaving Wednesday the 8th 

We are taking the southern route too (152 - I5 - I15 - I70) as of now.

Though I am starting to consider taking I80 over to Fernley and then jumping off and driving US 50 for the fun.

Have to see as we get closer 

50 is a blast I think one of the prettiest drives across the desert. Julia and I will be taking it when we head home fuel is a bit scarce between towns but not bad. Stop off at middle gate Station for a beer and some ice cream.

50 is a blast I think one of the prettiest drives across the desert. Julia and I will be taking it when we head home fuel is a bit scarce between towns but not bad. Stop off at middle gate Station for a beer and some ice cream.

Interest level is increasing ; ).  Middlegate station looks rad.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm finally sorting my travel plans later tonight, but I'll be taking 80 out.  Last time I towed via 50 and Vandingo wasn't super happy dragging that load up some of the hills!  Plus it's actually faster (though longer) to run 80 if you're in a tow pig like I am.

GARR booking time - I'm looking at a condo with 2-car garage and space for another vehicle on the driveway pad.  It's a few miles south of downtown Moab pretty close to the arena where the GARR is happening. (probably 5 minutes drive).  Says there is trailer parking on the road.  3 bedrooms, so I'd have 2 to spare if somebody is interested in sharing.   $2900 for 8 days, 10th-18th  Anybody interested?  I'll likely need to book soon, like in the next 24 hrs, so let me know!  I'll also throw it up on the chats.

On 8/30/2021 at 8:57 AM, Renorover said:

Moab prep well underway. Is there gonna be an nclr get together during the week?post-1380-0-23601600-1630338945_thumb.jpg

We haven't planned anything specific, although several of us will be out early to run a few trails before everything officially kicks off.

7 hours ago, ROVRMAN2 said:

Those planning thru US50 b/c of So Tahoe fires be prepared to take I80 to Reno b4 taking US50. Check on Caltrans b4 you leave. 
Last I heard was Pollock Pines closed to thru traffic. Double check.

Thanks for the tip! That is our plan anyway. Not going anywhere fast on 50 across the mountains with a trailer....

On 9/2/2021 at 12:15 AM, Motz_the_lr3 said:

oh wow I feel very underprepared lol. Im due for oil in 3000 miles, tires are meh and all my air struts are all original from 2005 lol

One life, live it? ; )

Leigh Anne and I are heading out from Reno on Thursday, will be in Moab Thursday night or Friday morning/lunch.  We have a little cabin booked at the Canyonlands RV park on the south side of town.  We’re looking forward to making a couple of runs or preruns on Saturday and Sunday.

Theresa and I have a rough plan thrown (tentatively) together - we are aiming for a leisurely drive out to Moab staying on Highway 50 mostly all the way through Nevada.

We'll likely depart around 1 PM Friday evening with a destination target of Middlegate, NV. They offer dry camping (as well as a pet friendly hotel if preferred).

https://middlegatestation.webs.com/

In the morning, we'll eat there then hit the road; possibly stopping by a couple hot springs (likely won't get in due to it being summer, but will check them out nonetheless)

If we make good time we should hit Moab that evening. If we get distracted with more stop-offs we'll overnight at Salina Reservoir CUA Dispersed campground and drive the last 3 hours early Sunday morning.

If anyone wants to tag along they are certainly welcome : ).

___

Most of the vehicle prep is complete, have a few electrical improvements for Snowflake, need to get packed, and I'd like to get an antenna mounted somewhere on the Silverado before we head out.

See you all soon!

I'm rolling out Wednesday morning taking 80.  Not sure on departure time as I haven't even thought about packing as yet and have a full work day tomorrow; don't expect to get home until around 8p.  Vandingo is ready to go (other than packing) and got the funky rear diff noise sorted thanks to Scully over the weekend.  Just have to do a quick oil change on the diff and maybe the motor on the Disco tonight then load it up Wed morning to get on the road.

Chatted with Chuck and looks like he's going to be there early as well.  I'll set up camp for the first couple nights at the arena then have a hotel the rest of the time so Michele can do some work while there.

We'll do some pre-running of trails before the gig kicks off as Chuck, Lutz, and I are all trail leaders.  Let's hope we don't break anything before the event actually starts!